Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a dedi, now what?????
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Got a dedi, now what?????

I grabbed a dedi from online.net..cheap one :p
now what?? Im completely newbie to this, can anyone lead me to the right way?? on what I need to do now??

Comments

• Care to explain your purpose of purchasing a server?

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited November 2013

what were your plans on using your server? usually im installing nginx, virtualmin or webmin depending on my needs. then doing postfix installs etc etc.

What were you wanting to use your server for?

• @ultimatehostings said:
    Care to explain your purpose of purchasing a server?

I just bought it to playing around.. to gain experience before I seriously move to dedi..

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

1) secure your server
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-security.html

2) think once again why you ordered server in first place, if you still have no answer to that question, i would suggest that you cancel server

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @lukesUbuntu said:
    what were your plans on using your server? usually im installing nginx, virtualmin or webmin depending on my needs. then doing postfix installs etc etc.

What were you wanting to use your server for?

I am love to install virtualmin.. but what is the 1st step.. I install ubuntu with ssh access on the box.. is it right??

• @psycholyzern said:
    I just bought it to playing around.. to gain experience before I seriously move to dedi..

Install kloxo-mr xD a vpn too, maybe some voice stuff or games?

• LowEndCollectors disease now start infecting dedis....

• To install virtualmin;

1) login to your server via ssh

2) wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

3) sh install.sh

• @drserver said:
    2) think once again why you ordered server in first place, if you still have no answer to that question, i would suggest that you cancel server

I dont have specific reason I bought it.. I just want to learn how to manage dedi..just to gain experiences.. is it wrong??

• @psycholyzern said:
    I am love to install virtualmin.. but what is the 1st step.. I install ubuntu with ssh access on the box.. is it right??

Works great with a fresh ubuntu/linux install just follow the steps here http://www.virtualmin.com/download.html

controlling multiple domains from a newbie side of things its good, i like the cluster features webmin has as well.

@psycholyzern said:
    I dont have specific reason I bought it.. I just want to learn how to manage dedi..just to gain experiences.. is it wrong??

ok, you have reason. to learn how to manage dedi...
    now start with security first, that is my suggestion.

• @sc754 said:
    Install kloxo-mr xD a vpn too, maybe some voice stuff or games?

I dont really like kloxo.. maybe because the interface is little messed..

@DalComp said:
    LowEndCollectors disease now start infecting dedis....

:)

@ultimatehostings said:
    To install virtualmin;

3) sh install.sh

Just like that??

• @lukesUbuntu said:
    controlling multiple domains from a newbie side of things its good, i like the cluster features webmin has as well.

virtualmin is my 1st panel used when I bought my 1st vps.. I still love to use it until now.. if the installation on dedi is same like on vps, then I got no problem :)

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @drserver said:
    ok, you have reason. to learn how to manage dedi... now start with security first, that is my suggestion.

Im reading it now.. thanks :)

• hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

• @psycholyzern said:
    hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

just type reboot :)

• @psycholyzern said:
    hey, if I installed a software that need to reboot, can I use shutdown -r 0 via ssh???

Type

reboot

or

reboot now
  • If you want learn. Don't use any panel. For starter, study csf firewall configuration to harden your server. Close all unused port.

• @budi1413 said:
    If you want learn. Don't use any panel. For starter, study csf firewall configuration to harden your server. Close all unused port.

can I know, is it like a vps, I mean, the commands, how to navigate around, is it same like a vps?? I asked before on this forum and many said about complex things, proxmox, virtualization and more complex things.. I used csf before on my vps.. is it same on dedi?

• budi1413 said: Close all unused port.

Ports that aren't used aren't open, so you can't close them :)

I second your suggestion of no panel though....

edited November 2013

@ultimatehostings said:
    To install virtualmin;

3) sh install.sh

2.5) chmod 755 install.sh

• mcmyhostmcmyhost Member
    edited November 2013

@drserver said:
    2.5) chmod 755 install.ch

'File not Found'

• @budi1413 said:
    Close all unused port.

why

Sorry i have misstyped extension. It should be .sh. i will edit post above

• @drserver said:

Not needed when you run it with sh, you only need to chmod when you execute any shell script as ./script_name

• @sleddog said:

By default, there'll some unused port that will be open by csf.

@texteditor said:
    why

Not sure. But usually i will only open the port that i use. :D

• @psycholyzern said:
    can I know, is it like a vps, I mean, the commands, how to navigate around, is it same like a vps?? I asked before on this forum and many said about complex things, proxmox, virtualization and more complex things.. I used csf before on my vps.. is it same on dedi?

Yes, it is the same. :)

• budi1413 said: By default, there'll some unused port that will be open by csf.

I always thought csf was an interface to iptables. Didn't know it listened on ports.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @sleddog said:
    I always thought csf was an interface to iptables. Didn't know it listened on ports.

Yeah csf is the easier way to manage iptables. :p

• Once you get it the way you want, if you have no other use. Donate cycles to the boinc project. Setting boinc-client up, monitoring and making it work can provide some useful Linux experience.