Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU Provider similar to Linode? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU Provider similar to Linode?

Comments

• @liam said: America never had an empire it should just bow down to their almighty rulers. Otherwise beware..

?

• @liam said: I'm trying to say we invented the english language... It should be an English flag not american next to 'English'.

True, I mean when you goto a site you don't expect the Argentinian or Mexican flag to represent Spanish.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @liam said: It should be an English flag not american next to 'English'.

Actually it should be a British flag, i doubt that many people would recognize the English flag :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@Daniel said: True, I mean when you goto a site you don't expect the Argentinian or Mexican flag to represent Spanish.

+1 on that.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Actually it should be a British flag, i doubt that many people would recognize the English flag :D

Well English is the official language in the UK anyway, and the union jack represents England too), so makes sense to use it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2012

@liam said: Exactly. French don't have a canadian flag next to theirs.

But most people in Canada speak English.

@liam said: To be fair other than England, the countries in the 'uk' are quite poor, England gives them money to survive otherwise most of them would be like Greece.

Eh, not really. Most of the oil and gas comes from Scotland (although not a lot of it is left).

But Wales mostly rely on the UK Government, but thats because a lot of jobs there depended on the steel and mining industry, and that went bust.

But the attempt to bring back the dead languages is rather silly. Speaking Gaelic is like choosing to use a horse and cart over a car.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Daniel said: True, I mean when you goto a site you don't expect the Argentinian or Mexican flag to represent Spanish.

It is on movies :P

• You folks realize that there are different dialects for languages, yes?

American English != British English. If you use 'flavour', slap the UK flag on it. If "flavor", the US.

French != Canadian French != Cajun. Same principles. Ditto with Spanish and plenty of other languages.

Does it really matter, anyways? Anti-[country] sentiments are just one more thing that keep us divided.

• u4iau4ia Member

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about color/colour :)
    Well spoken, sir.

• @Aldryic said: that keep us divided.

I always though national borders did.

• Only if you let them, мой друг.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I think the point is, that British English is what American English originated from.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@liam said: I'm trying to say we invented the english language... It should be an English flag not american next to 'English'.

Actually, the French invented it first, the English (werent really English by then, IMO) ppl just simplified it and added their "flavour" if you ask me (as an impartial observer which knows both at about same level as foreign languages).
    I struggled at French grammar even tho my primary language is a romance language (probably even more complicated than French), but only the "hundreds" of past tenses in English really been a problem at some point and they are there just for the sake of teasing children, not that many are used IRL.

Back to the topic, if location is not an issue, only specs, bw and reputation matter, then I would go with eurovps or leaseweb. From the info I have, tho, leaseweb did listen to the americans in more than one ocasion. No info about eurovps, but that doesnt mean there arent any incidents.
    M

• @Aldryic but the basics are the same, it must take someone really stupid to not figure out that colour and color are the same word.

Argentinian Spanish is different to Spanish Spanish.

• @liam English is Germanic, with some words from German (eg Shit), French, Latin, Danish and so on

• @Daniel - My point exactly... if someone can't figure out that both the US and UK flags represent English, then the national representation of language is too advanced a concept for them anyways.

• What about Goscomb Technologies? http://www.goscomb.net

I've been interested in ordering from them for a couple of months now, based solely on the fact that the vps offering is also multicast capable.

edited March 2012

Arent they in UK ?
    There was a joke during JWB and Tony Blair's times.
    An American and an Englishman were talking in a plane:
    -Gee, says the American guy, I read today that Mr. President's favorite dog just died...
    -Bloody hell, says the Englishman, I had no idea Tony Blair was sick, let alone dying...
    M

• @Maounique said: Arent they in UK ?

There was a joke during JWB and Tony Blair's times.
    An American and an Englishman were talking in a plane:
    -Gee, says the American guy, I read today that Mr. President's favorite dog just died...
    -Bloody hell, says the Englishman, I had no idea Tony Blair was sick, let alone dying...
    M

Haha, we never liked Tony Blair.

I did at first. Been a fan of M Thatcher in my young years when I decided over my career as an Economist and came to understand she was going too far, however, if a real labour PM was in DS 10, then things would have been rebalanced, but TB was never a center, not to mention left leaning guy, he should have increased taxes, instead he gave even more room to the City than the conservatives.
    M

• tsaktsak Member

I would also suggest trying EuroVPS. This is a really reputable vps provider, offering both managed and unmanaged vps.
    Dont worry if the unmanaged link gets you to an other site. They are the same

• I would avoid EuroVPS. I had quite a lot of problems with them (two years ago).

Glesys is very good (Falkenberg, Sweden). FitVPS (Varna, Bulgaria) is also very good and a lot cheaper. Check the list for some other offers in Europe but these two are my favorite.

• @Maounique said: Been a fan of M Thatcher in my young years when I decided over my career as an Economist

How does being a fan of a politician sway one to become an Economist?

edited March 2012

It actually means that the economical stabilisation of UK in one of the worst crisis it had with the loss of the empire and the decline of the obsolete industrial model, what MT did was very close to a miracle.
    I started to look into it and liked the economical thinking (my country was still under the communist party so there was no real thinking into economy, as there is not much thinking in the religion, everything was pre-thought and now was only the forced implementation).
    Soon tho, the neoliberalism became another "religion" and we are suffering the consequences today.
    I looked at what she managed, then I was looking into how she did it, that is why I started to like Economy. She wasnt a great conqueror or leader of a civil rights movement, didnt liberate any land, but emerged victorious against the communism and economic ruin only by applying a sane economic policy in that context. The Keynes-ian model also worked before in the post-crisis/post-war context, but was failing hard in the post-industrial era.
    I think this explains it a bit.
    M

In today times, yes, those policies are bad. In that context it was a different story. We could go on forever with "what would have happened if" kind of stories, but this is not the place :)
    M

• @Daniel said: Your country's government knows nothing of how the internet works, while the EU is trying to keep the internet open, your government aims for the opposite.

I wouldn't necessarily say the government doesn't know how the Internet works... just lobbyist groups like the MPAA/RIAA want to restrict the Internet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

As much as I hate to interrupt this tedious junior high school political discussion, I thought perhaps I might answer the OP by pointing out that Linode has a presence in Europe (UK):

http://www.linode.com/speedtest/

BTW, Linode != LEB. Linode is a HEB :-)

We now return to "Teenage Political Slogans," already in progress.

• @raindog308 said: As much as I hate to interrupt this tedious junior high school political discussion, I thought perhaps I might answer the OP by pointing out that Linode has a presence in Europe (UK):

If you read the thread, you'd know that I do have a Linode in London, but feel unsafe due to where Linode are based.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • I gotta say, the LeaseWeb Express Cloud is pretty terrible.

I get write speeds of around 25MB/s, download speeds of around 1Mbps and there isn't even any reboot/boot/shutdown/reinstall options in the control panel. All I can do is null route my own IP.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@Daniel, I think you will find that SOPA doesn't exist in the US anymore, as it failed.

And as far as Europe opening the Internet, that's laughable at best.

In Germany you have the Access Impediment Act. Google search results in Germany and France are actively censored per government directive.

In the UK a few years ago the UK's Internet Watch Foundation blocked Wikipedia. British Telecommunications ISP passes Internet traffic through a service called Cleanfeed which uses data provided by the IWF to block websites appearing on their list. When such a page is found, the system creates a "URL not found" error page rather than deliver the actual page or a warning page.

In France if you violate somebody's copyright 3 times (think 3 DMCA notices) you get a lifetime ban from accessing the Internet. In 2011 the Constitutional Council of France validated Article 4 of the LOPPSI 2 law, thereby allowing filtering the Internet without any justice decision. The filtered sites blacklist in France is under the control of the Ministry of the Interior without any independent monitoring. A June 2011 draft executive order implementing Article 18 of the Law for Trust in the Digital Economy (LCEN) would give several French government ministries the power to restrict online content “in case of violation, or where there is a serious risk of violation, of the maintenance of public order, the protection of minors, the protection of public health, the preservation of interests of the national defense, or the protection of physical persons."

In the Netherlands the government has ordered the country-wide blocking of several websites, and the Public Prosecutor has the authority to close down websites without the intervention of a judge.

Europe is just as bad, if not worse, about internet censorship as the US.

Thanked by 1Amfy