Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Gbps VPS is this shared or dedicated?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Gbps VPS is this shared or dedicated?

With so many vps packages been provided, i get lost on the network side of things, i see lots of packages saying 1Gbps on a VPS but then i see dedicated servers only showing a 100MB connection.

My question is (maybe stupid question)

Does it usually mean that the vps is on a 1Gbps connection but that connection is shared with others or is this a dedicated 1Gbps connection for your VPS?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It is shared in almost every case, unless specified as dedicated.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

@jarland said:
    It is shared in almost every case, unless specified as dedicated.

Which most likely is still going to be shared - maybe less shared. Even if you do 50mbit per VPS there's going to be more than 20 VPS on the server.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • 100Mbit and 1Gbit for any reasonable price aren't dedicated, whether on a dedi or VPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

A dedicated 1 Gbps guaranteed costs about 700 Eur around here.

• Maounique said: A dedicated 1 Gbps guaranteed costs about 700 Eur around here.

And that's from a cheap provider/mix.

edited November 2013

Actually, no, it is guaranteed L3. Cheap provider mix best effort for local MAN (min 250 mbps international) is some 15 Eur.

• @Maounique You mean Level3.net sells at 700Eur/Gbps? Man, i've missed the news.

No they dont, I can buy that indirectly.

• @rds100 said:
    Maounique You mean Level3.net sells at 700Eur/Gbps? Man, i've missed the news.

level3 in Euro is a lot less than level3 in USA. Just like Telia is a lot less in USA.

• @concerto49 still they were like 4000Eur/Gbps last time we used them (about 2 years ago).

@rds100 said:
    about 2 years ago

That is a very long time, also quality decreased, we had numerous flaps and interruptions due to routes collapsing, perhaps that is only in Italy, though.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    concerto49 still they were like 4000Eur/Gbps last time we used them (about 2 years ago).

It mostly depend on the commit, with a few giga of commit the price can be lowered...

• I also saw the quality decrease, 2 years ago. They were just not worth the high price any more, that's why we dropped them. I guess it's not just an Italy thing.

• Most VPS nodes connect at 1G while most dedicated servers start out with a 100MB/s connection with 1GB/s connection as an upgrade.

• @concerto49 said:
    Which most likely is still going to be shared - maybe less shared. Even if you do 50mbit per VPS there's going to be more than 20 VPS on the server.

...and the connection on the server itself probably isn't dedicated either if it's a cheap server and the server will be sharing the uplink with the other servers in the rack.

Hetzner gave an honest explanation of their bandwidth sharing on WHT:

If theres more than one switch in the rack, it could be a 24x100mbit ports with 1gbit uplink, ofcause that does not leave 100mbit for everyone at everytime, but it does allow one user to burst to 100mbit, probaly most of the time.

If the server is in datacenter 10 or more (Falkenstein datacenter park), we use that kind of setup. We have never seen the GBit port maxed out by the twenty 100 MBit connections. We do not sell any flat rates - the typical usage per server at our server farm is about 1,2 Mbit per server.

This means that there is plenty of free capacity on the uplink site - anytime.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @DomainBop said:
    ...and the connection on the server itself probably isn't dedicated either if it's a cheap server and the server will be sharing the uplink with the other servers in the rack.

It has to be that way. Even if you say have 2x10G uplink. The switch has 48 ports. So if they are all 1G servers - you're still not dedicated dedicated.

It all comes down to what reasonable average speed you're getting vs all the marketing and wording bs. I mean someone could give you real dedicated 1gb link and it could suck compared to a shared premium 1gb link. Who knows.

edited November 2013

concerto49 said: I mean someone could give you real dedicated 1gb link and it could suck compared to a shared premium 1gb link. Who knows.

I know, traffic and bw were my main concern for years. There is no point to argue if the speed is not what was promised, you simply jump ship.

• No provider would have 1Gbps dedicated port on each vps and if they say they do they are either lying or don't understand how bandwidth works.

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

It's all scam, 8 times cross connect has been a telecom policy for 20 years, and transit providers, datacenters, dedicated server sellers and VPS providers do this or in worse format.

Literally nothing is dedicated, guaranteed at best (calculated to never max out capacity)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@lukesUbuntu said:
    With so many vps packages been provided, i get lost on the network side of things, i see lots of packages saying 1Gbps on a VPS but then i see dedicated servers only showing a 100MB connection.

My question is (maybe stupid question)

Does it usually mean that the vps is on a 1Gbps connection but that connection is shared with others or is this a dedicated 1Gbps connection for your VPS?

Unless your monthly bill approaches $1000 per month, you're on a shared line.

• Literally nothing is dedicated, guaranteed at best (calculated to never max out capacity)

The fact that everything is shared also means you might not see a huge difference in average network speeds between a server with a 100Mbps connection and one with a 1Gbps connection. Here are the network speed tests from 2 of my dedicated servers: server #1 is 100Mbps bandwidth, server #2 is 1000Mbps. Both servers are from the same provider in the same location

Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full  

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  3400.263 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 15777 MB
    Total amount of swap : 11443 MB
    System uptime :   44 days, 2:25,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 85.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 11.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 8.65MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.09MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 54.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.29MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.10MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 8.90MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.7MB/s 
    I/O speed :  735 MB/s
    Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full  

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 31942 MB
    Total amount of swap : 18536 MB
    System uptime :   17 days, 7:56,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 96.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 7.95MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.14MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 47.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.57MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.70MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.76MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.2MB/s 
    I/O speed :  748 MB/s
    Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • DomainBop said: Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 54.5MB/s

No way this is 100Mbps.

Maybe they are in the same DC and local loop is not throttled/counted.

• Nobody does that in western europe, thats an RDS/RO/BG thing.