Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use cpu (non-ECC) in ECC supported mainboard
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use cpu (non-ECC) in ECC supported mainboard

Hi!
SO, I'm absolutelly newbye in server technics, I try to build a cheap server.
I would like to ask, may I use cpu's (eg:Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6420 or Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400) in ECC supported mainboard?
I can't get any information about if is ECC supported.
Is important only the mainboard and the RAM is ECC supported?
Thanks for help!

Comments

• Actually, what CPU you may use depends on the processor socket present on the motherboard. Also, if you use even one non-ECC RAM module, all your ECC RAM modules will disable ECC. I think(not sure) that motherboards don't have anything to do with what RAM you might use, ECC or non-ECC. Just the DDRx and the frequency/pins

• The older generations CPU don't have memory controller in them. The memory is connected to the Northbridge, which is on the motherboard. So the memory ECC depends on the Northbridge (motherboard) and not on the CPU.

• The motherboard is for ECC ram and ram modules are with ECC.
    I only have problems with CPU compatibility,if the specification not appear if is with ECC, or not.See on intel homepage:
    http://ark.intel.com/Products/Spec/SLA4T

• Thank you, rds100! You helped me again!