Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Panel : Feathur vs SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Panel : Feathur vs SolusVM

Hello Guys,
I am a newbie here to LET.
I wanna know which is the best panel for VPS.
Now Blue VM introduced Feathur panel ($3.50/mo per server).
SolusVM is ($10/mo per server).

Which will be the for clients like me?
Which is the best performance?

Pls answer the poll too.

Thanks

Feathur vs SolusVM
  1. Which is the best?83 votes
    1. Feathur
      50.60%
    2. SolusVM
      49.40%

Comments

• Expect biased answers

• @awson said:
    Expect biased answers

Please refrain from being an ass.

Mun

• @Mun said: Please refrain from being an ass.

>

Mun

After you.

awson

• awson said: Expect biased answers

Not sure what you mean by "biased answers"... I'd presume SolusVM would win this, just based on the fact more people have used it than Feathur. I'm kinda interested in the results myself.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

I don't really see how the panel will affect the performance of your VPS.

(Strictly the panel that is)

• I'd recommend start with Feathur since it's free so you can learn the basics, then you'd probably stick to it at the end of the day since it's what you're used to (plus it's cheaper).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think Feathur is an excellent creation, but I think SolusVM is the default winner right now. We know it has had some rough moments, and we may all have horror stories from it, but that's because we've all had years of experience. It's too soon to say. Give Feathur 6 months of roaming around in the wild before making a call, unless you're skilled enough to audit the code...in which case I yield to your opinion entirely.

Thanked by 2Maounique DalComp
  • Both of them not bad, but I can say that feathur is still a little bit buggy.

• @awson, after me? Really, I'm not the one whom came in here and claimed "biased answers". Please don't be insult my intelligence.

Mun

• Feathur get more votes. Which is preferrble by you guys?

• @mazker said:
    Feathur get more votes. Which is preferrble by you guys?

I have used both, and I like feathur. It is very simple, which I enjoy.

Mun

• BlueVM uses Feathur and it is free for private use.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    I think Feathur is an excellent creation, but I think SolusVM is the default winner right now. We know it has had some rough moments, and we may all have horror stories from it, but that's because we've all had years of experience. It's too soon to say. Give Feathur 6 months of roaming around in the wild before making a call, unless you're skilled enough to audit the code...in which case I yield to your opinion entirely.

I agree.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Someday Feathur will kick SolusVM ass. :D

@budi1413 said:
    Someday Feathur will kick SolusVM ass. :D

I definitely hope so.

• Hope feathur will go be better & better with passage of time.
    Not used feathur till now, nor SolusVM admin panel ;)

• @awson This may be a biased answer, but FEATHUR. Having used (on the admin side) HyperVM, SolusVM, and Feathur I much prefer Feathur. Why? It ACTUALLY WORKS. That right there is the biggest feature I consider.

• Feathur definitely is more aesthetically pleasing, awesome and generally more satisfying to use.

But SolusVM has far more support and backing.

But I'm still going to go with Feathur.

• Feathur panel has the highest votes. I think feathur is best.

I am sure got votes for people that never used it.
    The crowd here hates solus for the problems it had.

• Yes. People here hates solusVM as I am a newbie I dont know which is best. I dont have any experience yet. I am getting a opinion from you all.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited November 2013

It's still too early to judge, friend. Though I am very interested to see Feathur's future. It could go far and well :)

• +Feather. Open source (the source is open) is the (optimistic) future of the Internet. On principle, I will always support the transparency and openness that Feather provides.

• @Silvenga said:
    +Feather. Open source (the source is open) is the (optimistic) future of the Internet. On principle, I will always support the transparency and openness that Feather provides.

Open Source != Free Software

@Silvenga said:
    +Feather. Open source (the source is open) is the (optimistic) future of the Internet. On principle, I will always support the transparency and openness that Feather provides.

Yes. It will be easily audited and people will trust it more since peers are looking into it. Not that ioncube would do much difference in the field, but because it was illegal to decrypt, you could be blackmailed to shut up about the vulnerabilities discovered, hence, localhost.re approach to disclose the flaws forcing some action.

• @CastleServers I never said anything about the free'ness of Feather. I just mentioned that the source is open and transparent.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

Nice to see a serious contender and alternative to SolusVM for sure. But better or not, open source or not, I agree with @jarland here and don't see many people jumping on the Feathur bandwagon any time soon. And what a horrible name (Feathur) is, IMHO.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2013

As an end user (a VPS customer, not a hosting provider) I have VPSs that use SolusVM, Feathur, and VirtPanel.

SolusVM - Easy to use and straightforward. I lost a VPS in the attacks last June, which sucked. One provider still shows a SolusVM copyright of 2012, which makes me nervous (have they patched the security issues?). Different providers can have different looks, even if they both use SolusVM.

Feathur - Initially it was buggy, but lately it has been stable, and it keeps improving, which is very encouraging. At this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if it quickly surpasses SolusVM for overall features and usability.

VirtPanel - This product lags behind the others in many ways. The interface is non-intuitive, inconsistent, and quirky. Some basic features are missing, and some features that are shown in the interface do not work.

Common Issues:

All of the control panels lack the most basic documentation for VPS customers. Feature descriptions are nonexistent, and behaviors for the same features between products are inconsistent, even when they control the same virtualization scheme such as OpenVZ. The customer is left to troubleshoot on their own or create wasteful tickets where basic documentation with a clear explanation of each feature would have made the difference.

One example is how passwords are set. Which passwords? Sometimes it isn't clear. It might be the VPS root password or the control panel password, both of which may differ from the account password you use to pay the bills, which may also differ from the support password you use to open tickets… Argh!!

In VirtPanel, the Change Password feature changes both the control panel login password and the VPS root password at the same time. The feature simply says, "Change Password." The description underneath reads, "Change your password." If you want a different root password on your VPS, you must login and change it using the passwd command. Did I mention that you don't run VirtPanel from your VPS provider directly, but through VirtPanel.com? Can you spell MITM? (Sure, they use SSH to connect to your VPS provider's servers, but now you must trust two separate "providers" to get their server security configurations right, in addition to the security/quality of the control panel software itself. If an attacker pwns VirtPanel, then they can chain it down to all of their VPS hosting customers and below that, their end VPS customers, too. Let's hope they got it right, and keep it maintained going forward. (Among their security features, they offer "Bulletproof SQL injection." That's not reassuring. And yeah, I know what they meant.)

On another control panel, the root password you entered is ignored when you reinstall the OS. Instead, the root password is set to something random and unknowable, so you must use the control panel's change root password feature so you can connect to the VPS after the installation. It works and is more secure, but it isn't intuitive, nor is it documented anywhere. On yet another control panel for a KVM VPS, you get one and only one chance to record the root password. I am referring to the predefined templates, not just a .iso installation. It makes sense, but it is isn't documented anywhere either.

Many features have cryptic labels that are of dubious use to the end customer. What is a CTID? It is probably the OpenVZ container ID for my VPS, but does the end customer really need to know it? Why does it clutter up my control panel? Do I really need to know my disk usage and quota in two separate entries of Gbytes and inodes?

The LowEnd VPS market is small, nascent, and evolving at a rapid pace. Still, there remains considerable room for improvement in control panel quality, usability, features, and documentation.

Thanked by 1rsk
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@emg said: On another control panel, the root password you entered is ignored when you reinstall the OS. Instead, the root password is set to something random and unknowable, so you must use the control panel's change root password feature so you can connect to the VPS after the installation. It works and is more secure, but it isn't intuitive, nor is it documented anywhere.

If you are referring to SolusVM, when reinstalling an OpenVZ, the root password is reset to the one you had provided during sign up. The "Change root password" function applies only to the currently running OpenVZ container and does not survive its destruction when reinstalling with a new container, so it defaults to the old one. There is no way of changing it at client level. Why SolusVM did not choose to handle this the same way with OpenVZ as with KVM is beyond me (i.e. generate and display new, random root password when reinstalling). If only for simplicity and consistency, which is something decidedly lacking in SolusVM, as you correctly point out.

• Will see having some more voters as Feathurs winning percentage dropped from 63% to 57%.