Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Premium/Optimised Wordpress Hosting the new thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Premium/Optimised Wordpress Hosting the new thing?

Hello LET,

I have had quite a few requests over that past year to offer premium WP hosting.

I have done some research and setup some test VPS's and it works pretty well.

I would like your opinions, what do you think. Is it worth it?

Comments

• Care to tell what "premium" wordpress is?

• Would it cost less than just buying a VPS? In that case yes, it sounds like a great idea, other wise its not really worth it considering one google search of "how to install wordpress" could basically guide anyone to install wordpress onto their own servers.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Would it cost less than just buying a VPS? In that case yes, it sounds like a great idea, other wise its not really worth it considering one google search of "how to install wordpress" could basically guide anyone to install wordpress onto their own servers.

I would disagree with this. There are lots of bloggers/webmasters who have zero knowledge of, and zero interest in, running their own server.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Honestly hosting wordpress with mod_pagespeed would thrill many people on just that alone. As the internet gets faster in their area, people suddenly wonder "why this wordpress I installed 6 years ago and never touched again, with no caching and tons of 3MB images on the front page is suddenly slow." Because relative to their changing experiences on the rest of the internet, suddenly what always was...becomes a problem. People, in general, are terrible at optimization, and a lack of optimization destroys a Wordpress site.

• ^ I agree --- I have met dozens of bloggers and designers that dont want to run their own server and want a fast, inexpensive,no-hassle wordpress setup.

• wordpress.com

• From these comments I certainly think it's something to do,

I have been testing with a 128MB VPS, Debain 7, Nginx, PHP 5.4 and fastcache.

This can handle upto 10K views and it's still reasonable performance. Also running MySQL and FTP on 89MB RAM.

I can improve this by running the MySQL DB external to the VPS.

• @dano said:
    ^ I agree --- I have met dozens of bloggers and designers that dont want to run their own server and want a fast, inexpensive,no-hassle wordpress setup.

The plan is to offer a completely no-hassle wordpress setup, very inexpensive and fast.

I have done some research and the average price per month is $10 - $45 for Optimised Wordpress.

I will be offering the same service starting at $20/yr.