Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx and dotdeb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx and dotdeb

drmikedrmike Member
edited September 2011 in General

Just to mention Nginx 1.0.5 came down from dotdeb this afternoon.

Says 1.0.6 is available but I'm not getting it:

http://www.dotdeb.org/2011/08/30/nginx-packages-updated-to-1-0-6/

Just an FYI since I live here 24/7.

edit: Strange. 1.0.6 just came down after a reboot from installing 1.0.5. Must of been gremlins.

Comments

• I prefer to compile it, is easy :D

• So if you compile it manually, how do you know when an update is available?

• @drmike -- @yomero eats the RSS feed of the entire Internet for breakfast, lunch and dinner so he knows...

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • nginx.org doesn't have an RSS feed AFAICT. They really should.

Yomero's right about the easy part - it's by far the easiest part of the NMP trifecta to compile. Not quite as easy as using dotdeb, but close.

• LowEndAdmin said: eats the RSS feed of the entire Internet for breakfast, lunch and dinner so he knows...

Exactly

• LowEndAdminLowEndAdmin Member
    edited September 2011

@Eddie -- as of Nginx RSS, this one is close :)

• LowEndAdmin said: @Eddie -- as of Nginx RSS, this one is close :)

Thanks for that. I shouldn't have to find the forum to get an announcement feed, though. Their .org website is a work-in-progress, and the wiki's getting to be out-of-date (ooh, 1.0!).

• shaanlshaanl Member
    edited September 2011

@drmike I was actually wondering about this last night, same thing happened to me!
    For interests sakes, what is the difference between using dotdeb as the source rather than nginx.org's sources?

• NickMNickM Member
    edited September 2011

dotdeb has precompiled .deb packages. nginx.org only distributes nginx in source form, so you'd have to compile it yourself.

EDIT: dotdeb is actually a debian repository, so you install packages from it using apt/aptitude instead of manually downloading them and installing with dpkg, allowing for easy updates with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade when new packages become available, as well as eliminating the possibility of conflicting with official debian packages.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • Thank you @NickM

• you can get a newer version from squeeze backports.

I switched from using the dotdeb version to the backports one without any problem.

ditto for tmux and nsd3

just add
    deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list

and after and apt-get update just run
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install nginx
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install tmux
    apt-get install nsd3 dnsutils

and restart your services. Can't remember if you have to reinstall php and some other dependences too, but i got everything up and running in a few minutes

• I shouldn't have to find the forum to get an announcement feed, though.

I wish more providers realized that. Just went through something similar myself. :whistle:

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2011

Actually the 1.0.6 is outdated; wheezy have 1.1.0 and sid 1.1.2.

yomero said: I prefer to compile it, is easy :D

Isn't better to recompile the wheezy/sid package on your machine and use it, rather than compiling it from source?
    At least you get also the debian patches.

• But the 1.1 versions are development builds, not stable builds according to nginx website.
    And yes, maybe you can get a better package coming from the debian repositories, but I wonder... what patches? :P

• Maybe you missed a RSS feed in there.

• LOL mike, no, I mean, what debian patches. I think there is nothing different from the source build to the debian build.

• I don't think there are any Debian-specific patches in the current nginx builds. Maybe he's talking about the configure options so that files install in the standard Debian locations?

• Eddie said: Maybe he's talking about the configure options so that files install in the standard Debian locations?

Yes, I guess that will save you some time. But, that was the idea initially with getting deb packages lol.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2011

Eddie said: I don't think there are any Debian-specific patches in the current nginx builds. Maybe he's talking about the configure options so that files install in the standard Debian locations?

No, I was talking about patches.

I'm too lazy to check the lenny/squeeze version, but I have the wheezy version on my box (is the one that I've backported to Lenny):

stefano@lenny32 ~ $ ls -1 nginx-1.1.0/debian/patches/*
    nginx-1.1.0/debian/patches/607418-ipv6-addresses.diff
    nginx-1.1.0/debian/patches/series
    stefano@lenny32 ~ $ 

series is just a file that list the included patches.

Any package in a debian version (except "unstable" and "testing") is "frozen" and get patched (rather than updating to a new version) to fix bugs or for specific debian needs, at least on "stable".

On wheezy (that is currently "testing") is still possible to update it, but after some time of the package in "unstable". Also even a package in sid will be patched if needed.

Edit: However my suggestion was generic, not bound to version 1.X.Y of nginx. I meant that is better to backport existing packages, that are reviewed, tested and patched (if needed) rather than compiling from source.