Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Checkout going ByeBye: What now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Checkout going ByeBye: What now?

edited October 2013 in General

Hi Everyone,

As many of you will know, Google Checkout is going away :( While I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, what is the current consensus as to which is the preferred alternative for people you cannot, or won't use PayPal?

Currently, we accept PayPal and Credit/Debit cards via NoChex, but I'm looking for a nice 3rd alternative - so some pointers for the LET community would be nice! :)

It was you guys (@asim specifically) that suggested that we use GC.

So tell us, what would you like us (and the many other VPS providers here) to use next?

Cheers

Jonny

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

paypal, stripe, 2checkout ?

• Google Wallet? The rate is min(5%, 1.9% + 30), better than paypal or stripe.

• c0yc0y Member

@Fliphost said:
    paypal, stripe, 2checkout ?

Seconding stripe.

Look into Skrill (they have local bank options like iDeal for NL) or Payza (appearently a lot of asians use them because of PayPal not supporting a lot of Asian countries)

• Amazon Simple Pay is alright.

• @Frost said:
    Look into Skrill (they have local bank options like iDeal for NL) or Payza (appearently a lot of asians use them because of PayPal not supporting a lot of Asian countries)

Mostly only Indians use Payza (from experience). We have it.

@bookstack said:
    Google Wallet? The rate is min(5%, 1.9% + 30), better than paypal or stripe.

Is there a WHMCS module? Couldn't find 1.

• Can't beat Stripe. 2Checkout sucks.

• +1 for Stripe. Fees are about the same as paypal, there aren't any payout minimums and it works well with WHMCS/Hostbill/Blesta or whatever you use.

• Let is go bye bye I never liked it

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited November 2013

Bitcoins! There are a bunch of providers that will let you implement it easily. Some will even eat the exchange rate risk. And charges are very low like 1% and no chargeback risk.

• @Abdussamad if you are going to accept bitcoins you might as well accept cash-in-an-envelope - no transaction fees and no chargeback risk.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Abdussamad if you are going to accept bitcoins you might as well accept cash-in-an-envelope - no transaction fees and no chargeback risk.

There is a big fluctuation risk, though.

• @Maounique what fluctuation risk?

edited November 2013

about the bitcoin, i mean. the exchange rate. It is different from money.
    Also cash can be marked.

• @Maounique i think there was some bitcoin payment gateway that can exchange the bitcoins for USD at the moment of the transactions, so you really get dollars, not bitcoins? Not sure, i haven't used it.

And cash can be marked to trace where it goes. But here we have the opposite problem - with bitcoins (or cash in the mail) the provider doesn't know the identity of the payer. And you know that there are laws that make this problematic, i.e. the provider can't let the client be anonymous or risks getting himself in trouble.

• I am happy with paypal. Simple and almost accepted everywhere. Most used. I live in Korea(south), and they support Korean Banks and debit cards as well as Check/Credit cards.

• Maounique said: There is a big fluctuation risk, though.

That's what I mean by "they eat the exchange rate risk". See here:

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/45095442004/we-now-offer-instant-exchanges-for-merchants-not

But I think they are US only. But you should look into bitpay and others. Maybe they offer this too.

rds100 said:

@Abdussamad if you are going to accept bitcoins you might as well accept cash-in-an-envelope - no transaction fees and no chargeback risk.

Well cash maybe a dirty word where you live but most transactions in my part of the planet are in cash.

Anyway it is of course your choice what you decide to do. The OP asked for a suggestion and this is what I think he should do. IMO centralized payment systems are going the way of the dodo.

• Folks, I'm interested to look into Stripe. While module for WHMCS does everyone recommend? I think there are 2 or 3 available? Does Stripe just accept credit/debits cards like PayPal?

Google Wallet is only for Google Play store things. Doesn't work with WHMCS.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

Sounds like this should be changed to a bitcoin thread. Bitcoin still has 2 problems.

1) It is still subject to large fluctuations in value because of the relatively small market size and the uncertainty that will continue to surround it until it becomes more mainstream.

2) Sooner or later it will have to be regulated somehow so that Govts are satisfied that the issue of illegal activity is addressed. If you don't have the Govts onboard you will never get the banks to play ball. They will continue to fight it tooth and nail because they will continue to see it as a threat to their business. It can't work without banks because you still need to be able to change bitcoins into hard currency eventually. At least until you can use bitcoins to pay bills, buy food etc. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

I think eventually bitcoin will be a viable alternative for most people but it's not there yet.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

We're about to switch over to Stripe.

• @sman said:
    Sounds like this should be changed to a bitcoin thread. Bitcoin still has 2 problems.

1) It is still subject to large fluctuations in value because of the relatively small market size and the uncertainty that will continue to surround it until it becomes more mainstream.

2) Sooner or later it will have to be regulated somehow so that Govts are satisfied that the issue of illegal activity is addressed. If you don't have the Govts onboard you will never get the banks to play ball. They will continue to fight it tooth and nail because they will continue to see it as a threat to their business. It can't work without banks because you still need to be able to change bitcoins into hard currency eventually. At least until you can use bitcoins to pay bills, buy food etc. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

I think eventually bitcoin will be a viable alternative for most people but it's not there yet.

Bitcoins will never be viable, for one major issue. It has a limited supply. There's no way to stop any person(s) from hoarding all the btc for what ever reason they deem fit.

You can't have a limited supply of a currency in circulation. There wouldn't be enough to go around. On top of that, btc rates are way to open to manipulation. Google around, you'll find that many large bitcoin trading sites (MtGox) for example, have been guilty of purposely changing the btc rates to suit their needs. There's no way to regulate that because no single entity controls it.

• G2S (Gate2Shop) also accept CreditCard, PayPal etc.

• Skrill(formerly Moneybookers) is 2nd largest payment method used in the world with about 35+ Million people using it as it works even in those places where paypal does not.It is the best IMO

@Zen said:
    You're totally forgetting about value in currency..

Yes, this means that if someone is hoarding it, the more they do that, the more expensive remaining bitcoins will be so people will trade for fractions of fractions... The trade will still go on so whoever hoarded them will end up with a big loss while the market will not be disturbed much. Only that people which sold at the beginning of the buyout will regret it dearly :P

• We use Paypal, Skrill/Moneybrokoers and adding Bitcoin soon.

• Tsume said:

Bitcoins will never be viable, for one major issue. It has a limited supply. There's no way to stop any person(s) from hoarding all the btc for what ever reason they deem fit.

Bitcoins are divisible to 8 decimal places. The smallest unit is called a satoshi and each coin can be split up into 100 mill of those and all the coins ever mined will total to quadrillions of satoshis. So no shortage of coins.

• Maounique said: Yes, this means that if someone is hoarding it, the more they do that, the more expensive remaining bitcoins will be so people will trade for fractions of fractions... The trade will still go on so whoever hoarded them will end up with a big loss while the market will not be disturbed much. Only that people which sold at the beginning of the buyout will regret it dearly :P

Ofcourse if the one hoarding the bitcoins owns the dollar printing press it doesn't cost him much. Just the cost of paper and ink :)

• @sman said:

1) Yes that is a problem, but primarily because there's still a lot left to be mined

2) What is drugs sold for? Yep, money :-) (there will always be illegal usage with any currency)

• @Tsume said:
    You can't have a limited supply of a currency in circulation. There wouldn't be enough to go around. On top of that, btc rates are way to open to manipulation. Google around, you'll find that many large bitcoin trading sites (MtGox) for example, have been guilty of purposely changing the btc rates to suit their needs. There's no way to regulate that because no single entity controls it.

Just like... stocks..? I don't see the difference with stocks: they're accepted, they "work" and they can be manipulated by VERY big parties, yes. But usually that is hard to keep a secret, it would probably result into another Bitcoin clone (bitcoin is just the beginning of mainstream digital currency)

• Zen said: Besides all of this, current currency is just more if not even more corrupt and fucked up than Bitcoin, talking about manipulation, you obviously haven't taken a look at the past 100 years of economic boom and doom.

That's simply inflation. Just like the bitcoin. It's simple supply and demand.

• @Jonny_Evorack said:
    Hi Everyone,

As many of you will know, Google Checkout is going away :( While I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, what is the current consensus as to which is the preferred alternative for people you cannot, or won't use PayPal?

Currently, we accept PayPal and Credit/Debit cards via NoChex, but I'm looking for a nice 3rd alternative - so some pointers for the LET community would be nice! :)

It was you guys (@asim specifically) that suggested that we use GC.

So tell us, what would you like us (and the many other VPS providers here) to use next?

Cheers

Jonny

I use Stripe and Paypal. Stripe is amazing.