Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH in Canada - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH in Canada

Comments

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited December 2011

@netpioneer said: 36 mini tours de 10000 serveurs chacun=360000 serveurs dediés
    @japon said: Qui qui, je sais

How should I know if that's relevant or not? And sorry, that's not English, or at least it's no English I've seen before.

@japon said: if you don't realize that writing in all caps in a text based media

When did I do that before you stated I was yelling? (AND WHILE WRITING IN ALL CAPS IS TYPICALLY YELLING, writing with SOME caps is not yelling, that's called "emphasis")

I said this in my first post in this thread:

@DimeCadmium said: ...English, motherf*****, do you speak it?!
    Related: (YouTube)
    And yes, he tweeted it, that's definitely conclusive proof. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they'd even think to commit to 360k at this point, since they only have 100k active right now.

YOU (see? emphasis) then said:

@japon said: You might be able to yell at people

When did I use all caps in the above post, the only one I had made in this thread before you said that?

@japon said: and "English, motherf*****" is not yelling

Sorry, for the THIRD time, since you didn't see it before: this is a quote from a pretty comedic scene, used quite frequently in a pretty comedic way. (Oh my god! There's that horrible sin of emphasis again, how dare I?!)

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: How should I know if that's relevant or not? And sorry, that's not English, or at least it's no English I've seen before.

You could have read the English article. It tells all relevant information. We haven't been talking about more nor less. We're just circling around that given information.

@DimeCadmium said: @netpioneer said: 36 mini tours de 10000 serveurs chacun=360000 serveurs dediés

This was a quote by @netpioneer from the twitter post. (And since you don't seem to look up sources: yes, the tweet was not in English. It was an exact quote.) But it seems easier to bluntly write the misunderstandings in your head than actually clicking on links or using Google.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: @netpioneer said: 36 mini tours de 10000 serveurs chacun=360000 serveurs dediés

@japon said: Qui qui, je sais

How should I know if that's relevant or not? And sorry, that's not English, or at least it's no English I've seen before.

That phrase is the "primary" data about the matter.

• @japon said: You could have read the English article. This was a quote by @netpioneer from the twitter post. (And since you don't seem to look up sources: yes, the tweet was not in English) But it seems easier to bluntly write the misunderstandings in your head than actually clicking on links or using Google.

Obviously I've looked at the article, actually, since I've referenced it several times. (In fact, I believe it was referenced on Frantech's IRC before it was even on here; I then read it when this was first posted; I then read it before I replied; I then read it another time in the midst of this thread; and I've now looked art it again) However, since I don't know French and have no means to remember it by, having no way to pronounce it, nor any mnemonics, yes, it had slipped my mind by the time he posted it completely out-of-context here. You're right.

And then yours that quite frankly, I still have no clue what it means. (Well, that's applicable to both, but oh well.)

And then there's the fact that French quotes really have no place on an English forum anyway, if you're going to post them on an English forum, provide a translation of some sort - so that the people here who don't speak French (like... most of us) can read it.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: And then there's the fact that French quotes really have no place on an English forum anyway, if you're going to post them on an English forum, provide a translation of some sort - so that the people here who don't speak French (like... most of us) can read it.

The translation has been provided by the article that links to the tweets. @netpioneer just quoted the tweet to name the actual numbers that need more proof. How could numbers be translated?

edited December 2011

@netpioneer said: That phrase is the "primary" data about the matter.

Uhh, no. That phrase for all I knew and would have ever known was something you had pulled out of your ass, pardon my French... ;) (sorry, I really couldn't resist that one) (and before you QQ, that's what we call a "joke"), because it had no context, no translation, no citation. The "primary" data, I'd say, was the tweet which was posted inline in the OP link; the other linked tweets were secondary because they weren't even in the same page. And I wouldn't have even remembered that one because as I've said, I don't know French.

@japon said: The translation has been provided by the article that links to the tweets. @netpioneer just quoted the tweet to name the actual numbers that need more proof.

Where does that article provide a translation? Without a knowledge of French, I have no clue what the translation is, and therefore how the hell should I know it's provided unless such is stated?

And no, that wasn't a quote, that was a copy-paste.

Edit: yeah, I don't see a "36" nor a "10000" in the article. So I'm not sure how it was "translated in the article".

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: Where does that article provide a translation? Without a knowledge of French, I have no clue what the translation is, and therefore how the hell should I know it's provided unless such is stated?

I feel like explaining the world to a kind. But I try: When journalists write articles they have sources. What they then do is writing a story in the language of their audience. They then might proof their story by providing reference. This has been done. Now if the reference is not in the language the articles provides, a translation is put together in the story as the story. If you want to read the source word by word in your own language than that's not the work of a journalist but a translator. And there even exists one on the net called Google Translate.

edited December 2011

...wow.

So they didn't translate it, they pulled facts from it. Again, there is a difference. To translate is to take the EXACT meaning, as closely as possible, from one language to another. Not to turn it into different words.

And no, it is not my job to take things posted on an English forum and translate them from French. If you are going to post something on an English-speaking board, post them in English for everyone to read. One person using Google Translate is much better than 10, 20, 30, 360,000 people being forced to use Google Translate by that one person. Is it not?

Edit: oh sorry, I forgot to mention - 360,000 people was a joke as well.

• @DimeCadmium said: So they didn't translate it, they pulled facts from it. Again, there is a difference. To translate is to take the EXACT meaning, as closely as possible, from one language to another. Not to turn it into different words.

But you understand the difference between a journalist and a translator?

• Yes, I do. A journalist writes ABOUT something. A translator writes THE something, in a different language.

YOU claimed it had been "translated", i.e. by a "translator".

• Anyways, it's been fun refuting completely irrelevant argument #1 after #2 after #3 after #1 after #4 after #2, but I need my sleep. Bye!

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: Where does that article provide a translation? Without a knowledge of French, I have no clue what the translation is, and therefore how the hell should I know it's provided unless such is stated?

Ok. Crash course French for Dummies:

36 mini tours de 10000 serveurs chacun=360000

36 = 36

mini = mini

-tours de- (advanced French course)

10000 = 10,000

serveurs = servers

-chacun- (advanced French course)

360000 = 360,000

36 mini 10,000 servers = 360,000

Me Tarzan You Jane

Inference: 36 pods with up to 10,000 servers each. DC projected capacity: 360,000 servers.

Thanked by 2japon Derek
  • @DimeCadmium said: YOU claimed it had been "translated"

What more do you want? That the journalist dances the numbers?

edited December 2011

...two seperate tweets. The one in the screenshot was NOT the one he pasted into this thread, and was NOT referenced in the article (other than the link) more than minimally.

No, really though, good try, night.

• @DimeCadmium said: really though, good try

Ok: 360000 (written in French script) = 360000 (written in English script)

• @net said: Is there even 360000 people in canada? Maybe their planning on hucking up a few bears and a few whales.

Yes there's really that many people here. You can pick up some other amazing facts about Canada by watching (and listening) here.

• @ Sleddog I was joking ;) I know (east) canada quite a bit spent many summers on the canadian border in vermont regulary going to montreal, quebec and toronto to name a few places.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

@net said: Sleddog I was joking ;)

So was I. Too subtle? Guess you didn't watch the video :)

• So its getting started. We'll see how that affects the LEB market. ;-)

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2012

i have a friend sent me this link

• @nabo said: So its getting started. We'll see how that affects the LEB market. ;-)

These job offer are there since some time. They have in fact already a part of the datacenter ready for an alpha and they will open for everyone in august. If you can read french, this article is about their new datacenter and they show picture of it. They say that the Kimsufi 2G should be 20$. :D

http://www.pcinpact.com/dossier/ovh-datacenter-canada-montreal-amerique/206-1.htm

• Man, I cannot wait until they open up!

Going to grab me a few servers, if the pricing is anything like their France location.

• innyainnya Member
    edited March 2012

"After opening its data center in eastern Canada(Montreal) it hopes to open another in the West of the continent, in Vancouver or Seattle, and a third­ in the Midwest of the US."

Source: Telecom Paper

• @innya said: "After opening its data center in eastern Canada(Montreal) it hopes to open another in the West of the continent, in Vancouver or Seattle, and a third­ in the Midwest of the US."

Source: Telecom Paper

that just remind me about French Colonial Empire on 17th century.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • nabonabo Member

@Mon5t3r said: that just remind me about French Colonial Empire on 17th century.

So what about Mc Donalds on the other side?

• JTRJTR Member
    edited March 2012

Sounds like the pricing will be identical to the pricing for OVH Europe.

Sounds good on paper, but we'll see.

I'm curious what they're going to do for their 2012 line.

Also, I wonder how much bandwidth their Canadian offers will have.

• dwilddwild Member

And it's official, the alpha test begin tomorrow in the datacenter. I hope my friend in France will be able to get it for me(as I'm not a customer of OVH but he is).

If you can read French:
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?t=9757

• JTRJTR Member

Well, if anyone wants to stalk their CEO or just see a LOT of pictures of OVH ca/eu, well, I found his yfrog profile.

http://yfrog.com/user/olesovhcom/photos