Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad leaving Colocrossing and others! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad leaving Colocrossing and others!

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@jimpop - Fair point :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

What I see is this:

Consolidating servers/locations to cut down on cost because revenue has dipped since the buyout. RLT is just digging themselves in a deeper hole not realizing how the lowend market really works.

What this will accomplish is nothing but more debt. Months from now it will just continue to drop and another consolidation will be needed but at least this time they will be on own IP space and a big announcement will not be needed but more behind the scenes.

Again, this is just my perspective and own "theory" if you will. I dont care if you agree with me or not. Im not trying to bad mouth anyone, just something I see and feel.

Just remember I said it first :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2013

@CVPS_Chris - You may well be right and I am sure you will put a post-it here to remind me if that is the case.

Whilst it's a big change it is being delivered in the right way as the correct option. In fact they certainly appear to have invested in more of the right things and the investment required to do what they are is far in excess of what they would have been paying to rent equipment.

As those providers who own their own equipment and IP space will tell you, it's the right way to go and if anything it's long overdue, certainly for URPad as a brand.

Just as consolidating into fewer locations is also right depending on the path you are steering your business and for that we will just need to accept that they have thought it through and this is the end result.

The lowend market from a providers viewpoint is not really that hard to understand.

You either become known as a $7 or less provider and will never be able to get away from that or make the right money to support you in a reasonable way, or you move away from it and develop a brand that can make money, deliver the right service and be sustainable.

It seems that RLT are taking the latter which would make perfect sense.

But we will see.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • @CVPS_Chris, We appreciate your concerns, but moving to our own equipment means we don't need to oversell to make them work.

@CVPS_Chris said:
    What I see is this:

Consolidating servers/locations to cut down on cost because revenue has dipped since the buyout. RLT is just digging themselves in a deeper hole not realizing how the lowend market really works.

What this will accomplish is nothing but more debt. Months from now it will just continue to drop and another consolidation will be needed but at least this time they will be on own IP space and a big announcement will not be needed but more behind the scenes.

Again, this is just my perspective and own "theory" if you will. I dont care if you agree with me or not. Im not trying to bad mouth anyone, just something I see and feel.

Just remember I said it first :)

• @RLT_RandalB Wait, do you work for Urpad? If so, are you keeping your things in Seattle since thats where you host your dedicated servers? I'm wondering because my VPS is in Seattle and it wasn't mentioned in the email (I believe Urpad uses Sentris for Seattle and that wasn't named either).

• 3 days notice with IP changes is just poor business. Unless you were being booted out of the door by the DC there is a way to plan for this and notify customers ahead of time.

Thanked by 2DragonDF switsys
  • @ShardHostSarah said:
    3 days notice with IP changes is just poor business. Unless you were being booted out of the door by the DC there is a way to plan for this and notify customers ahead of time.

We are starting transferring for everyone in 3 days. If you are a client and wish to delay the move for a week or so please submit a ticket and we will note it on your account.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@Chris Miller ha so you keep for one costumer the server 2 Weeks more running ? lol

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited October 2013

@Chris damn space! Miller

has graciously moved my server already on request, ticket was answered quickly, move was done quickly all files intact everything is hunky dory.

~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2000.195 MHz Total amount of ram : 768 MB Total amount of swap : 256 MB System uptime : 44 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 86.5MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12.9MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 28.9MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.91MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 6.81MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.07MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.26MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 44.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 101MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 17.9MB/s I/O speed : 211 MB/s

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • @Infinity580 said:
    Chris Miller ha so you keep for one costumer the server 2 Weeks more running ? lol

For we can allow the customer to make a decision on where they wish to move to and make any changes on their side if necessary.. If they choose to leave it's upto them.

• The moving around is a hassle, I've had to accommodate this as it's another part that needs to be automated up, changing of SSH details... updating of A records via domain reseller API's etc etc.

It seems that this move offers the provider a greater degree of autonomy, and if that's the case good luck to them. I'd rather see a company adapt than die.

• @skybucks100, Yes, Seattle will be closed.

@skybucks100 said:
    RLT_RandalB Wait, do you work for Urpad? If so, are you keeping your things in Seattle since thats where you host your dedicated servers? I'm wondering because my VPS is in Seattle and it wasn't mentioned in the email (I believe Urpad uses Sentris for Seattle and that wasn't named either).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Houston needs more vps providers. Which DC did you pick here? I've been enjoying CyrusOne.

• Is Urpad client area down or just me?

• We are aware our billing panel is down, it appears we are sustaining a heavy DDoS attack at this time.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited October 2013

@CVPS_Chris - I bet it's Chris..........

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited October 2013

my 3 vps is gone too, is Solus affected too?

• @MorningIris said:
    my 3 vps is gone too, is Solus affected too?

Yes Solus is being affected.

• @RLT_RandalB said:
    skybucks100, Yes, Seattle will be closed.

>

Man, this sucks. I liked how close I was to the Seattle DC (~15 minutes away).. I got such great pings.. :(

@Chris Miller said:
    We are aware our billing panel is down, it appears we are sustaining a heavy DDoS attack at this time.

"Let's see them leave if they can't rsync."

Thanked by 1fisle
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@ATHK, just uncalled for. @RLT_RandalB hope your right and it works out for you, however I still see the E5's being oversold. Just remember oversold does not equal overloaded.

@W1V_Lee did you just suggest that running a lowend vps provider cannot provide liveable income if not more? I would politely disagree with that, and I would also disagree with not being able to sell higher end plans just because we sell lower end.

Well of course it's profitable for CVPS, you have a lot of backing. I'm not knocking it, I know you deny it, but it's actually an excellent plan. No amount of disagreements can make me deny that. Most people don't get the hookups you do though.

• @CVPS_Chris, Everyone has their opinions and I respect yours as much as anyone else's. Best of luck.

@CVPS_Chris said:
    ATHK, just uncalled for. RLT_RandalB hope your right and it works out for you, however I still see the E5's being oversold. Just remember oversold does not equal overloaded.

W1V_Lee did you just suggest that running a lowend vps provider cannot provide liveable income if not more? I would politely disagree with that, and I would also disagree with not being able to sell higher end plans just because we sell lower end.

• Seems I forgot the smiley on that other post, don't take it seriously :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I am curious how large RLT is.

• @Nick_A Contrary to what most people think, we are just a couple of guys.

@Nick_A said:
    I am curious how large RLT is.

• I wish they owned their ip space so i don't need to reconfigure anything. but anyways, it's just an easy update.

• @jcaleb The IP Space we are moving everyone to is owned.

@jcaleb said:
    I wish they owned their ip space so i don't need to reconfigure anything. but anyways, it's just an easy update.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Whatever you do, don't go to the houston location. I've had numerous issues.

• @black what issues have you had?