Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hong Kong or Singapore VPS cost $5 or less per month, possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hong Kong or Singapore VPS cost $5 or less per month, possible?

sundaymousesundaymouse Member
edited August 2013 in Requests

Hi,

I am looking for a VPS located in HK or Singapore for running a Nginx reverse proxy and a private VPN, aming to establish a private Asia-optimized route for some personal projects.

As I am on a budget, I am looking for a box with minimum specs and cost $5/m or under (yearlly payment not preferred):

KVM/Xen PV preferred, OpenVZ OK if rarely any KVM/Xen

a single fully usable core (to make occasional compiles easier)

128MB or more of RAM.

3GB or more of disk space, no RAID required.

decent network peering to most parts of Asia, at least 2Mbit/s of bandwidth

50GB or more transfer.

maxmind thinks my UK home adsl is an open proxy, the provider is happy to defraud an invoice which will be paid by verified PayPal account.

hoster is NOT a national of China mainland, not meant to racist, just due to some bad business experiences.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• $5 or less per month, possible?

Probably not. The cheapest providers in all 3 locations are $7-$9. HongKong: Edis, Singapore: OneAsiaHost, ExpertVM.

• @DomainBop said:

That's why I am asking for a low spec personal-use box, just see if anyone's willing to do it. Lol

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

EDIS. Although I think their network sucks, like worse connectivity to Asia then LA/Seattle.

• @perennate said:
    EDIS. Although I think their network sucks, like worse connectivity to Asia then LA/Seattle.

I also have to pay VAT for their service, making it even more expensive.

• smansman Member

Bandwidth is really expensive in Asia although that seems to be improving a bit with all the recent submarine cables going in. If you don't need much of that maybe you might find something.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited August 2013

@sundaymouse said:
    I also have to pay VAT for their service, making it even more expensive.

Just ask a non-euro to buy it for you? Or go with a provider that doesn't enforce VAT?

Or if none of this works, look into a VPS in Quadranet LA, I believe they have some of the better routing to Asia from the US for cheap.

• JonnesJonnes Member
    edited August 2013

It's impossible in Asia. If you want to connect to Asia fast, I think you should choose S. Korea vps. Hong Kong and Singapore vps is too expensive, because datacenter there cost a lot of money for lands. But...... There are very few way to buy JP and KR vps, they don't think their vps should be bought by foreigners.
    P.S.:Chinese hoster are really bad. Althought I'm Chinese, but I still choose DirectSpace.

• @Jonnes said:
    It's impossible in Asia. If you want to connect to Asia fast, I think you should choose S. Korea vps. Hong Kong and Singapore vps is too expensive, because datacenter there cost a lot of money for lands. But...... There are very few way to buy JP and KR vps, they don't think their vps should be bought by foreigners.
    P.S.:Chinese hoster are really bad. Althought I'm Chinese, but I still choose DirectSpace.

And in some ways there probably was.

• vnetvnet Member

Hongkong international network cost is expensive,
    The lower end of the plan Not suitable for implementation!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

http://www.oneasiahost.com/openvz-vps.htm
    The cheapest OpenVZ is $12/qtr which is $4/month as you asked.

• @rm_ said:
    http://www.oneasiahost.com/openvz-vps.htm
    The cheapest OpenVZ is $12/qtr which is $4/month as you asked.

There you go for Singapore and from EDIS you can get micro kvm paid anually (they accept only annual payment for micro) which even after VAT will be less than 5$ a month.

• @vpnarea, there's an additional EUR30 for HK location. With that are you sure it's still below 5$?

• Sorry, when I signed up it was additional 16eur if I remember correctly, if it's 30eur additional then you may want to wait for the european crisis to dig deeper and you can try back in a year, it might be less than 5$ :)

• ayikayik Member

voxel
    sg.gs
    vps.net (the have cloud in sg)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2013

If Australia interests you then I can meet your requirements. Email [email protected] if you want a quote. :-)

Latency from Adelaide via Perth to Singapore is pretty good (under 100ms). To Hong Kong and China is generally OK as well depending on routing (if it goes from Sydney to Japan or Sydney to Hong Kong it's good, if it goes via the US not so fantastic...)

• @perennate said:

How worse their network? i'm looking for vps located in HK too. Hopefully can get a new provider. Thanks

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@sundaymouse , how about India ?

@horas said:
    How worse their network? i'm looking for vps located in HK too. Hopefully can get a new provider. Thanks

I'm not sure, but I got very high pings to Asia despite the HK location. OneAsiaHost was far better, but they're able to provide the better network because they offer less bandwidth; although I couldn't use OAH because they still use the old kernel that doesn't support vSwap.

You can do ping to hk.edis.at or visit the URL to see the looking glass.

edited September 2013

Here's a few relevant pings to EDIS HK from just-ping.com

Shanghai, China (cnsha01):     Packets lost (10%)  112.4   113.5   116.3   158.255.208.12
    Hong Kong, China (hkhkg01):     Okay    3.5     4.1     5.8     158.255.208.12
    Hangzhou, China (cnhgh01):  Packets lost (10%)  62.9    63.5    64.3    158.255.208.12
    Singapore, Singapore (sgsin01):     Okay    229.3   233.1   236.9   158.255.208.12
    Bangkok, Thailand (thbkk01):    Okay    225.1   227.0   230.8   158.255.208.12
    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (vnsgn01):    Okay    125.1   132.6   143.4   158.255.208.12
    Jakarta, Indonesia (idjkt02):   Okay    59.3    61.4    64.7    158.255.208.12

• If you need another option I can perhaps help. Check out our test IP in Singapore 180.240.133.196 it does seem to give good ping times around the world. If thats ok for what you need, then I can offer you a 128MB package (we don't usually do them,but perhaps we should?)
    Specs would be:
    OpenVZ 128MB RAM, 5GB HDD, 150GB bandwidth
    for $5 USD per month.
    We do have a 14 day money back guarantee so your welcome to try and if not happy we will refund you in full.
    email me at sales at vpsnine dot com if you want this and i will add it for you.

• Here's the same pings to our IP from just-ping.com

Shanghai, China (cnsha01): Okay 63.4 63.7 64.1 180.240.133.196

Hong Kong, China (hkhkg01): Okay 37.3 37.9 38.3 180.240.133.196

Hangzhou, China (cnhgh01): Okay 104.1 107.1 111.8 180.240.133.196

Singapore, Singapore (sgsin01): Okay 2.5 4.5 11.7 180.240.133.196

Bangkok, Thailand (thbkk01): Okay 35.4 36.0 36.7 180.240.133.196

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (vnsgn01): Okay 100.2 100.4 100.6 180.240.133.196

Jakarta, Indonesia (idjkt02): Okay 80.3 80.6 81.7 180.240.133.196

• I have the hongkong xen vps

• @qibinghua said:
    I have the hongkong xen vps

test ip:182.237.0.18

• @qibinghua: how much the price?

• OneAsiaHost has excellent Asian coverage (from Japan/Korea, all of China, all the way down to Indonesia, and over to India/Pakistan/UAE), as well as even Australia.

• Prefer companies located in the same country specially for south Korea , any suggestion?