Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: VolumeDrive Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: VolumeDrive Dedicated Servers

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Thought I would post my review of where they're at right now

http://www.nerdyblog.com/review-volume-drive-dedicated-servers/

Comments

• I'm guessing you haven't been a customer for >1 month when they messed up big time?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

It's not so much as they messed up it's that when I pay for a gigabit port, I expect gigabit or close to it. Truth of the matter is the usual result is about 22-25MB/s which would either mean an over saturated port or no capacity right?

They tried to fix it, but eventually conceded, so I won't be renewing it.

• If you want a gigabit of high quality bandwidth just for you 24/7, expect to pay about $2000-$3000 per month for it. Because that's what a gigabit of real IP transit costs usually (he.net and Cogent excluded).

@rds100 I wasn't expecting 24/7 as it is a burstable gigabit port, however even downloading a file from within their own network doesn't even hit gigabit speeds.

• @agoldenberg said:
    It's not so much as they messed up it's that when I pay for a gigabit port, I expect gigabit or close to it. Truth of the matter is the usual result is about 22-25MB/s which would either mean an over saturated port or no capacity right?

Thats... not what I am talking about. I am talking about them having a 2+ day outage and loosing a percentage of their customers as the DC they owed money to seized some of their servers and denied them access to them.

@Jono20201 ah. I wouldn't know anything about that. I tend to try things against the better judgement of others. I'm not sure how service was at their old DC but right now I feel like even on a cheap gigabit port you should be able to hit somewhere in the 50MB/s area.

On my server with @qps I can hit gigabit almost every single time. Not sustained but the speed gets up there. On VolumeDrive I don't even get near there.

The odd time 1/50-100 I can hit 72MB/s but only to one particular host.

• @rds100 said:
    If you want a gigabit of high quality bandwidth just for you 24/7, expect to pay about $2000-$3000 per month for it. Because that's what a gigabit of real IP transit costs usually (he.net and Cogent excluded).

How much is HE/Cogen's gigabit transit?

• @dnwk depends on the deal you get and the location, but in most big hubs in USA you can get it for $1000 or less per gig.

• @rds100 said:
    dnwk depends on the deal you get and the location, but in most big hubs in USA you can get it for $1000 or less per gig.

That's a huge difference. Why HE/Cogent are so cheap?

• @dnwk said:
    That's a huge difference. Why HE/Cogent are so cheap?

Realistically you can get a lot of providers for <$1000 these days on low commits. Even Telia and Tinet is possible.

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited October 2013

For the sake of not opening that link:

There are many players in the Dedicated Server market these days, however Volume Drive sets itself apart from their competitors with exceptional customer service, and incredible pricing.

The server we are reviewing is specced below:

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 631 Quad-Core Processor
    8GB of RAM
    1TB HDD
    Gigabit Port
    New York Data Center
    Price: $29.95 (Gigabit Port $10 extra) / Month

Benchmark Results

CPU model : AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 631 Quad-Core Processor

Number of cores : 4

CPU frequency : 2600.000 MHz

Total amount of ram : 7852 MB

Total amount of swap : 8095 MB

System uptime : 6 days, 3:21,

Download speed from CacheFly: 7.90MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 26.1MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 21.5MB/s

Needless to say on a gigabit port that comes at an additional charge, these speeds are nowhere near acceptable.

I opened several tickets with support and emailed back and forth with them about the issue. They made every effort to try and figure out the problem, however it has yet to be resolved. If you are taking their 100mbit unmetered connection, then there’s nothing to worry about.

Overall it’s been a good experience, however they cannot adequately service a gigabit port on my server and for that very reason, I will not be keeping the box that I have with them.

Customer Service: 10/10

Support Response Time: 10/10

Above and Beyond: 10/10

Network Speed: 8/10

• @sundaymouse said:

You shouldn't have done that. Google is really thorough these days with duplicate content and these things hurt the SEO rankings.

• Volume Drive is garbage.

• @Jono20201 said:
    Thats... not what I am talking about. I am talking about them having a 2+ day outage and loosing a percentage of their customers as the DC they owed money to seized some of their servers and denied them access to them.

This has been addressed in many threads. We did not owe anyone money, and we have been providing solid service since 2006 in the industry. It was a bumpy start to say the least migrating into our new facility, but since things have been running smoothly.

• @agoldenberg said:

We remember working on this issue with you and can certainly tell you that our network is definitely not over-saturated. We believe we left off with not charging you for the gigabit port at all, left it in place and you said you would be using the server as a 100 Mbps unmetered box. Not a problem at all, but we'd very much like to reopen this issue and make sure any doubts or problems you are seeing with the network are addressed. If you'd still like to cancel your service at the end of the period, not a problem and we are certainly sad to see you leave, but we'll be reaching out to you here shortly to reopen the dialogue and see if we can help.

• @concerto49 said:
    Realistically you can get a lot of providers for <$1000 these days on low commits. Even Telia and Tinet is possible.

TInet will actually be added back into our network blend sometime in the upcoming week.