Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centriohost: lousy way to treat a repeat customer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centriohost: lousy way to treat a repeat customer

Hello folks,

A few minutes ago, after about 3 months being a very satisfied CentrioHost Wildcard AlphaSSL cert customer, I re-entered their site to purchase another cert (for a new domain) and the price has been upped from $10 (which I last saw early this week) to $149...

So I started a "Live chat" with their sales & billing dept to try to figure what was going on; the full transcript is below, but here's a summary:

1) Their representative, "Tiffany J." starts by giving me wrong information (telling me that a wildcard SSL cert can't be purchased for anything less than $100 "anywhere in the world");

2) Then, she tells me to go buy elsewhere when I showed her she was wrong by providing an URL at another reseller that was selling it for $45;

3) Finally she hangs up on me when I wasn't finished talking to her.

This is so ugly (rude and inconsiderate) that I'm posting it here so folks will be advised that trying to do return business with CentrioHost is probably not a good idea... :-/

I mean, it's OK if she or CentrioHost can't do it any cheaper than $149 anymore (never mind the unexplained "internal users only" $100 price), but I don't think it's OK to just tell me to take my business elsewhere, much less hang up in my face when I wasn't finished talking... this is just bad manners.

Cheers,
Vall.

Chat transcript follows:

System is getting started. [Fri Oct 11 05:49:16 2013]
A representative will be connected, please be patient.
Tiffany J. enters the chatroom.

Tiffany J. 05:49:36
Welcome to Centrio Host - Live Chat 24/7. You are currently at Sales and Billing Solution Department.
Hello, This is Tiffany J. from Centrio-Host... How may I assist you today?

Vall 05:49:55
Hi Tiffany

Tiffany J. 05:50:12
Hello, how may I help you?

Vall 05:51:56
I've recently (June) purchased an AlphaSSL cert from CentrioHost for $2, I know that it was a super-promo price, and that the normal price was about $10, so I checked your page again last wednesday and it was being charged $10 as expected. Yesterday, I came on to buy a new wildcard certificate (for another domain) and the price has been upped to $149?!

Tiffany J. 05:52:52
2.5$ and 10$ was promotional pricing. There were 5000 SSL certificates sold out for promotional pricing.

Vall 05:53:57
Now the pricing is 149$, however for special promotion we kept the price 100$ for internal users.
Ah.
You mean I can order for $10 if I log in with my account?

Tiffany J. 05:54:41
No you cant. Internal users who are using our service, they can get it for 100$
Not 10$ unfortunately, you cant get wildcard ssl certificate anywhere at world less than 100$

Vall 05:55:44
hummrmr
Please check this: https://my.garrisonhost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1
They are selling it for $45, the same AlphaSSL wildcard cert

Tiffany J. 05:56:25
Is there anything else I can help you with?
I see, in that case please proceed with them.

Vall 05:57:11
$149 is the price that AlphaSSL charges directly: http://alphassl.com/ssl-certificates/, it ought to be always cheaper from resellers

Tiffany J. 05:57:17
Have a good day.

System 05:57:25
The representative has left the conversation. If you have further questions please leave a message: Leave message. Thank you!

End of Chat Transcript

Comments

• TL;DR they're not going to price-match that other provider. Do what she said and take your business elsewhere, why are you even complaining?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wait, I read this but it looks like you were expecting a $10 wildcard cert?

I think it was a bit rude they the way just brushed your off but the reality is they said they cant match the price, what is the point in beating them over the head with it?

• I just aware about that now from another customer about this thread! What a cheap cunt! We already announce that on sale thread, that the PROMOTIONAL SSL are over, we have 5K SSL on our stock, and all of them sold. Today this person wake up from grave and blaming us to give him another 2$ ssl or, what? If you can find better pricing go elsewhere. We must not give you any 2$ ssl for sure, asshole.

• VallVall Member
    edited October 2013

@awson said:
    TL;DR they're not going to price-match that other provider. Do what she said and take your business elsewhere, why are you even complaining?

Short version: because of their rudeness?

"TL;DR" version: I do think everyone should be civil and show good manners. I certainly expect that from everyone I deal with, specially as a customer, and even more as a repeat customer. Telling me to take my business elsewhere and then hanging up in my face is certainly not good manners. Of course I'm taking my business elsewhere after that, but I think my pals here at LET should know about it.

• Live chats are usually outsourced though I'm not sure about centrio.

But there was an offer, it has ended. End of story ?

• @CentrioHost said:
    I just aware about that now from another customer about this thread! What a cheap cunt! We already announce that on sale thread, that the PROMOTIONAL SSL are over, we have 5K SSL on our stock, and all of them sold. Today this person wake up from grave and blaming us to give him another 2$ ssl or, what? If you can find better pricing go elsewhere. We must not give you any 2$ ssl for sure, asshole.

Wow. Just wow. No need for that kind of language, especially coming from a supposed business. Real professional mate

• @CentrioHost said:
    What a cheap cunt!

@CentrioHost said:
    I just aware about that now from another customer about this thread! What a cheap cunt! We already announce that on sale thread, that the PROMOTIONAL SSL are over, we have 5K SSL on our stock, and all of them sold. Today this person wake up from grave and blaming us to give him another 2$ ssl or, what? If you can find better pricing go elsewhere. We must not give you any 2$ ssl for sure, asshole.

Really... "Cunt" and "asshole", that is how you talk to past/present/future customers in public that make a complaint rather that first try to explain the situation?

Future credibility factor = 0

• @CentrioHost said:

Wow! great show @Centriohost, now you are calling names, and 4-letter ones at that. So being rude to a customer is not just an isolated representative's attitude, it's official policy at your company.

To repeat what I've said already: I'm not complaining about you not being able to give me the promotion price. I'm complaining about rudeness and bad manners. But now I wonder if you even know what those things are...

The good part of the story is that everything is getting documented right here in a public forum, so your future customers will be sure to know exactly who they are dealing with; many thanks to you for that.

• I'm leaving this thread. Thats not my business.

• @raza19 said:
    Live chats are usually outsourced though I'm not sure about centrio.

See their own "official" response above: seems that rudeness and bad manners (and calling customers 4-letter-word names) is their "official" policy.

But there was an offer, it has ended. End of story ?

Nope. End of the story is when the rude and inconsiderate people are shown for what they are, which is happening now.

• rldowling03rldowling03 Member
    edited October 2013

@CentrioHost said:
    I'm leaving this thread. Thats not my business.

I'm confused. Someone's complaining about CentrioHost, and that's your business. How is that not your business? It's exactly your business. Your on damage control now

@CentrioHost said:

Actually you have directly represented your business here.

• @CentrioHost said:

Sure, this is your right. I'm not even telling to go take your name-calling and rudeness to another thread, because as you see, I have better manners than you.

But sure I can't say I'm sorry to see you go. Just don't let the door hit your back on your way out :-)

• @Vall said:

Few people like hitting axes on their feet I guess bcoz centrio did that just now. I was their happy customer until this thread, now I'll remain vigilant.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Really... "Cunt" and "asshole", that is how you talk to past/present/future customers in public that make a complaint rather that first try to explain the situation?

Future credibility factor = 0

Search for them on WHT. Their crediibility factor has been 0 for awhile.

• @rldowling03 said:

@CentrioHost said: I'm leaving this thread. Thats not my business.

I'm confused. Someone's complaining about CentrioHost, and that's your business. > He is that not your business? It's exactly your business

Seems they just moved into the business of rudeness and name calling, and just didn't update their web page yet (it still shows them in their previous business of selling web hosting and assorted services).

I wish them luck, perhaps there's even a good market for that :-)

• Not defending @centriohost but it's amusing to see everyone go crazy because "omggg a provider said a bad word :(((("

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

The truth is, no matter how rude they are, the next time they have SSLs for $2, most of you would line up to buy again.
    That's the sad trend of the industry, and not just this industry too - the low price seems to be the thing that matters most.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited October 2013

i have a couple of ssl certs and reseller account with @centriohost, will absolutly never again purchase from him. :-)

edit: not because of the OP thread, i always knew this was a promo price, but because of the amazingly rude response from the company itself!!!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

CentrioHost, your favorite asshole support Hosting Provider! ~ Since 2007

• VallVall Member
    edited October 2013

@awson said:
    Not defending centriohost but it's amusing to see everyone go crazy because "omggg a provider said a bad word :(((("

Well, if you like being called a "c*nt" and an "*sshole" this is certainly within your rights. But I do think (and it seems that I'm not alone) that a business should show better manners than that towards a customer...

• edited October 2013

@awson said: Not defending centriohost but it's amusing to see everyone go crazy because "omggg a provider said a bad word :(((("

...you do realize the difference between 'saying a bad word' and calling the customer a cunt, right?

• @rds100 said:
    The truth is, no matter how rude they are, the next time they have SSLs for $2, most of you would line up to buy again.
    That's the sad trend of the industry, and not just this industry too - the low price seems to be the thing that matters most.

I completely agree. Plus, proving to sales that there is a cheaper certificate wasn't necessary at all, you could've easily purchased from someone else when they told you that there isn't a certificate < $100 when you know there is. Why not just move on? Going on and proving sales wrong plus posting on LET. That's quite an effort.

• @Vall said:
    Well, if you like being called a "c*nt" and an "*sshole" this is certainly within your rights. But I do think (and it seems that I'm not alone) that a business should show better manners than that towards a customer...

Did he hurt your feelings? :(

• @awson said:
    Not defending centriohost but it's amusing to see everyone go crazy because "omggg a provider said a bad word :(((("

Maybe name calling & swearing are acceptable as being part of business practices where you come from but for me this is a deal breaker because I know I can also be at the receiving end from the same host someday.

Thanked by 1Vall
  • cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited October 2013

feeling are not in account here @awson, just profesional courtesy and basic manners when representing your company.

edit: it is not ok to call a known customer a cunt and asshole...

• @cloromorpho said:
    feeling are not in account here awson, just profesional courtesy and basic manners when representing your company.

yeah tell that to @CVPS_Chris

• another prime example of unprofesional and rude people.

• @rds100 said:

Please "include me out" of this "most of you". I'm most certainly not doing business with these folks again, not only because of their rudeness and bad manners, but also because when they have such low concern for their reputation as their post here shows, surely worse things can't be far behind (if they are not already happening).

I'm certainly happy I paid my previous purchase with them via Paypal and so they never had my credit card number. If I had paid with credit card, I would surely be asking my bank to cancel that card and issue a new one right away. Not saying that they would do fraud, but they could be just as "careless" with their data as they are being with their livechat and LET responses, and then who could say what would happen?

So we as customers should show @Centriohost and the market at large what we won't stand for... which is exactly what I (and many others here) are doing right now.

Thanked by 1yokowasis