Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VPS | East Coast | IPv6 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VPS | East Coast | IPv6

2»

Comments

• @miTgiB said: Ok, what would be less confusing, short of spelling it out completely?

Not everyone can figure out those codes without googling. Instead of "3 letter code denotes airport code for the city VPS will be provided" you can add a legend table or just write what what's what?

I think it's better to have everything explained than sending a potential customer to another site (google), they might get lost in the process.

Try to guess these without google: BRI, BIO, PIK, MAD, VLC, CIA

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian said: "WTF is a CLT?", so I put it in google, BAM AIRPORT CODE.

If you're using google.com (from UK or US) that might be true. But google is displaying content for the regions you're calling it from. So in my google (where .com always redirects to the local) it is not showing airport codes but showing me the explanation of the "Cross Laminated Timber (CLT)" and all Samsung specific products that have CLT in their name, besides various things in my local language.

And I really couldn't make any sense out of "Cross Laminated Timer" and a VPS at Hostigation, sorry @mitgib ;-)

That's the side-effect of the Web 2.0. Web 1.0 gave us an area where information could route globally. Web 2.0 forces us into local circles or peer groups. I kinda like the old days.

But I now figured out that NC is on the east coast. Being one of the 13 first colonies. Heck, now I know why I had to learn that in school years ago. Thanks to my english teacher :-)

• You're a wizard, Quayle.

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: 3 letter code denotes airport code for the city VPS will be provided in

I've taken the IP from your routing page but whenever I do a traceroute to the IPs titled as "Charlotte, NC" it shows me that they're located in Montrose, CO.

Montrose, CO
    United States United States

I get the location from Maxminds GeoIP database.

PS: Could @chief correct the image-code of the forum, if possible? It is incorrect as it needs to be as described on http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics the forum here does only write !() but there's the [] needed for the alt-text.

• @nabo: use img tags instead

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian said: @nabo: use img tags instead

Well, sure that works. But the broken Markdown code comes from the buttons on top of the text-field provided by the forum itself. I guess that should be working then, too. :-)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited February 2012

@nabo said: whenever I do a traceroute to the IPs titled as "Charlotte, NC" it shows me that they're located in Montrose, CO.

And now you've learned the uselessness of GeoIP locations on non-residential IP Space.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: And now you've learned the uselessness of GeoIP locations on non-residential IP Space.

The Maxmind GeoIP isn't any better on my residential IP. It puts me somewhere ~300km away in a different town. I guess its the HQ of the ISP. So how trustworthy is Maxmind then? I took it because the VPS providers use it and I thought it's reliable then.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited February 2012

@nabo said: I guess its the HQ of the ISP.

Yes, it mostly goes on the SWIP address of the range, but it takes MaxMind a few years to catch on if that has changed. There is a LOC line for DNS and I've suggested @Delta add that feature for the nerd factor to Stallion, but I really don't know how much it is being used yet by these Geo Location services.

• Ok, so for every VPS provider that uses Maxmind I've to submit a wrong address or I will get flagged? :-)

• @nabo said: I've to submit a wrong address or I will get flagged?

70km will not flag you, 3,000km will.

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: 70km will not flag you, 3,000km will.

Well it's 300km to be accurate. And it's not even the HQ of the ISP. It's actually leading to a field. Well, we'll see if it works then. :-)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited February 2012

@nabo MaxMind is only a suggestion of possible risk, if I was reviewing your app and saw 150 mile discrepancy of your IP and address, but you were in the service area of the ISP who owned the IP space I would not think twice approving it. It's those that say they live in Utah and use Frantech IP space I ask questions of

Thanked by 1nabo
  • @miTgiB Probably offtopic already, but using link titles, would definitely clear things out a little bit more. (Not sure if your system allows you to edit href link property)