Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡ - Page 72
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 Black Friday / Cyber Monday Official Megathread + Flash Deals ⚡

Comments

• @Mr_Tom said:
    And like I said on IRC, not likely to happen.

Anything is possible with enough harassment IRC messages.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@ferefient said:

@Mr_Tom said:
    And like I said on IRC, not likely to happen.

Anything is possible with enough harassment IRC messages.

Clearly not in this case

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: also held on a second location too in case I get a two-drive-fail, whole-machine-dead, or DC-up-in-smoke situation

Guess why we have been pondering most of this year about buying 2nd place. Deal is 90% done now, mostly waiting for me (Aleksi) to pull the trigger and put that quarter mil down to buy, renovate, build and make the place profitable.

@Nekki said: No there are errors, but the drive hasn't actually failed yet.

Got example?

• @Mr_Tom said: And like I said on IRC, not likely to happen.

OR, just sell it to someone else, for bants.

• Come on, come on

• @AlexBarakov said:

AlphaVPS Flash Sale !!!

€14.99/y - 30 available - 3GB OVZ7 in 5 locations
    https://alphavps.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=382&promocode=0BY3OKM13S

NOTE: Click 'Continue' to view discounted price! If price shows up higher OR it says coupon is no longer valid - this means you've missed it and someone else already used up all the codes!

It this offer with ryzen CPU ?
    What is expected geek benchmark 5 ?

• @Daniel15 said:

@tjn said:

@bubblefish said:
    Why are so many people interested in many TB of storage on a server? I mean sure 1-2 Tb is nice, but why 20 or more?

Simple use case:
    If you have 2 production servers, each one with 500GB of data that needs to be backed up daily and held for 30days - and the backups cannot be incremental (compliance, immutable, DR, bla bla bla):

500gb * 2 servers * 30 days = 30TB

I have never heard of backups not being allowed to be incremental for any sort of compliance purposes. Is that actually a thing?

Also what about Borgbackup? It's not incremental; it just uses deduplication so each unique block is only stored once.

Depends on backup method and the data retention/purging requirements of any regulatory environment you might be in. Incremental backups in the form used by many database systems (full, diffs, logs) can drag out the length of time data is held because you can only easily purge further back than your last full (if a full is dropped the diffs/logs until the next full are useless).

Also what about Borgbackup? It's not incremental; it just uses deduplication so each unique block is only stored once.

Block based snapshots could resolve the above issue, because you can unpick the older versions without losing any of the subsequent points in time, though I've not looked into Borg/similar in any depth myself.

Though there might be bone-headed regulations or bone-headed interpretations of decent regulations (in DayJob we get audited by 3rd parties on behalf of clients, sometimes the clients and/or the auditors can be quite hard of understanding and while this hasn't been a big issue for us I have seen it be for others) that might still be problematical.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Hayashima said: How much it would be, I am very interested. Thank you!

Around 2€ per TB mark. 4x3TB 29€, 4x4TB 35€ -- BF special.
    Sorry there just is a floor below which we cannot go on dedis. AND for 4x3/4x4TB variations you actually need to wait more, not a chance we are changing 8TB to 3/4TB, it needs to be a server which is vacated by previous user(s)

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Next one is also a dedi, not super impressive in terms of deals nor specs, but in an exotic locations. Should be a very interesting choice for providers :wink:

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Outdoor said:

@AlexBarakov said:

AlphaVPS Flash Sale !!!

€14.99/y - 30 available - 3GB OVZ7 in 5 locations
    https://alphavps.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=382&promocode=0BY3OKM13S

NOTE: Click 'Continue' to view discounted price! If price shows up higher OR it says coupon is no longer valid - this means you've missed it and someone else already used up all the codes!

It this offer with ryzen CPU ?
    What is expected geek benchmark 5 ?

These are on v1 and v2 Xeon E5.

Thanked by 1_Nic
  • @FAT32 said:
    Next one is also a dedi, not super impressive in terms of deals nor specs, but in an exotic locations. Should be a very interesting choice for providers :wink:

ShockHosting?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

26/11 16:30

Telasera: 30%* Dedicated Server (32GB $80+/m) in South Africa

Specifications

• 30% all dedicated servers
    • Quantity: 10
    • Promo code: LETDEDIBF21

Example deal

• Intel Xeon 1630v3 (4C/8T) 3.7 Ghz
    • 32GB DDR4 RAM
    • 2 x 480GB Enterprise SSD
    • /29 IPv4 Subnet
    • 10TB Bandwidth @ 100Mbit
    • Self-managed
    • CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu/Windows Extra Cost
    • IPMI - Reboots/Re-Install/Console
    • Promo code: LETDEDIBF21
    • $79.1/m

Note: Although there's also a 30% code on the website, it is limited for one-time use. In LET exclusive, you get it at a recurring price!

@telasera

• Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • I was hoping to find a dedicated with 2TB NVMe for $150/mo or less. Currently using https://lowendbox.com/blog/interserver-offers-ryzen-3600x-dedis-64gb-ram-dual-nvme-drives-in-new-jersey/

Anyone know any?

• @Mr_Tom said: I've got that on a Hetzner box. The drives hit just over 78k hours and reset back to 0 which makes it even worse for trying to get replacement lol. They still work though.

And this is where the have a point, but unless you're a fucking disk-whisperer, you don't know if you've got 2 years or two hours.

Case in point, I'm dropping am SYS dedi because a) you get get it much cheaper now and b) one of the disks has multiple errors logged for the last few weeks. I finished migrating data this morning and the disk finally bit it during the re-install, dodged the bullet by hours.

• @paroxsitic said: Anyone know any?

Hetzner.

• MilonMilon Member
    edited November 2021

Hope to see deals like AlexBarakov posted, but with more RAM or cheaper... because it's OVZ.
    Is it possible? What do you think guys?

• Just woke up from a 4 hour sleep, it's fucking 5AM and I feel like shit. But hey, deals amirite?

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said: And this is where the have a point, but unless you're a fucking disk-whisperer, you don't know if you've got 2 years or two hours.

Normally I guess not an issue as in theory change the disk and the new one is mirrored. But when both disks seem to have identical hours/errors/etc (both of them reset back to 0 at the same Power on hours) it's possible both will fail.

• @jmgcaguicla said:
    Just woke up from a 4 hour sleep, it's fucking 5AM and I feel like shit. But hey, deals amirite?

is this @yoursunny ?

• @Nekki said:

@Mr_Tom said: I've got that on a Hetzner box. The drives hit just over 78k hours and reset back to 0 which makes it even worse for trying to get replacement lol. They still work though.

And this is where the have a point, but unless you're a fucking disk-whisperer, you don't know if you've got 2 years or two hours.

Case in point, I'm dropping am SYS dedi because a) you get get it much cheaper now and b) one of the disks has multiple errors logged for the last few weeks. I finished migrating data this morning and the disk finally bit it during the re-install, dodged the bullet by hours.

Lucky you, smart move.

• @Mr_Tom said: Normally I guess not an issue as in theory change the disk and the new one is mirrored. But when both disks seem to have identical hours/errors/etc (both of them reset back to 0 at the same Power on hours) it's possible both will fail.

Should be OK in theory, but if you're RAID5ed it's squeaky bum time.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

These are only RAID1, so not too bad. It's not a production machine anyway - I was originally seeing how high the hours would go so when they randomly reset back to 0 I was somewhat disapointed lol

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jmgcaguicla said: Just woke up from a 4 hour sleep, it's fucking 5AM and I feel like shit.

Go back to bed.

Wake up in 2 hours, have breakfast and seize the deals!

Thanked by 1jmgcaguicla
  • @Hxxx said: Lucky you, smart move.

Fluke move - if @ariq01 hadn't passed me that super-special @terrahost dedi and the KS-Legend hadn't been released, I wouldn't have made it.

• @ehab said:

@jmgcaguicla said:
    Just woke up from a 4 hour sleep, it's fucking 5AM and I feel like shit. But hey, deals amirite?

is this @yoursunny ?

It's Mr Libido, otherwise known as Habu.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Preparing for the real beast.

• gogogo

• @meilinhost said:
    gogogo

go go power rangers.... daym im old

This discussion has been closed.