Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software

Comments

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited August 2013

@spekk said:
    it looks like there is no open source yet? Anyway, that VPN over ICMP, and VPN over DNS made me change my mind about this program, I will see how I can try it

please inform me if you manage to get tcp over dns work

• i still can not manage on my VPS with local bridge configuration, secureNat is working but not with local bridge i can get the ips from vps but can not get internet and still unable to ping the gateway

tap0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B2:8D:54:79:C8:E0
    inet6 addr: fe80::b08d:54ff:fe79:c8e0/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:6452 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Any open-source development on this? I'm not finding a repository...

• VPN over ICMP and DNS sure is an interesting concept if it works as well as regular VPN. Hope it's not something that can be exploited.

• @sman said:
    VPN over ICMP and DNS sure is an interesting concept if it works as well as regular VPN. Hope it's not something that can be exploited.

"VPN over DNS" doesn't seem to actually use DNS, instead it simply listens on UDP port 53.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Finally got around to setting this up. I love it. For any fellow Mac users, the server admin app works flawlessly under Wine (I use Crossover's implementation).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@lincoln said:
    I made a simple tutorial on how to deploy SoftEther on buyvm.
    http://linc01n.github.com/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/

Thank you, still valid :)

• each time i try to connect to the generated ovpn config file from my softether server manager on my android 2.3 using Openvpn settings application it connects but stops at tls handshake error.please help me out!

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited September 2013

i have not tried the openvpn option but connect android using l2tp and pptp is working flawlessly..... perhaps that route instead? Will try on openvpn later today

• the problem is i can only access the network thrugh udp port 500 so openvpn is my only option..please help me out

• i just tried it, using generated openvpn config file, and it worked at first shot. Perhaps take a look at the log to see what is wrong? make sure you use the remote connect file and have the credential properly setup.

• So, how do you setup SoftEther vpn server to accept PPTP connection? Also, is Cisco IPsec client connection possible?

• @weiyu99 said:
    So, how do you setup SoftEther vpn server to accept PPTP connection? Also, is Cisco IPsec client connection possible?

as I know there is no PPTP connection

It support IPsec

• @belinik said:
    i have not tried the openvpn option but connect android using l2tp and pptp is working flawlessly..... perhaps that route instead? Will try on openvpn later today

Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

• andrewandrew Member
    edited September 2013

@weiyu99 said:
    Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

As @Rami said SoftEther does not support PPTP. So IPsec could help

• @andrew said:
    @weiyu99 said: Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

>

As @Rami said SoftEther does not support PPTP. So IPsec could help

this

Necropost... Anyone have tried it with OpenWRT?

• I tried with Tomato, could get it going, but didn't give it that much effort.

I did it, and restart every 10 seconds. If I use openVPN AS, it works

• I tried to connect to softerther from tomato and dd-wrt. vpn, l2tp doesn't work. restart. Been pulling my hair. I guess I will have to install openvpn AS. netomx, got a good guide on how to install?

• softether is not open source though. you are not sure what it is doing behind the scenes

@dms1899 said:
    I tried to connect to softerther from tomato and dd-wrt. vpn, l2tp doesn't work. restart. Been pulling my hair. I guess I will have to install openvpn AS. netomx, got a good guide on how to install?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/6106/openvpn-community-software-auto-installer-for-centos-5-6-debian-6-and-ubuntu-10-10/p1

I pulled my hairs for WEEKS.

• Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas. Is it possible to run softether and openvpn AS side-by-side?, if i make openvpn to listen on different ports?

Yeah, why not?

• netomx. didn't realize until now that it's your blog i followed when i installed softether server. I used it on weloveservers vps i have, but after a while the tap_soft disappeared and now i can't get it back. so i hade to use the more cpu intense option

• @vampireJ said:
    softether is not open source though. you are not sure what it is doing behind the scenes

Softether will be under the GNU licence. Currently one can browse the old source code. Hopefully, the newest will be released within the year (pending english translation and copyright issues). (http://www.softether.org/5-download/src)

@dms1899 said:
    netomx. didn't realize until now that it's your blog i followed when i installed softether server. I used it on weloveservers vps i have, but after a while the tap_soft disappeared and now i can't get it back. so i hade to use the more cpu intense option

it is not my blog friend :P. if tap_soft dissapeared, try disabling/enablind tun/tap from your VPS's CP again

• @Silvenga said:
    Softether will be under the GNU licence. Currently one can browse the old source code. Hopefully, the newest will be released within the year (pending english translation and copyright issues). (http://www.softether.org/5-download/src)

Softether is now open source! (GPLv2 license)

See: http://www.softether.org/9-about/News/800-open-source

• @netomx said:
    it is not my blog friend :P. if tap_soft dissapeared, try disabling/enablind tun/tap from your VPS's CP again

Do we have to have tun/tap/PPP enabled even for secure NAT setup ?

@quddus said:
    Do we have to have tun/tap/PPP enabled even for secure NAT setup ?

UI don't know :(