Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Orange colored Almalinux logo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange colored Almalinux logo?

Well I might be overreacting a bit but I got this in my mail about 20 minutes ago.

**Hello Boogeyman!

Today we announced the new Chairwoman of the AlmaLinux OS Foundation,
benny Vasquez (yes her first name is with a lowercase b), as Igor Seletskiy of CloudLinux is stepping down in order to fulfil the promise of making AlmaLinux a truly community-owned and governed project with community-driven goals and representation.

This goes in tandem with our announcement last week of open membership in which any community member (for free) or corporate sponsor can join the Foundation and earn the right to vote.

This is a fairly seismic shift for the CentOS community and the fulfilment of a destiny which should have been achieved long ago. You can read our community manager's take here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at any time at [email protected].

Stay tuned.

The AlmaLinux OS Foundation Team**

If anyone can't figure out who is benny Vasquez let me give you a hint. She's behind the orange colored panel.

ยซ1

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

Say no to purple
    And yes to orange..

Orange always boost immunity..

Edited: Hope the orange will not make any paid version of Almalinux

• @ViridWeb said: Say no to purple

Don't make this purple personal.

• I remember reading her tech articles on orange panel website.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sdglhm said:
    I remember reading her tech articles on orange panel website.

Is it the same benny?

Francisco

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • @Francisco said: Is it the same benny?

You bet. She already updated her twitter and linkedin.

https://twitter.com/bennyvasquez
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/bennyvasquez

edited October 2021

@Boogeyman said:

@ViridWeb said: Say no to purple

Don't make this purple personal.

Sorry but...
    Agree with you

• CentOS is the best OS in the world yet.

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • mike1smike1s Member
    edited October 2021

You guys realize benny hasn't been with cPanel in over a year.. right?

• darwdarw Member
    edited October 2021

Mod Edit: un-needed and rude personal attack removed

• verovero Member, Host Rep

And that's not the only person from cPanel in their "board of directors": https://almalinux.org/foundation/members/

• edited October 2021

A feminist and a christian listed as the two things that define her. What could go wrong.. ๐Ÿ˜…

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said: A feminist and a christian listed as the two things that define her. What could go wrong.. ๐Ÿ˜…

What's your point? Either you're a screaming bigot or your point is too subtle for me.

@darw said: benny Vasquez (she/her) is uglier than me

Personally I find people who insist on oddball capitalization of their name to be insufferably pretentious.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, now Home Improvement brings back memories, oh dam.
    I hope for the best.

• @raindog308 said:

@NobodyInteresting said: A feminist and a christian listed as the two things that define her. What could go wrong.. ๐Ÿ˜…

What's your point? Either you're a screaming bigot or your point is too subtle for me.

Anyone that defines their corporate profile, leading with their love for God and feminism, instead of anything even remotely work related, is just bad in my book.

Unless shes from the South. Then its just fine and definitely not surprising :-)

@raindog308 said:

Probably the second one..

For some, people like "Marie Curie" is a perfect example of true feminist.

But for some not shaving underarms are the true symbol of feminism.

edited October 2021

@NobodyInteresting said: Anyone that defines their corporate profile, leading with their love for God and feminism, instead of anything even remotely work related, is just bad in my book.

Fair enough, but isn't that her personal Twitter account?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • jhjh Member

What's with the lowercase b?

Thanked by 1darw
  • @raindog308 said:

@NobodyInteresting said: Anyone that defines their corporate profile, leading with their love for God and feminism, instead of anything even remotely work related, is just bad in my book.

Fair enough, but isn't that her personal Twitter account?

Once you are a public figure - nothing widely available is personal. At least I would not consider it as such, although I could be wrong.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@raindog308 said:

In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by Christians. To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're Christian, and to an atheist like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

I would also argue feminism and Christianity have conflicts of interest.

@darw said: benny Vasquez (she/her) is uglier than me

Personally I find people who insist on oddball capitalization of their name to be insufferably pretentious.

Fuck yes.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@darw said:
    benny Vasquez (she/her) is uglier than me

you made me look up the picture, and it looks like i can finally say i look better than someone.
    probably more feminine as well

Thanked by 1darw
  • darwdarw Member
    edited October 2021

@bruh21 said:

@darw said:
    benny Vasquez (she/her) is uglier than me

you made me look up the picture, and it looks like i can finally say i look better than someone.
    probably more feminine as well

if homer simpson was female... i mean... you become a president of something cool, and your staff picture be like:

• @Francisco said: Is it the same benny?

I think yes. I remember having a lowercase letter. Don't know the reason behind it though.

Can someone please enlighten me what is different when you start your name using a lower case than an uppercase? (English is not my first language)

@darw said:

if homer simpson was female... i mean... you become a president of something cool, and your staff picture be like:

Bald (youtuber) would say "Russian babushka" :) Anyone of us can make terrible photos of ourselves, just not everybody posts them.

@TimboJones said:

In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by Christians. To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're Christian, and to an atheist like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

Don't have to look far. When acquaintance with person starts by presenting ones religion, it's quite hard to accept them seriously afterwards. But all these assessments are very subjective and person yet might prove high professionalism. And I guess she already did it to appear in such important position.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by non-Christians. To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're not Christian, and to an Christian like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

Actually her twitter says:
    potato-eater, wine-drinker, lover of sci-fi. Mgr of Community and DevRel @chef
    . Chair of @AlmaLinux . gratitude + empathy + self-awareness. she/her. vi/vim.

The "feminist and Christian" thing is just a pinned tweet.

And yes, her leading AlmaLinux is a minus in my books and not a plus (but then, I don't care a lot about AL anyway). IMO for a linux leader one who actually says something relevant about himself would be strongly preferable.

@TimboJones said: In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by Christians.

The exact same thing could be said about Muslims, Atheists, Communists, Democrats, Republicans, Buddhists, Hindus, Ohio State Fans, Canadians, even LET Moderators. It's like saying bad things in history have been done by brown-eyed people - so broad as to be meaningless.

All things being equal, I'm more than happy to stack up the evils done by atheists against those prepetrated by Christians or Muslims. By a few orders of magnitude. Heck, let's just count the 20th century for atheists and the case is settled.

My point is not some numeric analysis to tally up which religion is "the best" but rather that it's absurd to say that just because some is a Christian, they are to be viewed with a jaundiced eye. Or an atheist. Or even a nano user.

@TimboJones said: To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're Christian, and to an atheist like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

I don't think anyone said anything about assuming a person is good just because they say they're a Christian. OTOH, I do object to people assuming someone is bad just because they say they're a Christian, which is outright bigotry. And I would say the same for Muslims, and the rest of that list. Well, maybe not Canadians. Or LET Moderators. And, well, nano users, I mean, come on...

@TimboJones said: I would also argue feminism and Christianity have conflicts of interest.

The former is so poorly defined and the latter is such a big tent it's impossible to say without a lot more info.

@darw said: if homer simpson was female... i mean... you become a president of something cool, and your staff picture be like:

What...exactly is in her hair?

• @jsg said:
    In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by non-Christians. To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're not Christian, and to an Christian like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

And yes, her leading AlmaLinux is a minus in my books and not a plus (but then, I don't care a lot about AL anyway). IMO for a linux leader one who actually says something relevant about himself would be strongly preferable.

i am moslem, but very angry for stupid moslem... sorry i am not talking about stupid christian, stupid feminist or stupid atheist

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: What...exactly is in her hair?

>

grass? lettuce?
    lmao

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@pedagang said:

@jsg said:

i am moslem, but very angry for stupid moslem... sorry i am not talking about stupid christian, stupid feminist or stupid atheist

Feel free to replace "Christian" in my post by "Muslim" (or "Hindu", or "Jew", or ...).

The only religion - and yes, it's actually a religion in many cases - I reject is Scientism ("there is no Creator but only a big bang and we humans are but the result of evolution"). Unfortunately though Scientism is a massive and still growing religion.

@raindog308 said:

The exact same thing could be said about Muslims, Atheists, Communists, Democrats, Republicans, Buddhists, Hindus, Ohio State Fans, Canadians, even LET Moderators. It's like saying bad things in history have been done by brown-eyed people - so broad as to be meaningless.

You are so right. Nobody is forcing us to look for patterns. Different people commit crimes, belonging to mafia doesn't prove anything.

@vero said: Different people commit crimes, belonging to mafia doesn't prove anything.

I think you're making a category error there. An organization devoted to committing crimes is different than a broad belief system.

Everyone in the mafia does evil, by definition. Not every Christian or atheist does, but some do. They're not the same thing.

Thanked by 1jsg