Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad moving customers from Iceland to the US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad moving customers from Iceland to the US

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

From the service provider who suspends you if you open 1.5k connections from your container...

They don't ever offer options to choose other European locations. IP change is needed and some customers are given only 24 hours in advance. Great way to say you don't care at all about the service you provide to your customers as long as there is profit.

Dear xxx

In an effort to upgrade our current infrastructure and provide you with updated equipment; we are planning some VPS data migrations beginning this week.

Your IP will be changed during this move and you will be sent an email in a ticket with your new IP.

The following SSD nodes SSDS Protected facility. (Will begin transfer 30th)

The Nodes Golf and Hotel are going to our datacenter in Houston. (Will begin transfer on 25th)

Iceland is being retired and you will have a choice between Houston or our new LA’s DDoS protected facility. (Eligible for transfer to LA on 30th, Houston Available Immediately)

Your server specifications such as ram/disk/bandwidth will not be changed during this move. If you have any additional questions or concerns make sure to contact our help desk. If you are currently a customer of any other LA Locations of ours you may request to be relocated to the new LA nodes as well.

Comments

• A really strange decision. People usually choose Iceland for specific reasons. The last place where these people would want to be hosted is USA.

• im in the same boat, my site is used by about 20 times more Europeans then Americans, but im been forced to move to their LA or Houston Facility...
    Seems their Recent Splurge of 12+ Yearly VPS' have taken a toll and they are looking for a Cheap option out.

• The (only) reason anyone chooses Iceland for hosting is because it has the best free speech/protection of the press laws...brilliant f**king move on Burpad's part forcing a move to the US.

Prediction: 100% of customers find new homes at Edis, 1984 Hosting, Cinipac, Internoc24, and other Iceland providers. 0% migrate to Houston/LA.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Because makes sense, right. Iceland or LA, who really cares, practically the same thing.
    I briefly considered trying out URPad in the past, and that was only because they had Iceland.

• @rm_ said:
    Because makes sense, right. Iceland or LA, who really cares.

Kinda like NYC/New Jersey

• NYC / New Jersey is the same shit to me. Makes no difference. However Iceland is unique and can't be replaced with another country, especially with USA.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I suspect they know it will kill off that customer base, are happy to take the loss and anyone that migrates is simply a bonus. I saw that coming for a while, if they have any other EU locations I expect the same to happen at some point.

I also lol'ed at Burpad

• "In an effort to upgrade our current infrastructure and provide you with updated equipment"

that reason is not acceptable for changing the continent of your vps. I'm glad i canceled my iceland plan half a year ago.

• I find it funny they pulled this crap right after their big "Tell us what we can do to improve" contest bullshit. The second I saw the title to the thread I just laughed and said, "yep, about what I expected." Funniest part is the #1 thing on the list should be: "If you have so much money to spend on infrastructure, don't shit on your existing clients by pulling out of locations" You know, kinda like the saying "Don't shit where you eat," but obviously no one ever taught them this idea.

Ohh wait, I forgot, this is LET, so any publicity is good publicity. What was I thinking....

Cheers!

• that's a huge difference. between virtually a country with good freedom of speech to one with hardly any.. big loss for customers.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@chrisp said:
    "In an effort to upgrade our current infrastructure and provide you with updated equipment"

You know, Iceland is a country where new equipment isn't available!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

To me happend near the same thing, there UK node was full and they dont get a new one in 10 Days so i moved away.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    that's a huge difference. between virtually a country with good freedom of speech to one with hardly any.. big loss for customers.

Have I missed something? Was the 1st amendment repealed?

edited September 2013

@Nick said:
    Have I missed something? Was the 1st amendment repealed?

Multiple laws and court orders, some of them secret, are basically overwriting it.

• You do realize LET/LEB is hosted in the US right?

@black said:
    You do realize LET/LEB is hosted in the US right?

Yes, and?

• It seems like you're talking about the government negatively. Aren't you worried?

@black said:
    It seems like you're talking about the government negatively. Aren't you worried?

Nah, they couldn't care less about me.

And I am not talking about anyone negatively, I am just stating the facts.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Nyr said:
    I am just stating the facts.

many people died here for stating the facts or were thrown in jail. Was called "spreading enemy propaganda". They do not have to nail you for this, there is always the tax issue or something else, like in russia or china, protesting against drilling is piracy, yeah, those people went to seize the platform and pocket it.

There are always trumped up charges, enough surveillance and something might look vaguely illegal, put under the microscope, nobody is perfectly clean. Even my grandmother would be at least accessory to something.

• Too many of you need to get out more.

• @texteditor said:
    Kinda like NYC/New Jersey

If someone farts hard enough in parts of Jersey they can smell it in NYC. Seriously, look at the border on a map. It's no way near the same thing.

• I got the same email last night, luckily I had already started a migration over to EDIS, but when I came home from work today to take a last full backup of my two VPSs with Urpad (before cancel my VPSs), I can't connect with SSH..
    By the looks of lost packets when pinging my IPs, Urpad (Iceland nodes atleast) is getting DDoS'ed..

• Since this move will result in an IP change, I am not sure that customers will be given their new IP 24 hours in advance.

It does not say that ??

@epaslv said:
    Since this move will result in an IP change, I am not sure that customers will be given their new IP 24 hours in advance.

It does not say that ??

They probably will not. Probably they will just migrate, open a ticket with the customer and tell them "hey, here's your new IP".

• We will be sending a follow up email here shortly to clear up some of the concerns addressed here.

• What locations will be retire next?

• I believe they will retire everything else and only concentrating in Houston, TX.

@MorningIris said:
    I believe they will retire everything else and only concentrating in Houston, TX.

The $12 european containers were sold at a loss, so a US-only URPad could be expected, yeah.

• You know, Iceland is a country where new equipment isn't available!

Nothing but ancient equipment available in that Iceland data center! :P

• They offer UK but didn't offer this option to customers? Would have been slightly more reasonable to offer UK as a option