Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS with clean IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS with clean IP

I need it for Mautic and Postfix installation.

I have tried 2 different companies and after my IT guy was done with the installation he had sent a test email to Hotmail and it turned out the IP was blacklisted.

I rented a server, installed everything a day or two later sent 1 test email to a Hotmail email and it came back as not deliverable because IP was on Blacklist.

I need a VPS with a clean IP.
And as I want to have Mautic and Postfix installed an open port 25 is needed.

Specs needed:
1 CPU
2 GB RAM
50 GB
2 TB
The location of the server should be the US or near the US as my audience is in the US mainly.

I possibly need 2 IPs as I want to host 2 different newsletters.
The 2GB RAM is only for the beginning to set things up and test. I guess I will need more later but that should not be a problem.

As far as the operating system goes, my IT guy is used to Ubuntu but CentOS should be fine as well if some support can help out with any additional scripts that might be needed to install Mautic and Postfix.

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

use MXroute or AWS SES. Will save you a lot of headaches

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My advice: use MailBaby or Amazon SES or MXRoute or something similar.

Oops, @skorupion was quicker.

The reason is that you can chase why your email isn't being delivered endlessly, wherease if you use one of the services mentioned, they're the ones doing the chasing.

BTW these services (at least Amazon SES and I imagine others) integrate with Postfix just fine.

Thanked by 2skorupion sgno1
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

might could try something from dedipath since they hand out IPs like candy with their VPS

https://lowendbox.com/blog/dedipath-is-having-a-fantastic-memorial-day-2021-sale/

• @raindog308 said:

The reason is that you can chase why your email isn't being delivered endlessly, wherease if you use one of the services mentioned, they're the ones doing the chasing.

BTW these services (at least Amazon SES and I imagine others) integrate with Postfix just fine.

Not true 100% of the time. You only need a clean IP, and SPF headers, etc., don't even seem to matter. Was able to easily get some messages through outlook's servers without any anti-spam filtering, either.

• @tinyweasel said:

@raindog308 said:

Not true 100% of the time. You only need a clean IP, and SPF headers, etc., don't even seem to matter. Was able to easily get some messages through outlook's servers without any anti-spam filtering, either.

Even your IP clean, you have no control over your IP range when one of IP in your range got blacklisted. They can block the whole IP range.

Thanked by 1tinyweasel
  • @tinyweasel said:

@raindog308 said:

Where are you hosting?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@HPJ said:

I have tried 2 different companies and after my IT guy was done with the installation he had sent a test email to Hotmail and it turned out the IP was blacklisted.

I rented a server, installed everything a day or two later sent 1 test email to a Hotmail email and it came back as not deliverable because IP was on Blacklist.

Specs needed:
    1 CPU
    2 GB RAM
    50 GB
    2 TB
    The location of the server should be the US or near the US as my audience is in the US mainly.

The 2GB RAM is only for the beginning to set things up and test. I guess I will need more later but that should not be a problem.

As far as the operating system goes, my IT guy is used to Ubuntu but CentOS should be fine as well if some support can help out with any additional scripts that might be needed to install Mautic and Postfix.

May be you were unlucky, I have a vps with OVH (known for bad rep IPs mostly) but my this VPS can send mail to hotmail / yahoo/ gmail just fine. I had to get IPs delisted from few blacklist when I first acquired it, now all fine from a good long time.
    PS: Not to forget SPF, DKIM, DMARC thing.

• @bruh21 said:
    might could try something from dedipath since they hand out IPs like candy with their VPS

https://lowendbox.com/blog/dedipath-is-having-a-fantastic-memorial-day-2021-sale/

I asked their pre-sales support and they replied: "Unfortunately, we couldn't guarantee clean IP's"

• They then said: "In that case, we can surely replace it"

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@HPJ said:
    They then said: "In that case, we can surely replace it"

No provider will give you guarantee to provide clean IP

But if they are saying they will replace the IP then go for it

• @ViridWeb said:

@HPJ said:
    They then said: "In that case, we can surely replace it"

No provider will give you guarantee to provide clean IP

But if they are saying they will replace the IP then go for it

I went with it... but then found out they have port 25 closed shut.
    "Im sorry we do not allow mass emailing per our TOS. Shall we cancel and refund your service?"

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@HPJ said:
    I went with it... but then found out they have port 25 closed shut.
    "Im sorry we do not allow mass emailing per our TOS. Shall we cancel and refund your service?"

I'd suggest giving full details of what you plan to send and what volume to your host. Most hosts are rightly careful but most will have a conversation with you and might come to an amicable solution.

newsletters

Though I'm afraid, the likely answer here is "use a third party mail service" so it's someone else's problem. Newsletters these days are more often than not trouble.

• In any case, I am back to square 1

@HPJ said:
    In any case, I am back to square 1

sorry for the bad recommendation then, what is your budget, if i can inquire?

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Be glad to help.. We always keep our IPs clean. https://www.oplink.net/vps.html

Make sure you open a ticket to setup RDNS after you sign up

Test IP
    https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist:216.230.232.200&run=toolpage

Thanked by 1HPJ
  • Follow the sound advice of using AWS SES as mentioned above. It's very easy to setup and you can get your sending limits increased easily (by explaining the nature of your emails that it is legit).

If you are worried about the pricing, it is very cheap.

• @Kassem said:
    Follow the sound advice of using AWS SES as mentioned above. It's very easy to setup and you can get your sending limits increased easily (by explaining the nature of your emails that it is legit).

If you are worried about the pricing, it is very cheap.

I'm not sure that can be concluded from the OP - we aren't told the volume or data. OP asked for 2TB bandwidth, and if all that were dedicated to outgoing messages, it would cost $240/month for the data egress alone at AWS. Probably the data need isn't really anywhere near that, but we aren't told.

Thanked by 1HPJ
    edited September 2021

@HPJ said:
    In any case, I am back to square 1

tested with letbox, you can customize configuration to your needs. you can upgrade ram in the future without having to change your entire plan.
    i tested my box and port 25 is open, and even without any spf/dkim/dmarc records, the mail still reached gmail

when i used this: https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
    the IP was completely clean

you should contact support about the ability for multiple IPs though, since you can't do it in the order form

https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=122

Thanked by 2HPJ letbox
  • @HPJ said: I possibly need 2 IPs as I want to host 2 different newsletters.

So you're interested in mass mailing?

Very few VPS providers will be keen to provide you with an open port 25 for mass mailing (even if you claim that it's 100% legitimate)

Congrats on your first post

Thanked by 1HPJ
  • @oplink said:
    Be glad to help.. We always keep our IPs clean. https://www.oplink.net/vps.html

Make sure you open a ticket to setup RDNS after you sign up

Test IP
    https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist:216.230.232.200&run=toolpage

Thank you. I just ordered a VPS from you :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@HPJ said: my IT guy was done with the installation he had sent a test email to Hotmail and it turned out the IP was blacklisted

even with clean IPs you will get similar issue with Microsoft and required to follow their process and contact Microsoft and sort out the issue, are you sure that your IT guy is up to job?

• @WebProject said:

@HPJ said: my IT guy was done with the installation he had sent a test email to Hotmail and it turned out the IP was blacklisted

even with clean IPs you will get similar issue with Microsoft and required to follow their process and contact Microsoft and sort out the issue, are you sure that your IT guy is up to job?

I do not know whether my IT guy is up to this job. I hired him to install mautic and postfix and get the server ready for sending emails.

• @tetech said: I'm not sure that can be concluded from the OP - we aren't told the volume or data. OP asked for 2TB bandwidth, and if all that were dedicated to outgoing messages, it would cost $240/month for the data egress alone at AWS. Probably the data need isn't really anywhere near that, but we aren't told.

Yes but 2 TB of email message data egress is a lot huge for two newsletters so safe to assume the 2 TB is not only for emails. The OP keeps ignoring our advice though (multiple mentions to use a managed service for email) so maybe they aren't eligible for SES/Twilio/Mailgun requirements.

• ure "guy" seems to be a total lamer ! :D

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

@HPJ said:

Specs needed:
    1 CPU
    2 GB RAM
    50 GB
    2 TB

Too bad to hear this. What's your monthly budget?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

If you do send emails, why the US location is must have? I don’t get think for emails is matter.

Based on your request is: you need any vps for software with Amazon SES or MXroute for delivery of emails as I don’t think your IT guy will manage right.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • edited September 2021

If your IT guy is forcing you to reinvent the wheel, just so you can send some emails - then I don't think you should be looking for a VPS with clean IP.

I think, instead, you should be looking for a new IT guy :-)

Thanked by 2WebProject chip
  • For reliable email delivery for the love of Saint Lowendspirit don't host it yourself

• I am looking for a self-hosted email solution and I am looking at Mautic but with Mailgun, Sendgrid or SES. Wouldn't that solve the problem with the VPS IP?

Thanked by 1coffin

@tdwuk said:
    I am looking for a self-hosted email solution and I am looking at Mautic but with Mailgun, Sendgrid or SES. Wouldn't that solve the problem with the VPS IP?

Yeah

This discussion has been closed.