Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik Domain Registrar - the Far-Right Web Host's Data Leaked? Over 10 years of data!!!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik Domain Registrar - the Far-Right Web Host's Data Leaked? Over 10 years of data!!!!

JasonMJasonM Member
edited September 2021 in General

Anonymous which said that it has captured “a decade’s worth of data” from Epik Domain Registrar including Epik’s customers, logins, more than a half-million private keys, payment history

Epik's leaked info includes:

• All domain purchases
  • All domain transfers in/out
  • All whois history, unredacted
  • All DNS changes
  • All email forwards, catch-alls, etc
  • Payment history (no credit card data, don't get excited, FBI, we're not in that game)
  • Account credentials for:
    all Epik customers, hosting, Anonymize VPN, and so on
    Epik internal systems, servers
    Epik's GoDaddy logins

More links:

https://4chan.partyvan.epikfail.win:55899/# - there's a download link too inside that press-release!

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/anonymous-hack-far-right-web-host-epik/

Public discussions about the same are here, still no official statement from Rob Monster, owner of Epik.
namepros.com/threads/epik-may-have-had-a-major-breach.1252094/

if any one of you might have domain registrations/account/hosting/email with Epik.com better reset your passwords or just move elsewhere!

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Oh dear.

• Uh oh

• Oh no

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

ah! a marketing-gimmick by Epik??

This should be changed definitely, it sounds like a provocation, for hackers as well..

• @JasonM said:
    ah! a marketing-gimmick by Epik??

This should be changed definitely, it sounds like a provocation, for hackers as well..

It's no big deal to offend swiss people though. :D

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • "Hurt durr, law of the land" host gets fucked.

@Francisco next?

• On behalf of nigh army I am here to say "The end is nigh"

Thanked by 2JasonM bulbasaur
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2021

It's an old DB dump. And what about this company makes them far right? Because they provide service to people the mob pressures others into dropping? Everyone has a right to have a voice online, even those you disagree with.

This is why you should never feel comfortable giving your personal details out so willingly to random companies for small dollar purchases.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

Damm, I've been holding EpikNews.com domain name, nice time to put something related on it :p

• Oh no, Luke Smith is in trouble!

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • As cringe as you'd expect. LARPing as anonymous, calling some other LARPing group grifters and trying to sound like le epic hax0r from the 2010s. They can't even make a torrent properly. Its literally 200k files without any archiving or compression. At least zip the damn thing.

Anyways I would bet most of Epik customers are not 'nazis'. A lot of the far-right sites they host can be rude but free speech is free speech. The USA is one of the best places in the world to have free speech, at least it used to.

I can only imagine how many threats people are going to get due to this leak.

Thanked by 2Courvix chedenaz
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Haha, the least they could've done is hash things.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

WOW! I had started the thread below and ended up not getting an account there. Saved by the LET community!
    But I agree, everyone has the right to free speech.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173014/whats-the-consensus-on-epik-com#latest

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited September 2021

The founder is pretty active on NP. I wouldn't say he or the company is "Far Right" but he is very conservative and religious in his views and has some shady posts. But regardless this is BAD news!

• Over 500,000 private keys. What are they for? Who knows!

what... why did they have so many private keys?

• What's the definition of far right?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

I had an account there for some reason. I think it was because I could import my domain names (just a list of names, nothing else) and see all their expiry dates in one place, even though Epik isn't actually the registrar. That was kinda useful, I was thinking of replacing my own spreadsheet with it.

Just received this via email:

At Epik, we take security and the privacy of your information very seriously. Therefore as a precautionary measure, I am writing to inform you of an alleged security incident involving Epik.

Our internal team, working with external experts, have been working diligently to address the situation. We are taking proactive steps to resolve the issue. We will update you on our progress. In the meantime please let us know if you detect any unusual account activity. I am proud of our team’s efforts as we do our part to empower a thriving internet for the benefit of our customers around the world.

You are in our prayers today. We are grateful for your support and prayer. When situations arise where individuals might not have honorable intentions, I pray for them. I believe that what the enemy intends for evil, God invariably transforms into good.

Blessings to you all.

Regards,

Rob Monster
    Founder and CEO
    Epik Holdings Inc

• @trycatchthis said: What's the definition of far right?

> Monster began a company staff meeting by asking employees to watch the video of the Christchurch mosque shootings, which he said would prove to them that the attack had been faked

> Monster has also suggested that the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue shooting and other mass casualty events were "false flag" attacks

> He has replied to a user who referred to him using the antisemitic slur "rat kike" to say he was "not a 'kike' nor governed by one. :-)", and reassured a person who expressed disapproval that two members of Epik's board were Jewish that "having a Jewish person on Epik's board may be somewhat helping with keeping certain forces at bay."[

Thanked by 2lentro bulbasaur
  • trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited September 2021

@Jio said:

@trycatchthis said: What's the definition of far right?

> Monster began a company staff meeting by asking employees to watch the video of the Christchurch mosque shootings, which he said would prove to them that the attack had been faked

> Monster has also suggested that the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue shooting and other mass casualty events were "false flag" attacks

> He has replied to a user who referred to him using the antisemitic slur "rat kike" to say he was "not a 'kike' nor governed by one. :-)", and reassured a person who expressed disapproval that two members of Epik's board were Jewish that "having a Jewish person on Epik's board may be somewhat helping with keeping certain forces at bay."[

Thanks for the examples.
    They appear to be from wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Monster
    Given that wikipedia has a system where people can be defamed by high ranking moderators and there is no way for them to correct inaccuracies, do you have a more credible source? Wikipedia itself says its not a reliable source.

But do you actually have a definition of "far right"?
    For example is there a difference between "right" and "far right"?

Thanked by 1chedenaz
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Daniel15 said: You are in our prayers today. We are grateful for your support and prayer. When situations arise where individuals might not have honorable intentions, I pray for them. I believe that what the enemy intends for evil, God invariably transforms into good.

Seriously? They think prayers will have an impact in resolving IT issues...??

Thanked by 2mrTom AlwaysSkint
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

@Arkas said: Seriously? They think prayers will have an impact in resolving IT issues...??

Thoughts and Prayers are an established method for solving any problem in the USA. You don't need actual actions, you just need to pray harder.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

@Arkas said: Seriously? They think prayers will have an impact in resolving IT issues...??

Thoughts and Prayers are the established method for solving any problem in the USA. You don't need actual actions, you just need to pray harder.

Hey you work for Facebook, think we can get a transparent logo over our faces? Like they did for France?

Francisco

Thanked by 2bdspice ariq01
  • @Francisco said: think we can get a transparent logo over our faces?

I was going to say that you can create a profile photo frame if you really want to (https://developers.facebook.com/products/frame-studio/) but it looks like creation was disabled at some point.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Shit happens

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ezeth said: Shit happens

Apparently, If you pray hard enough, it wont.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Since the original download page is not working, here is an alternative :

https://telegra.ph/OperationEpikFailTorrent-09-15

Please delete if its not allowed to post it in here.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@eKo said:
    Since the original download page is not working, here is an alternative :

Why are you sharing leaked customer data. Sounds pretty illegal/not allowed to post here :D

Thanked by 2MannDude vedran
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@ezeth said:

@eKo said:
    Since the original download page is not working, here is an alternative :

Why are you sharing leaked customer data. Sounds pretty illegal/not allowed to post here :D

It's just mirrors of the torrent file. Can literally google and find it.

• @MannDude said:
    It's an old DB dump.

The dump is not that old unfortunately, I have some domains at Epik since December 2020 and after downloading the torrent I was able to find some of my data in the SQL files.

As it's late for me now, I'll be assessing tomorrow the full exposure and I'll be transferring those domains ASAP to another registrar.

This is why you should never feel comfortable giving your personal details out so willingly to random companies for small dollar purchases.

I'm open to suggestion for techniques to give out as few personal details as possible and still be able to make such purchases (thinking about payment processors checking elements of the billing address with the credit card company).

Thanked by 2JasonM mrTom
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2021

Normally I'd go with this

@ezeth said:
    Shit happens

but reading this ...

@Daniel15 quoted a monstrous moron:
    At Epik, we take security and the privacy of your information very seriously. Therefore as a precautionary measure, I am writing to inform you of an alleged security incident involving Epik.

Our internal team, working with external experts, have been working diligently to address the situation. We are taking proactive steps to resolve the issue. We will update you on our progress. In the meantime please let us know if you detect any unusual account activity. I am proud of our team’s efforts as we do our part to empower a thriving internet for the benefit of our customers around the world.

You are in our prayers today. We are grateful for your support and prayer. When situations arise where individuals might not have honorable intentions, I pray for them. I believe that what the enemy intends for evil, God invariably transforms into good.

Blessings to you all.

I changed my mind and say "What a ridiculous asshole you are, Mr. Monster!!"

So, they "take proactive steps to resolve the issue" - after being hacked and evidence very strongly suggests that they cared "fuck all" about security and their customers data were about as safe as an unconscious baby lamb laying next to a group of wolves.(I borrowed "fuck all" (as well as "shitfuckery") from juicemedia who make very funny "your government" (fake) ads. Highly recommended).

I'm not against prayers - but I'm against not telling customers that basically no adequate security measures are in place to protect their data and that "security" at Epik actually means "after all your private data got hacked we'll pray for you".

What a shitfuckery, what a worthless smelly mix of pathetic corporate farting and pseudo-pious blathering.

Does anyone here have a list of other companies that careless moron is involved in, so that we all can avoid them?

P.S. Thanks, Daniel15 for providing that!