Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Merging a Compute VPS with a Storage VPS. Does this configuration cannibalize monthly bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Merging a Compute VPS with a Storage VPS. Does this configuration cannibalize monthly bandwidth?

I'd like the buy two VMs via a company such as Hostens or Time4VPS. One Linux VPS and another Storage VPS.

But in this configuration the Compute VPS will need to effectively use the Storage VPS as it's own hard drive except that the read and write data would be passed through the local network and may be counted against my monthly bandwidth quota for both VMs.

Thanked by 1bdspice

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

contact the provider and ask

• @bruh21 said:

I'm waiting on Hostens :'( . Might have to ask again...

@holden said:

@bruh21 said:

I'm waiting on Hostens :'( . Might have to ask again...

you could also use a provider such as @Francisco BuyVM that has block storage

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • Yes an option.
    RAM is a bit limited on the $2.00 Ryzen VPS. I don't know if it'd be able to handle all my nodes and stuff or not. Otherwise very solid.

@holden said:
    Yes an option.
    RAM is a bit limited on the $2.00 Ryzen VPS. I don't know if it'd be able to handle all my nodes and stuff or not. Otherwise very solid.

i suppose it depends on your budget but considering you would otherwise be buying 2 separate servers anyways, I don't think it'll be that more pricey. It's $5/tb, plus a few bucks a month for the VM itself.

otherwise, you might want to look at @key900 letbox. he also provides ryzen VPS, with the storage either as a boot drive, or as a block storage. You could get the VPS with a Ryzen, 2gb RAM, and 1TB disk for $7.90 p/m, if that is more enticing. You could also do the exact same price but with a 15gb nvme boot volume, if having 2 drives is important to you.

here are the links to the plans:
    nvme + block storage: https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=121
    normal storage: https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=122

Thanked by 1letbox
  • Can you buy two VPS'es and a block store from Fran and make them all work well enough together?

Letbox only gives like 20% of the core.

Fran's $2 VPS is actually $1.67 if you buy for a year.

• You missed out on HostHatch deals.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited September 2021

@holden said:
    Can you buy two VPS'es and a block store from Fran and make them all work well enough together?

There is an option to pick
    two vCPU with 30% allocation
    with LetBox

with $2 vps from buyvm … the allocation is 12.5% (1/8) , if I recall correctly. @Francisco can confirm that

$3.50 VPS is a better choice with BuyVM as it has better cpu core hwt allocation and more memory

@dev_vps said:

@holden said:
    Can you buy two VPS'es and a block store from Fran and make them all work well enough together?

There is an option to pick
    two vCPU with 30% allocation
    with LetBox

with $2 vps from buyvm … the allocation is 12.5% (1/8) , if I recall correctly. @Francisco can confirm that

$3.50 VPS is a better choice with BuyVM as it has better cpu core hwt allocation and more memory

obviously with both of them you can burst up to 100%
    but if you are going to use sustained for long periods, then you have to be more concerned about the fair use percents

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @bruh21 said:

obviously with both of them you can burst up to 100%
    but if you are going to use sustained for long periods, then you have to be more concerned about the fair use percents

You are correct.
    Depending on the usage, short bursts are allowed.

For one of my VPS, 2 cpu cores are fully dedicated. For this VPS, i can use those cores as much needed … even 100% for long durations with no issues.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • holdenholden Member
    edited September 2021

I actually need good benchmarks of all the services in question. I've been searching for days and none of these services are really upfront, but that could just be because I'm really cheap.

Heck I'ma look into colocation and see if any of these services are cheap.

Really I'm only renting for the network. My local internet is bad, but if it weren't I'd feel much more comfortable actually hosting my own devices and data.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Both of you are correct :)

Francisco

• Maybe I can rent a raspberry pi or something like that. Just need decent storage for IPFS, Monero, etc...

• @holden said: Fran's $2 VPS is actually $1.67 if you buy for a year.

Interesting, I didn't realise they brought back the yearly discount. Last time I checked (late last year) they were no longer offering it and had no plans to bring it back.

@Daniel15 said:

@holden said: Fran's $2 VPS is actually $1.67 if you buy for a year.

Interesting, I didn't realise they brought back the yearly discount. Last time I checked (late last year) they were no longer offering it and had no plans to bring it back.

Brought it back due to the Paypal fee changes.

Figured we'd try to entice people to pickup the yearly discount instead.

Francisco

• @holden said:
    But in this configuration the Compute VPS will need to effectively use the Storage VPS as it's own hard drive except that the read and write data would be passed through the local network and may be counted against my monthly bandwidth quota for both VMs.

interesting. i never check-out those slab for performance & block for storage thing. can i use cpanel or directadmin on those slab? @Francisco currently i am using contabo vps L package and used almost 250gb for corporate mails and some official websites. but performance is too old. here is benchmark from my vps.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-06-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue Sep 14 05:26:52 +06 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2199.994 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 29.3 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 791.1 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 5.15 MB/s     (1.2k) | 60.57 MB/s     (946)
    Write      | 5.16 MB/s     (1.2k) | 60.98 MB/s     (952)
    Total      | 10.31 MB/s    (2.5k) | 121.56 MB/s   (1.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 127.17 MB/s    (248) | 97.56 MB/s      (95)
    Write      | 133.92 MB/s    (261) | 104.05 MB/s    (101)
    Total      | 261.09 MB/s    (509) | 201.61 MB/s    (196)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 559 Mbits/sec   | 95.0 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 560 Mbits/sec   | 166 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 539 Mbits/sec   | 143 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 467 Mbits/sec   | 44.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 536 Mbits/sec   | 69.6 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 502 Mbits/sec   | 58.3 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 345 Mbits/sec   | 112 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 478 Mbits/sec   | 36.8 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 438
    Multi Core      | 2343
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/9817087

should i moved to nvme+block storage things to get better performance at cheap price?

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited September 2021

The intranet will not count as bandwidth, and will not trigger the speed limit, the speed is 1Gbps, I am a Hostens user.

It's just that the storage speed is really limited.

@bdspice said:

@holden said:

interesting. i never check-out those slab for performance & block for storage thing. can i use cpanel or directadmin on those slab? @Francisco currently i am using contabo vps L package and used almost 250gb for corporate mails and some official websites. but performance is too old. here is benchmark from my vps.

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-06-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Tue Sep 14 05:26:52 +06 2021

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2199.994 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 29.3 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 791.1 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 5.15 MB/s     (1.2k) | 60.57 MB/s     (946)
    Write      | 5.16 MB/s     (1.2k) | 60.98 MB/s     (952)
    Total      | 10.31 MB/s    (2.5k) | 121.56 MB/s   (1.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 127.17 MB/s    (248) | 97.56 MB/s      (95)
    Write      | 133.92 MB/s    (261) | 104.05 MB/s    (101)
    Total      | 261.09 MB/s    (509) | 201.61 MB/s    (196)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 559 Mbits/sec   | 95.0 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 560 Mbits/sec   | 166 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 539 Mbits/sec   | 143 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 467 Mbits/sec   | 44.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 536 Mbits/sec   | 69.6 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 502 Mbits/sec   | 58.3 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 345 Mbits/sec   | 112 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 478 Mbits/sec   | 36.8 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 438
    Multi Core      | 2343
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/9817087

should i moved to nvme+block storage things to get better performance at cheap price?

@Francisco provides free directadmin. it can be a good idea to move to nvme+ block storage if you feel your performance is suffering. contabo may not be the most consistently performing provider, so feel free to drop them a ticket complaining, and they may help you

• @bruh21 do i need to setup 2 os for 2 disk? Will it work same as normal kvm vps

@bdspice said: @bruh21 do i need to setup 2 os for 2 disk? Will it work same as normal kvm vps

No.

Blockstorage is just a 2nd harddrive inside your VPS. You partition, format, and mount it to whatever folder you want and you're good to go :)

For Directadmin users we recommend putting it at /home so all of your user data is there.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • holdenholden Member
    edited September 2021

I think I'll go with $3/mo [3 years] for a SMALL Linux VPS and a SMALL Storage VPS from Hostens and cluster them together.

Hostens said the VPS can maintain 90% utilization and @mcgree said that intranet traffic should be in the green. I hope these two statements are accurate.

In the future I may go for colocating a SBC (Rock Pi 4 could be nice.). If I can get that for cheap with appropriate network bandwidth then lovely.

• holdenholden Member
    edited September 2021

I don't like that their OS options are Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS.

Ubuntu and CentOS are both basically corporate so no thanks.

Debian is OK but it is not rolling release so I don't want to have to fresh install like every 3 years and deal with a system that is always out of date.