Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What free T-shirt offers do you know about?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What free T-shirt offers do you know about?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Curious what free T-shirts one can earn these days. I mean earn, not win as in random chance or in a contest but rather offers of free shirts you can earn.

Here's a couple I know about:

(1) Run a TOR relay: https://2019.www.torproject.org/getinvolved/tshirt.html

(2) Getting to Sage level on he.net's ipv6 certification: https://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Others?

Thanked by 1Xrmaddness

Comments

• if anyone wears either of these shirts, they have never touched vagina in their lives.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'd like to know too.

I wear my HE T-Shirt to sleep sometimes so it would be nice to collect more from others :joy:

• Ooo, I love free SWAG! I just completed the sage level one this morning after reading the LEB post...

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

My HE.net one hasn't arrived - but they said it could take a while as I think they do them in batches.

I got some swag from a UK provider after a datacenter visit once too.

• kheng86kheng86 Member
    edited September 2021

Comment on Presearch weekly update videos with your user ID www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpu4WfhbaE

Those IDs will be consolidated and during the next week's video, they will spin a wheel towards the end of the video and the winner will get a t-shirt.

*I just realized OP is looking for earned t-shirt, not win. Sorry :)

• @SirFoxy said:
    if anyone wears either of these shirts, they have never touched vagina in their lives.

Who needs pussy when you have IPv6?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2021

"How to get VPS terminated while trying to earn a shirt"

(2) Getting to Sage level on he.net's ipv6 certification: https://ipv6.he.net/certification/

I have this shirt.
    It's 100% cotton and too scratchy, not good.

Some better shirts I collected last year:

• Attend meetups organized by JFrog (find them on Meetup.com). There would be a raffle of 3 shirts after the meetup of typically 25 participants. 50/50 shirt.
    • Attend MSBuild conference. Look through the vendor virtual booths and there are some without requiring downloads or 1-on-1 calls. I got one from Linode, 50/50 blend.
    • Contribute to open source at Hacktoberfest. 100% cotton but it's soft.

Hoodie opportunities:

• Attend CTF sponsored by Secure Code Warrior (find them on Meetup.com). First place wins a hoodie. Second and third places win a shirt each.
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

Maybe @jbiloh could create a store (on a cheap website like Aliexpress or eBay for example), to buy cheap t-shirts, backpacks, mugs, Covid19 masks, or other stuff with pre-configured messages like "Proud member of low-end communities: LowEndTalk and LowEndBox".

Another marketing idea is an API generating a PDF LET-diploma with username and how old on LET that username is. This diploma could also include the number of contributions (posts+comments) but I don't think we want people hunting numbers through shitposting. This would increase exposure from people wanting these, an idea taken from Hurricane Electric offering "Sage" diplomas for IPv6 tests. We would be the first community offering diplomas for memberships. Special diplomas, signed by admins and moderators, could be offered to Top10 providers in annual votes (to share on their websites for even more exposure), but this depends on moderators willing to participate.

Another idea is a free lifetime VPS for people who are willing to tattoo LowEndTalk or LowEndBox logo somewhere on their body. Proof can be done with a Youtube video shared on LEB channel, creating more exposure than the tattoo itself.

Ideas can continue, but I finished my morning coffee...

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @SirFoxy said:
    if anyone wears either of these shirts, they have never touched vagina in their lives.

@jmgcaguicla said:
    Who needs pussy when you have IPv6?

@yoursunny said:

I have this shirt.

Thanks to a bunch of geographically distributed IPv6-enabled low-end VPSes, we always knew that all your ups and downs were done solo :D

• @DataRecovery said:
    Thanks to a bunch of geographically distributed IPv6-enabled low-end VPSes, we always knew that all your ups and downs were done solo :D

HetrixTools knows my every up and down :wink:

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited September 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:
    HetrixTools knows my every up and down :wink:

How many subscribers do you have in your HetrixCams account? ;)

(not looking to join, just in case :D )

• You guys are getting laid?

• @SirFoxy said:

I did. :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited September 2021

@SirFoxy said: if anyone wears either of these shirts, they have never touched vagina in their lives.

I have a TOR Project shirt. But they sent me a size too small so I've never worn it. Now you're making me afraid to. I don't want to be warped back to age 17.

@yoursunny said: "How to get VPS terminated while trying to earn a shirt"

I've run a relay without any issue for years. Some (maybe even most) providers object to exit nodes.

@default said: Maybe @jbiloh could create a store (on a cheap website like Aliexpress or eBay for example), to buy cheap t-shirts, backpacks, mugs, Covid19 masks, or other stuff with pre-configured messages like "Proud member of low-end communities: LowEndTalk and LowEndBox".

We actually talked about this a while back and I was going to look into it...I've added it back to my to-do list.

@default said: Another marketing idea is an API generating a PDF LET-diploma with username and how old on LET that username is.

I like it!

@default said: Another idea is a free lifetime VPS for people who are willing to tattoo LowEndTalk or LowEndBox logo somewhere on their body.

Now that's devotion. Not sure how we'd arrange it though...if the tattooer is, say, 20, that could be an 80-year commitment. Is any provider likely to be around in 80 years? Is the concept of a virtual private server going to be around in 80 years? In 1941 the idea of a network was still to be conceived, much less individuals owning computers which were barely gestated. In 80 years I'm sure a VPS will seem quaint. Still, I like this idea.

@default said: Ideas can continue, but I finished my morning coffee...

By all means, let them flow!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

"How to get VPS terminated while trying to earn a shirt"

To be fair, I've been running a couple fast exits for a few weeks now and have only received one abuse report. The other abuse@ email I received was from a fella from the Tor Project himself asking if I'd use anything other than OpenDNS as it was filtering/blocking a site from the exit.

Tor Exits, in my limited experience, aren't so bad as long as you run a strict exit policy that allows access to the ports commonly used for web browsing and communication.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa
  • ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited September 2021

@SirFoxy said:

ROTFL

@redcat said:
    You guys are getting laid?

Yes.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SirFoxy said:

Why?
    My best shirts are all provider swag.
    I don't buy shirts (except gym / outdoor ones) anymore because I can always get free ones.

@ksx4system said:
    ROTFL

https://bit.ly/sunnyROFL

@raindog308 said:

@yoursunny said: "How to get VPS terminated while trying to earn a shirt"

I've run a relay without any issue for years. Some (maybe even most) providers object to exit nodes.

@VirMach bans all Tor nodes, even clients.
    Nexril @Lyphiard bans Tor relay and exit.
    @SpartanHost and @EvolutionHost and Webhosting24 @tomazu don't have clear policies, but arguably Tor relay falls into the dark category of "anonymous proxy".

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    @SpartanHost don't have clear policies, but arguably Tor relay falls into the dark category of "anonymous proxy".

We list "TOR exit node" as prohibited in our terms of service, relays are fine.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny

I have this shirt.
    It's 100% cotton and too scratchy, not good.

Cannot confirm. Very cosy for sleeping and cuddling. Even my cats love it

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    Nexril @Lyphiard bans Tor relay and exit.
    @SpartanHost and @EvolutionHost and Webhosting24 @tomazu don't have clear policies, but arguably Tor relay falls into the dark category of "anonymous proxy".

no exit nodes on VMs, you need a dedicated server with a dedicated and isolated subnet for that and be ready to answer quickly to any incoming abuse requests.

And we currently have no clear policy on free t-shirts, that is correct but might change ;-)

Thanked by 2_MS_ yoursunny
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

@raindog308

Maybe you could create an official updated article on LowEndBox with providers from LowEndTalk who allow Tor exit nodes on their servers. From what I know so far, BuyVM and DataIdeas allow Tor exit nodes on their VPS range.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2021

@default said: Maybe you could create an official updated article on LowEndBox with providers from LowEndTalk who allow Tor exit nodes on their servers. From what I know so far, BuyVM and DataIdeas allow Tor exit nodes on their VPS range.

We do as well, so long as you have a strict exit policy. Basically, allow access to common ports for general web browsing and communication, and not allow all the dumb shit that generates abuse. This is our guideline here: https://incognet.io/tor-exits - The exit policy is just an example, and more on the lenient / open side, but it's being used on two exits now and only one abuse complaint has been generated in the few weeks they've been running.

Thanked by 1default
  • Well, I haven't even opened it yet. :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny