Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EIG owned webhost companies to avoid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EIG owned webhost companies to avoid

I'm sure you all know them, or search before you buy something from them, but I thought I'd make an updated list.
It's a shame as I use to host sites in some of these before the takeover.
Here's the list of providers to avoid.

2slick.com
AccountSupport
A Small Orange – 2012
ApolloHosting
Apthost
Arvixe – 2014
Berry Information Systems L.L.C.
BigRock
BizLand
BlueDomino
Bluehost – 2011
Directi – 2014
Dollar2Host
Domain.com
DomainHost
Dot5Hosting
Dotster
easyCGI
eComdash
EmailBrain
eHost
EntryHost
Escalate Internet
FastDomain
FatCow
FreeYellow
Globat
Homestead
HostCentric
HostClear
HostGator – 2012
Hostnine – 2012
HostMonster – 2011
Host with Me Now
HostYourSite.com
Network Solutions
HyperMart
IMOutdoors
Intuit Websites
iPage – 2009
IPOWER/iPowerWeb
IX Web Hosting – 2015
JustHost – 2011
LogicBoxes
MojoMarketplace
MyDomain
MyResellerHome
NetFirms
Networks Web Hosting
Nexx
PowWeb
PureHost
ReadyHosting.com
ResellerClub
Saba-Pro
SEO Hosting
SEO Web Hosting
Sitelio
Sitebuilder
Southeast Web
Spry
StartLogic
SuperGreen Hosting
Typepad
USANetHosting
Verio
VirtualAvenue
VPSLink
WebHost4Life
webhosting.info
Website Builder
Webstrike Solutions
Webzai – 2014
Xeran
YourWebHosting
Thanked by 2jsg dystopia

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2021

This is the most webhostingtalk thread I've seen in a while. I feel like I need to ask if you've checked the offer forum.

Tbh no one here would pay the prices of any EIG host that's why it's not really a common topic.

Thanked by 3Foul Lee bulbasaur
  • Ahh homestead, brings back memories..

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jar said: This is the most webhostingtalk thread I've seen in a while

Do you check WHT often?

• Once upon a time.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Arkas said:

@jar said: This is the most webhostingtalk thread I've seen in a while

Do you check WHT often?

What's your budget?

Thanked by 2Lee Arkas
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2021

@Arkas

Thanks for compiling and providing that list. I'm glad to report that I never purchased any type of hosting from any company on that list, except maybe for justhost, if that happens to be the russian (or "russian"?) 'justhost' here at LET (or maybe I confuse a name).

Would you please kindly write an explanatory line or two about EIG and the problem with them?

@all

Apologies if I happen to warm up something widely known around here but I seem to not know the story.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Avoid anyone called Josh who sells colocation in Texas.

He's known for flying directly on radar and conducting scams in plain sight.

Watch out for prout.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I don't think LET is the target audience for these brands... as much as EIG sucks - a lot of the customers of these brands are fine with what they buy. I see thousands of EIG-hosted websites around the internet, most incredibly low traffic.

@jsg said:
    justhost, if that happens to be the russian (or "russian"?) 'justhost' here at LET (or maybe I confuse a name).

American company with the same name.

Would you please kindly write an explanatory line or two about EIG and the problem with them?

The problem people have with EIG, from my seat, is that they're a big mammoth company with a ton of brands and they regularly acquire more. When they do, they gut the support staff and try to cut costs wherever possible, usually ruining something good (A Small Orange was a particularly bad example of this, forcing workers to Texas and then firing them all after they got outsourced to India).

They don't care if people leave $brand because they're likely to just switch to another one of their brands.

They don't provide a great service (very oversold) but at the end of the day, this is how capitalism works. Big large companies shovel shit that people scoop up and enjoy, most people don't realise that what they are getting is crap because nobody visits their dumb site.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • EIG definitely not to avoid. Their brands are in business for years and years. They will not dissapear overnight and will not go to olex one day to sell hardware. Fatcow, hostgator are still valid options for beginners.

• @jsg said: Would you please kindly write an explanatory line or two about EIG and the problem with them?

They have spent years buying up hosting assets, often good ones then cut back staff, increase pricing and generally quality goes to shit. You get less for more money.

A simple tale.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @LordSpock said: A Small Orange

I liked Orange. Not anymore.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ASO is a really good example of a provider that went from a high to a low after EIG bought them.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @dahartigan said: Avoid anyone called Josh who sells colocation in Texas.

@DataIdeas-Josh

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:
    Ahh homestead, brings back memories..

I remembered that they used to offer free domain?

Or was just a rumor maybe.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Any benchmarks? Double unlimited bandwidth? :smiley:

• BlueHost and Hostgator - both EIG brands are still good for static sites, or very tiny wordpress sites. But once you get visitors and need more resources, they'll be pain in the as*. Very slow servers for high traffic sites, forums, etc. Don't even think to host e-commerce site with them. But they're better for hosting family album type of sites which get <50 users daily!

@Lee said: ASO is a really good example of a provider that went from a high to a low after EIG bought them.

agree. I was ASO customer in their early days. Also I was Bluehost customer when Matt Heaton was the owner. He did innovated cloudlinux-like cage-system to allot resources to each shared account. And they also had Softaculous-like in-house developed one-click install app, something called, simple scripts. But once EIG acquired it... the downfall started!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

There might be beginners here who don't know about EIG, that's the reason for the updated list, not for regular LET members.

• Old news. Since last year, they're CCG (Clearlake Capital Group), not EIG (Endurance International Group).

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@MS said: Old news. Since last year, they're CCG (Clearlake Capital Group), not EIG (Endurance International Group).

Thanks for the update!

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • @dahartigan said:
    He's known for flying directly on radar

I'd hope all flying was on radar. Midair collisions are bad times.

• MS said:
    Old news. Since last year, they're CCG (Clearlake Capital Group), not EIG (Endurance International Group).

Guess they didn't have the endurance.

Thanked by 1Arkas