Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Lite Templates Support(Bios/Uefi boot) KVM/XEN/Hyper-V Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Lite Templates Support(Bios/Uefi boot) KVM/XEN/Hyper-V Virtualization

Hi Guys,

As many of you are aware, I have been building lite templates allowing Microsoft Windows to be easily installed onto servers from AWS Cloud/Google Cloud/Microsoft Azure Cloud/Oracle Cloud/Other, etc. and making them available via my website: d.nat.ee.

I have been creating windows suitable for use on low-end machines. You can run windows 7 smoothly on machines with 512M RAM.

Get the template from http://d.nat.ee/?win/lite

For example 1: The name of the template file, winsrv2016-data-x64-us.vhd.gz is suitable for booting in the BIOS
For example 2: The name of the template file, winsrv2016-data-x64-us-efi.vhd.gz is suitable for booting from UEFI

You can use script to install automatically under Debian/Ubuntu
apt-get update
apt-get install -y xz-utils openssl gawk file
wget --no-check-certificate -qO InstallNET.sh 'http://d.nat.ee/sh/InstallNET.sh' && bash InstallNET.sh -dd 'Template download link'

You can also use rescue mode to install
wget --no-check-certificate -qO- "Template download link" |gunzip -dc |dd of=/dev/vda

How to check whether the VPS can use the template?
Under Debian/Ubuntu
Install: apt-get install virt-what
command: virt-what
Shown as kvm/xen/hyper-v
All three are suitable, others are not.

Detect VPS UEFI or BIOS boot
Install: apt-get install efibootmgr
command: efibootmgr

I can say for sure, support Oracle Cloud for free use,I have been running Windows Server 2012 R2 stably for more than a year.

All windows templates do not have activation, please use genuine authorization by yourself

Comments

• Use the automatic script "InstallNET.sh" Since there is no intuitive interface to know when the installation is complete, you only need to wait for half an hour to half a day, and then whether the remote desktop connection is normal.
    If you wait for half a day without success, then the script has failed.

• Hi Yin. You should do a video on the steps. I used putty and login as su. ran your script and when it completed,putty automatically disconnects then what to do next?

I reboot but it restarted with debian.
    note: I used win2016 us version template from your website. efibootmgr seems to show an error which means it needs bios?

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited September 2021

how are you able to create this? Do you the source code of windows 7? I remember this is a mini xp (lite) that is 300Mb in size. Too bad the mini xp is not supported now on latest browser.

Is this legal btw? Do you have the a list of how many windows feature that you remove to make this lite? I downloaded a lite version and I'll test this after downloading it.

Do we need to get a license for this?

• @reddevil said:
    Hi Yin. You should do a video on the steps. I used putty and login as su. ran your script and when it completed,putty automatically disconnects then what to do next?

I reboot but it restarted with debian.
    note: I used win2016 us version template from your website. efibootmgr seems to show an error which means it needs bios?

The InstallNET.sh script will automatically download the installation file, and will automatically restart after completion, and then enter the automatic installation state like livecd

• show "EFI variables are not supported on this system." is the BIOS boot

• @team_traitor said: how are you able to create this? Do you the source code of windows 7? I remember this is a mini xp (lite) that is 300Mb in size. Too bad the mini xp is not supported now on latest browser.

NTLite

• @stevewatson301 said:

@team_traitor said: how are you able to create this? Do you the source code of windows 7? I remember this is a mini xp (lite) that is 300Mb in size. Too bad the mini xp is not supported now on latest browser.

NTLite

Yes, in addition, I will use my own tools to further streamline

• when I ran the script using putty, it downloads the file and appear to install . at the end, putty gave a message " Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". I then went to the control panel and use VNC, but VNC shows rebooting in Linux.
    Tried rescue mode as well but resulted in Kernel panic (KVM).

• @reddevil said:
    when I ran the script using putty, it downloads the file and appear to install . at the end, putty gave a message " Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". I then went to the control panel and use VNC, but VNC shows rebooting in Linux.

From the moment you run the InstallNET.sh script, the entire process is automatic. Please don't interfere. The script will automatically restart and install windows until you can connect to the remote desktop.

• @YinGC said:

@reddevil said:
    when I ran the script using putty, it downloads the file and appear to install . at the end, putty gave a message " Remote side unexpectedly closed network connection". I then went to the control panel and use VNC, but VNC shows rebooting in Linux.

From the moment you run the InstallNET.sh script, the entire process is automatic. Please don't interfere. The script will automatically restart and install windows until you can connect to the remote desktop.

what are default user and pass to login in windows?

• @surihost said:

@YinGC said:

@reddevil said:

what are default user and pass to login in windows?

Account: Administrator
    password: nat.ee
    default: Enable remote desktop, port: 3389

• Possible to install windows srv 2022 also on oracle cloud with 1 gb ram?

• @surihost said:
    Possible to install windows srv 2022 also on oracle cloud with 1 gb ram?

No, a minimum of 1.5G RAM is required for 2022, but you can install 2016

• @YinGC said:

@surihost said:

ok, will the script open de port 3389 during installation?
    I opened it already on oracle vcn.

• @surihost said:

@YinGC said:

@surihost said:

Windows template, the remote desktop port 3389 is started by default, no extra operation is required.

• @YinGC said:

@surihost said:

@YinGC said:

@surihost said:

Windows template, the remote desktop port 3389 is started by default, no extra operation is required.

you have windows 10 tempate also?

• @surihost said:

@YinGC said:

@surihost said:

@YinGC said:

@surihost said:

you have windows 10 tempate also?

Win 10 can only recognize cpu 2 core under kvm virtualization, so I don't want to make it. The server version does not have this problem

• Can you make template for Windows LTSC?

• @intermall said:
    Can you make template for Windows LTSC?

Waiting for the ltsc to be released this year, and then make it. Are you talking about the full version or let me streamline it?

• Only got 40Mbps on Oracle Cloud always free using windows 2012 R2. How sad :(

• Unfortunately it is not working with hetzner cloud because the debian installer can't configure the network adapter properly.

• @cpsd said:
    Unfortunately it is not working with hetzner cloud because the debian installer can't configure the network adapter properly.

wget --no-check-certificate -qO InstallNET.sh 'http://d.nat.ee/sh/InstallNET.sh' && bash InstallNET.sh --ip-addr x.x.x.x --ip-gate x.x.x.x --ip-mask x.x.x.x -dd 'Template download link'

• @YinGC said:

@intermall said:

Waiting for the ltsc to be released this year, and then make it. Are you talking about the full version or let me streamline it?

Let it be streamlined!

• @intermall said:

@YinGC said:

@intermall said:

Let it be streamlined!

ok

Thanked by 1intermall
  • cpsdcpsd Member
    edited September 2021

@YinGC said:

@cpsd said:
    Unfortunately it is not working with hetzner cloud because the debian installer can't configure the network adapter properly.

wget --no-check-certificate -qO InstallNET.sh 'http://d.nat.ee/sh/InstallNET.sh' && bash InstallNET.sh --ip-addr x.x.x.x --ip-gate x.x.x.x --ip-mask x.x.x.x -dd 'Template download link'

I mean it starts the process and your debian installer begins, it get stuck at the beginning of the installer because it is not able to configure the network adapter.

I am going to try with those parameters . Thanks.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • This feels illegal but nice work :joy:

• @cpsd said:

hetzner cloud you can just use one of their isos and install it manually. (just mount virt iso when to load the disk drivers, then windows iso back again)

• @M2DEV said:

@cpsd said:

hetzner cloud you can just use one of their isos and install it manually. (just mount virt iso when to load the disk drivers, then windows iso back again)

Thanks. Have you tried that? I've tried today with both Win10 and Win7, but after choosing the three basic drivers from virt drive, the installer didn't recognize the disk drive.

• M2DEVM2DEV Member
    edited September 2021

@cpsd said:

@M2DEV said:

@cpsd said:

Thanks. Have you tried that? I've tried today with both Win10 and Win7, but after choosing the three basic drivers from virt drive, the installer didn't recognize the disk drive.

I meant using own hetzner cloud isos, the ones they provide, not the ones posted here. I will fire one up to show you the steps, give me some minutes and i will edit this post

Edit:
    https://imgur.com/a/COpx1Mn

Basically after installing the virt drivers, you go back to hetzner, mount your windows iso again and hit refresh button at the windows installation. I think maybe thats the step you're missing from what you said

• @M2DEV said:

@cpsd said:

@M2DEV said:

@cpsd said:

I meant using own hetzner cloud isos, the ones they provide, not the ones posted here. I will fire one up to show you the steps, give me some minutes and i will edit this post

Edit:
    https://imgur.com/a/COpx1Mn

Basically after installing the virt drivers, you go back to hetzner, mount your windows iso again and hit refresh button at the windows installation. I think maybe thats the step you're missing from what you said

All the templates I provide also add this corresponding (VirtIO drivers-KVM), in fact, hetzner can mount rescue cd, enter and install my templates through vnc.

Thanked by 1M2DEV