Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using DD-wrt routers for VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using DD-wrt routers for VPN?

RamiRami Member
edited September 2013 in Help

Anyone using DD-wrt routers for VPN?Is it good?

I need a good router that can work with DD-WRT software to connect several branches via VPN server (hosted on VPS to solve Bandwidth issue)

I found this list:

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5820/5-best-routers-for-dd-wrt-with-vpn/

and Linksys E1200 is available in our market with a good price, anyone tried it?

I had a discussion on this matter before asking for a VPN router and I tried Mikrotik RouterBord but was not good for me

Comments

• Yes, all the time for many of our clients. If the router has enough cpu power and memory to handle the vpn traffic, then dd-wrt works great.

• dd-wrt i find cheaper end of routers have issues with large speeds, Theres few decent linksys routers with DD-WRT Mega pre-loaded on them for around £160 . depends on how high your vpn usage would be.

• @dot_txt Do you use it to connect branches? which kind of routers do you use?

@VPSSimon speed will be 1-2M it will be used to connect accounting system in most cases

• What type of VPN do you want? You can use a simple small Ubuntu server with L2TP and IPSEC: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/IPSEC_L2TP_vpn_with_Ubuntu_12.04.html - I myself have a few Linksys WRT54G's and WRT160NL's: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT160NL, one of which hosts a remote location VPN from which about 40 people are connected daily without problems. It doesn't do any routing though, only VPN.

• i couldnt get the full features on dd-wrt so i used tomato instead. imho i prefer tomato. im using an asus router btw.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I used 430w and now tplink 740n

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

@Raymii any type of vpn will be ok as long it is save and I already have some VPN servers one of them is L2TP (used your tutorial :) ) I have more than 400 clients on them

@cosmicgate I'll look at it

@netomx I have Tp-link 740 & 500 it is good as access point but I need something more dependable

• @Rami said:
    Raymii any type of vpn will be ok as long it is save and I already have some VPN servers one of them is L2TP (used your tutorial :) ) I have more than 400 clients on them

cosmicgate I'll look at it

netomx I have Tp-link 740 & 500 it is good as access point but I need something more dependable

>

I also manage some TP-links and buffalo's. The buffalo's are more stable with DD-WRT, the TP-links need a reboot once a week... (With dd-wrt).

• Take a look at microtik. Few dollars (e.g. RB2011UAS-RM) and you ´ll get a nice router with lot's of features.

• @Rami said:
    dot_txt Do you use it to connect branches? which kind of routers do you use?

VPSSimon speed will be 1-2M it will be used to connect accounting system in most cases

TBH most routers will work then, I was more talking about some routers after 20-30mb/s tend to flop out, U need high range linksys for pushing more than that speed ive noticed from personal set-ups.

1-2mb is nothing so all routers cud handle that no issue.

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

@Raymii buffalo is not available in our market (hard to find) Tp-link available but I think it is not dependable enough

@fileMEDIA I tried Mikrotik before for many things but I did not like it with VPN

@VPSSimon 20-30mb speed is so expensive here and not even available in most of our cities:)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I've got DDWRT on 5 or 6 routers and I've never had an issue with it. I even used it on a super old school wrt54g :)

• @jbiloh said:
    I've got DDWRT on 5 or 6 routers and I've never had an issue with it. I even used it on a super old school wrt54g :)

Those wrt54g's are so dame stable. Still in use at two satellite offices, outlived 4 provider DSL modems...

Mine died not too long ago, but it was running hard for at least 7 years. Considering that cheaper routers would die after 1-2 years consider me impressed.

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

wrt54g is a great router I used it before but not with dd-wrt and it is very stable

about dd-wrt is there any specific version is better with vpn?

• I've personally never used dd-wrt for that, but I've heard it's one of the better options i you do want to do that. Might start fiddling around with some old routers I have now..

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

I had an linksys e2000 and now have a e4200 (v1 which is the best linksys router for dd-wrt right now, in my opinion), first one works fine, 2nd works great.. . for vpn you need horse power (cpu) because of the encryption so depending on the use you'll give it make sure you buy the right router. If you use it for regular traffic (not torrent or anything bw intensive) then a low end router should do.. even a tplink.

We've been using dd wrt at both our office and at the data centers for remote wireless kvm access for about a year now where and I have no complaints. In fact a cheap $30 linksys router using dd wrt far out performed a $450 cisco unit, and he.

The tplink 740n has 400mhz, works good.

• @ndelaespada @jbiloh this mean if I use it for connecting accounting sys in branches it will need any kind of routers support dd-wrt,is this correct?

@netomx I had a problem with tp-link 741 (using dd-wrt) when trying to use VNC between two PC I couldn't connect I don't know why may be antivirus did this,anyway one of them are died I bought them for some tests

@Rami windows 7/8? Tried to use the LAN as home/work? That may be a problem.

You can revive those with a TTL adapter, I have successfully revived like 3 of them. I like them because they are so cheap here (like 20 dollars)

• @netomx I'm using Windows XP
    tp-link is cheap it's about $27 here (Linksys E1200 is about $65)

• I have an old WRT54GS (well, it's the v7 so it's not SUPER old) that I put DD-WRT on. Works a heck of a lot better than the Linksys Firmware, and is able to do exactly what I need it to do as well.

• @jbiloh how's is the remote wireless KVM configured? Simply connect to the NIC and ddwrt to the wireless LAN?

• @Rami said:
    I need a good router that can work with DD-WRT software to connect several branches via VPN server (hosted on VPS to solve Bandwidth issue)

I found this list:

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5820/5-best-routers-for-dd-wrt-with-vpn/

@Rami said:
    Raymii any type of vpn will be ok as long it is save and I already have some VPN servers one of them is L2TP (used your tutorial :) ) I have more than 400 clients on them

@rami, Even the article in the link suggests to use Openvpn as the more secure protocol. I suggest you review the firmware builds first here then find the suitable router from this table for a linksys or any other brand router which has 8+ meg of flash ram to flash a mega or big build.

You can find Cisco Linksys E3000 with 8 meg flash ram for $50 or less and flash it with Mega or bog build. It will easily handle 20-30 mega bit/sec for 40 users. Let me know if I can help.

• RamiRami Member
    edited September 2013

@corvid Thanks a lot for help

Linksys E3000 is not available here

this will make me choose Linksys E1200 V2 it have 8M flash and cost about $65-70
    and it support K26 NV64 big & K26 NV64 mega

Is dd-wrt support encryption with PPTP & L2TP?

• Yes to both. dd-wrt site even has a wiki on setting up PPTP.

• Finally discussions come back

I bought Linksys E1200v2 and faced some problems in the internet speed it is solved now I did install dd-wrt big and using OpenVPN on it and it's working great speed is Excellent

The only problem is forwarding ports for accessing PCs behind the dd-wrt NAT I tried many times and it is not working

• @Rami said:

I bought Linksys E1200v2 and faced some problems in the internet speed it is solved now I did install dd-wrt big and using OpenVPN on it and it's working great speed is Excellent

The only problem is forwarding ports for accessing PCs behind the dd-wrt NAT I tried many times and it is not working

It may be more than just forwarding ports, 1194, etc. openvpn clients need to be configured and DNSMasq to resolve for your OpenVPN clients. see this

How is it working now?

• @corvid said:
    How is it working now?

Actually it is working great

No need to port forwarding now because I use routing and I can access any server behind NAT with no problem at all