Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BudgetNode's host system hit by ransomware / PSA: Secure your IPMIs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BudgetNode's host system hit by ransomware / PSA: Secure your IPMIs

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

My VPS with BudgetNode went offline the other day and when I contacted them, I got the following response:

Unfortunately the host was compromised using a vulnerability/flaw in the IPMI and a ransomware encrypting all files was installed demanding a ransom. We then shut off the host to begin investigating.

I was quite surprised that this is still an issue... Malware like JungleSec came up about two years ago so I would expect providers to have their IPMIs secured somehow.

But since I have never rented a dedi, I'm curious what's the "industry standard" for IPMI access. Does one even have IPMI access by default? Is it a public IP? Does one have to connect to a VPN to get access to the IPMI network?

Comments

• There should at least be some minimal security measures like connected to VPN (which belongs to the network where the IPMI is) first before accessing IPMI, or you need to whitelist your IP first before you can connect to the IPMI, otherwise, your connection will be refused. I'm not an expert on this so take this with a grain of salt.

• Jesus!

Thanked by 2Jesus dedicados
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

If you colocate machina, you have to secure it, if you fuck it up, its on you.
    If you rent a machina, they have to secure the IPMI or not even connect it to the dangerous interwebs.

Question here would be, did he colocate or rent it?

Thanked by 1alanbeta
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

@Neoon said:
    If you rent a machina, they have to secure the IPMI or not even connect it to the dangerous interwebs.

If you rent a machine with IPMI you have the responsibility to ensure its secured one way or another, regardless of how it was delivered.

@brueggus said:
    But since I have never rented a dedi, I'm curious what's the "industry standard" for IPMI access. Does one even have IPMI access by default? Is it a public IP? Does one have to connect to a VPN to get access to the IPMI network?

There isn't really a standard. Some providers will provision IPMI over their private network and only allow access via their control panel. Some do port forwarding of a public address to private network accessible via their panel (I dislike this one, as it looks to the end user that IPMI is locked behind the panel, but actually it's accessible to anyone who finds the public address & port). Some do it on private network and provide shared VPN access (I dislike this one, as any of their customers can connect and attack your system, and it may be difficult to determine who was responsible). Some do it on public address with ACLs applied for you to limit it to their office + your endpoint - I think that's quite an effective solution especially for rented hardware, bonus points if you set up monitoring to ensure its never accessible. Some do it on public address without securing it.

Ultimately you need to be aware of what you're ordering (i.e. is there IPMI, idrac, etc) and ensure it gets secured one way or another.

edited August 2021

@jackb said:

@Neoon said:

If you rent a machine with IPMI you have the responsibility to ensure its secured one way or another, regardless of how it was delivered.

You can't by 100%, since you don't have control over the Network neither have you an idea how the network is configured. Yes you can make obviously checks but that's it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

People expose IPMI on public IPs still?

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @dahartigan said:
    Jesus!

Jesus Christus!

• gappergapper Member
    edited August 2021

I still remember the PageClick fiasco.

My advice: get out from @Ishaq asap.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    You can't by 100%, since you don't have control over the Network neither have you an idea how the network is configured. Yes you can make obviously checks but that's it.

If you aren't sure, you should ask. Your provider will undoubtedly be happy to help ensure IPMI is secure.

@jackb said:

@Neoon said:

If you aren't sure, you should ask. Your provider will undoubtedly be happy to help ensure IPMI is secure.

Good luck with that, depending on your provider, they won't even check, you just get a canned response. Last time I asked OVH why my dedicated lost power, I ended up wasting my time.

Even if they state its secure, it may not.
    So yada yada.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@gapper said: My advice: get out from @Ishaq asap.

Sounds like a good idea. The server's down for a week now and I haven't received any update so far.

• @brueggus said:

Sounds like a good idea. The server's down for a week now and I haven't received any update so far.

Restore your backups to another server from a more professionally managed operation, and don't look back.

• LeviLevi Member

Deadpooled?

• @LTniger said:
    Deadpooled?

Confirmed.

Thanked by 2Levi dedicados
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@dahartigan said:

@brueggus said:

Restore your backups to another server from a more professionally managed operation, and don't look back.

I already did. I've opened a ticket with their Billing dept. and requested a refund for the remaining 3.5 months I've already paid for. As expected, I got no response at all.

That's the third provider this year keeping my money while stopping to provide the service. The LowEndGame's not running well for me.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@dahartigan said:

@LTniger said:
    Deadpooled?

Confirmed.

Don't think so...though the practical experience is apparently the same.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/budgetnode.com

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • LeviLevi Member

@brueggus said:

@dahartigan said:

@brueggus said:

I already did. I've opened a ticket with their Billing dept. and requested a refund for the remaining 3.5 months I've already paid for. As expected, I got no response at all.

That's the third provider this year keeping my money while stopping to provide the service. The LowEndGame's not running well for me.

If you willing to play the game, you know the risks. Hold on till bf. We will rejoice.

• Are these problems common for budget type VM hosters?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@airgapped said: Are these problems common for budget type VM hosters?

I don't think they are more or less common as other providers. Even large companies get hit with ransomware and don't utilize security for their IPMIs

Thanked by 1airgapped
  • Thanks