Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jbiloh and admins, please get our community working! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jbiloh and admins, please get our community working!

124»

Comments

• @raindog308 said: I'm opening up a Meta category for discussion of site improvements, complaints, bugs, and other feedback. Please use it.

Great idea, maybe we could move this thread there: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/168163/poll-should-provider-offers-sink

@raindog308 said: Obviously, RackNerd does not exclusively keep LET alive but they are a major advertiser.

To be blunt, LET/LEB costs a ton of time and effort to run because (a) it's a forum which takes a lot more horsepower just due to the nature of forum software, (b) it's vanilla, (c) DDoS attacks, and (d) all the other things that go in running a community. Advertisers make LET/LEB possible. There would be no LET/LEB without them

If this is the reason why the above was never implemented, I'm perfectly fine with it. Glad someone finally said it

Thanked by 1default
  • @Offshore_Solutions said:

@dahartigan said:
    We also need less scams here.
    Some of the scams these past 12 months have been easy to spot..boomer.

Boomer.host is a scammer? Evidence?

@ezeth

Boomer.host isn't a scammer, he's going through growing pains.

• @dahartigan said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@dahartigan said:

@ezeth

An anonymous informant told me.

No, love you though.

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

The end is nigh.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2021

@mmuyskens said:
    The end is nigh.

Made the wave and had to quit that shit cause ya'll cringe & I Iove @deank

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:
    The end is nigh.

Please urgently do the needful and return your memeship card via snail mail.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @mmuyskens said:

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:
    The end is nigh.

L. I was the inspiration to set it into place.

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:
    The end is nigh.

The clan will be discussing this internally to explore the proper route to handle this situation.

• @mmuyskens said:

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:

@SirFoxy said:

@mmuyskens said:
    The end is nigh.

The clan will be discussing this internally to explore the proper route to handle this situation.

L. I'm the dad of nigh sect & I love @deank I promote @dahartigan to second place.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said: We'd love to have you join our community:http://HostBoards.com/

So, basically you are advertising a forum that is in competition with this one for free while talking about this site playing favorites? Interesting.

• Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@SirFoxy said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@dahartigan said:

@ezeth

Boomer.host isn't a scammer, he's going through growing pains.

HostSolutions ro isn't a scammer.
    They are going through growing pains.

• edited August 2021

@Arkas said:
    So, basically you are advertising a forum that is in competition with this one for free while talking about this site playing favorites? Interesting.

My forum doesn't come close to competing with LET.

@InceptionHosting's LowEndSpirit.com is LET's biggest competition. I copied his (Anthony's)
    signature almost word for word he used here on LET. For over a year, Anthony's signature asked people to try LowEndSpirit and no one complained about it.

The 2nd biggest competition to LET is @Jar's HostedTalk.net forum. He actively posts here despite his forum's popularity.

The 3rd biggest competition to LET may be WebProject's Vanilla Forum. WebProject actively posts here despite his viable alternative to LET.

@HostNamaste posts here despite being the owner (I believe although not 100%) of a viable competitor to LET: LetsHostTalk.com

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Ideally there shouldn't be a "competition" between community-based forums to begin with.

But hey, that's just from my point of view.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • I would make a comment but it took so many tries I forget what I was going to say.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: You don't have a right to assume @stevewatson301 doesn't want to improve this site. If LET followed Steve's advice and stopped playing favorites with those like @dustinc who resell ColoCrossing, LET would be vastly more fair.

What exactly is LET/LEB doing to "play favorites" with RackNerd?

• Allowing them to post offers? They abide by the same rules as everyone else.
    • Accepting their advertising? They pay for ads and so they get ads.
    • Allowing them to contribute content on LEB? An offer I've made repeatedly available (and is still available) to other providers.
    • Allowing them to post offers on LEB? Again, same rules as everyone else.

And btw, this is the provider that you, the community, voted as top provider in the most recent poll.

So...how exactly is LET playing favorites? Please provide specifics.

I'll wait while you drive over to the house with your stashed laptops so you can reply.

• I'm going to start my own site Lowendtrolling.com. I'm just waiting for my server on hostsolutions.ro to go back online.

Thanked by 2dahartigan yoursunny
  • aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said: Allowing them to post offers? They abide by the same rules as everyone else.

I have to admit if every single provider started posting like racknerd and bumping every offer thread they have for the last year the front page would be an absolute shitshow and please encourage this

I think it's somewhat of a standard "engineers really fucking hate marketing and salespeople"

• @aiden1 said:

@raindog308 said: Allowing them to post offers? They abide by the same rules as everyone else.

I have to admit if every single provider started posting like racknerd and bumping every offer thread they have for the last year the front page would be an absolute shitshow and please encourage this

I think it's somewhat of a standard "engineers really fucking hate marketing and salespeople"

I think it would be awesome if more providers posted deals like racknerd!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @redcat said:

@aiden1 said:

One deal is posted, then bumped 300 times with nothing useful added. I'd be happy if the topics had dates so you can easily avoid the 3 month old thread that won't die.

• @TimboJones said:

@redcat said:

@aiden1 said:

One deal is posted, then bumped 300 times with nothing useful added. I'd be happy if the topics had dates so you can easily avoid the 3 month old thread that won't die.

I agree it would be nice if we could hide threads or at least unsubscribe from seeing the new posts notification. I'm tired of seeing the involucration thread.

• Just sink the whole offers category

• @yokowasis said:
    Just sink nuke the whole offers category

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    Just sink the whole offers category

Bad for the community. A big part of why people visit and enjoy LowEndTalk is the offers and the content/dialog within.

LowEndTalk is growing really rapidly the past year and especially the last few months. That growth is really healthy for our community.

• @jbiloh said:

@yokowasis said:

Bad for the community. A big part of why people visit and enjoy LowEndTalk is the offers and the content/dialog within.

LowEndTalk is growing really rapidly the past year and especially the last few months. That growth is really healthy for our community.

Wrong.

The community comes for fresh offers. Not for offers from last Black Friday or New Year 2020.

Sinking the offer threads is a must.

Otherwise - I will go ahead and bump all 5yr old offer threads from providers, and see how you guys will react to it. I'm sure if its not RackNerd or AlphaRacks - you will not be a big fan, no?

We voted. Sink the damn threads.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@yokowasis said:

I would say, sink the offer thread as soon as the deals in the top post is sold out or after 10 days, whichever is later.

• edited August 2021

@yoursunny said:

@yokowasis said:

I would say, sink the offer thread as soon as the deals in the top post is sold out or after 10 days, whichever is later.

Actually majority of poll voters choose the offer thread sink after certain days.. but who know @jbiloh mind, this is not properly implemented..

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/168163/poll-should-provider-offers-sink

Edit: tagging jbiloh

• @yoursunny said:

@yokowasis said:

That's the problem. The RackNerd deals are still available and so your criteria wouldn't apply.