Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slacker Networks has been acquired by Path Network, Inc.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slacker Networks has been acquired by Path Network, Inc.

wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

I wanted to keep the community informed of upcoming changes to Slacker Networks:

Path Network, Inc. has entered into an agreement with Slacker Networks to acquire all customers, hardware, resources and IP space.

Thanked by 3JasonM mike1s default

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

Awesome! Congrats.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • Congrats!

• Congrats! Appreciate the service you have provided to us and looking forward to working with path going forward.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • What's with this game "let's create a company that lasts for three months and sell it off" that you and @mike1s have been playing? Speedrunning company formation and exits?

• @stevewatson301 said:
    What's with this game "let's create a company that lasts for three months and sell it off" that you and @mike1s have been playing? Speedrunning company formation and exits?

If its profitable, and customers are not affected, why not?

• @stefeman said:

@stevewatson301 said:
    What's with this game "let's create a company that lasts for three months and sell it off" that you and @mike1s have been playing? Speedrunning company formation and exits?

If its profitable, and customers are not affected, why not?

Of course business owners are within their right to create, dissolve or sell companies as they see fit, but creating a company for mere months and selling it off seems dubious.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @stevewatson301 said:

Skids acquiring skids is the best part. The owner of Slack Networks is known for swatting people:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/canadian-man-gets-9-months-detention-for-serial-swattings-bomb-threats/

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Unixfy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2021

@tester4 said: Skids acquiring skids is the best part. The owner of Slack Networks is known for swatting people:

Enough with that.

He's worked hard to get past that.

He does great at Path.net as an employee as well. He actively takes part in the (un)official Path.net channel on the Frantech discord keeping us informed of any issues, maintenance windows, and assists customers with their firewall configures.

Yes, he was a shithead when he was young. Yes, he paid his debt for it.

Please give him a break.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@tester4 said: Skids acquiring skids is the best part. The owner of Slack Networks is known for swatting people:

Enough with that.

He does great at Path.net as an employee as well. He actively takes part in the (un)official Path.net channel on the Frantech discord keeping us informed of any issues, maintenance windows, and assists customers with their firewall configures.

Please give him a break.

Francisco

No.

'In response, a heavily-armed police force surrounded my home and put me in handcuffs at gunpoint before the police realized it was all a dangerous hoax.'

9 months in prison, and 4 years in total since it happened may be enough for you think think all is forgiven, but the guy literally could have got someone killed, and the antics clearly continue with this acquisition :)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • LeviLevi Member

@Francisco said:

Enough with that.

Please give him a break.

Francisco

No, he does not deserve a break. Swating is such a low life activity that will be caried his entire life. Specially in serial swating.

@tester4 said: 9 months in prison, and 4 years in total since it happened may be enough for you think think all is forgiven, but the guy literally could have got someone killed, and the antics clearly continue with this acquisition

@LTniger said: No, he does not deserve a break. Swating is such a low life activity that will be caried his entire life. Specially in serial swating.

Not asking for anyone to forgive or forget, but dragging it up every time does nothing but causes more drama. Everyone is aware, it's very easy to find. Path's fully aware of his past, so what does bringing this up help with?

He's done nothing wrong in this sale. Customers were taken care of up until today, and Path must've made him a buyout offer that was worth it to him.

The customers will continue getting service, everything is honored.

Where's the issue with this one?

Francisco

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited August 2021

@Francisco said:

@tester4 said: 9 months in prison, and 4 years in total since it happened may be enough for you think think all is forgiven, but the guy literally could have got someone killed, and the antics clearly continue with this acquisition

@LTniger said: No, he does not deserve a break. Swating is such a low life activity that will be caried his entire life. Specially in serial swating.

Not asking for anyone to forgive or forget, but dragging it up every time does nothing but causes more drama. Everyone is aware, it's very easy to find. Path's fully aware of his past, so what does bringing this up help with?

He's done nothing wrong in this sale. Customers were taken care of up until today, and Path must've made him a buyout offer that was worth it to him.

The customers will continue getting service, everything is honored.

Where's the issue with this one?

Francisco

Because it was in a direct reply to someone asking what's the point of opening and closing businesses every other day, and I am pointing out the character of the person who is doing this, as to why it makes sense that dodgy dealings are going on. :#

Thanked by 2webcraft iKeyZ
  • LeviLevi Member

If path is aware of his activities than they absorb his reputation also. Personally I could forgive and ignore many mishaps, but killing, abusing children and swating is something to much to pass on. I will not continue this of-topic.

@tester4 said: Because it was in a direct reply to someone asking what's the point of opening and closing businesses every other day, and I am pointing out the character of the person who is doing this, as to why it makes sense that dodgy dealings are going on.

I just don't see what's dodgy. It's one thing if summerhost #1 & summerhost #2 merge to form autumnhost, fine, but Path's a big brand with a multi million dollar valuation.

I dunno, I'm not seeing it but it's 2AM for me.

Francisco

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

Francisco is defending someone who broke the law and did time. I expected this from him.

Thanked by 2dahartigan webcraft
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited August 2021

@default said:
    Francisco is defending someone who broke the law and did time. I expected this from him.

This whole "second chances" shenanigans is too common with conservatives, as we've already seen here on LET.

Thanked by 2dahartigan AndrewL64
  • DvoDvo Veteran

I'm not sure why he thinks we care he was acquired by Path?

His ego issues mimic the same of boy Johnny.

As you follow the company trail, you start to see a pattern of a kid who creates companies for the sole purpose of /22's from ARIN.

It's ironic when you look as how he types.

“Path Network, Inc. has entered into an agreement with Slacker Networks to acquire all customers, hardware, resources and IP space. “

His customer base and hardware would have no value, the IP's would.

He's an employee of Path? Why is he getting his DDoS protection through BuyVM then? Why not direct? If he has 50 Gbps of network capacity, surly it's not a money issue. Oh wait...OK!

I'm actually surprised LET unbanned him and allows him to continue to post “LIR” offers.

He shouldn't be doing ANY commerce on this site, period.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@Dvo said:

As you follow the company trail, you start to see a pattern of a kid who creates companies for the sole purpose of /22's from ARIN.

I don't see any issue here, there are plenty of big and small companies doing the same, as long as he provide all valid documents and payment to any RIR and RIR's approve it, why should anyone see this as an issue?

It's ironic when you look as how he types.

“Path Network, Inc. has entered into an agreement with Slacker Networks to acquire all customers, hardware, resources and IP space. “

His customer base and hardware would have no value, the IP's would.

Either nothing wrong with this too, he clearly mentioned "customers, hardware and IP resource"

He's an employee of Path? Why is he getting his DDoS protection through BuyVM then? Why not direct? If he has 50 Gbps of network capacity, surly it's not a money issue. Oh wait...OK!

I'm actually surprised LET unbanned him and allows him to continue to post “LIR” offers.

He shouldn't be doing ANY commerce on this site, period.

I am not connected to any of Path's services nor do i use their services (although i wish to have Path protection), nor to any of Path's employee but, if someone makes a mistake in the past, and he was sentenced not only he but everyone deserve a second chance in the life, please note, SECOND chance not third.
    I am pretty sure most of us have stuck somewhere with mistakes in our life, someone got catch someone not. Giving a second chance it's just what we humans being do.

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited August 2021

@AlbaHost said:
    Giving a second chance it's just what we humans being do.

At almost 36 SWATing and false bomb threats (according to Krebs), particularly in the US, he's extremely lucky nobody got killed. Without being too dramatic - any reasonable person would recognise the danger of SWATing and armed police response in the US - that's potentially over 30 attempted murders. That in mind, people are bound to be sceptical about forgiveness.

• Crooks defending crooks.

@dahartigan said:
    Crooks defending crooks.

Not defending anyone, just talked about second chance, just keep insults for yourself, not everyone is like you.

Thanked by 2dystopia kheng86
  • @AlbaHost said:

@dahartigan said:
    Crooks defending crooks.

Not defending anyone, just talked about second chance, just keep insults for yourself, not everyone is like you.

I wasn't even referring to you, but you're welcome to take offense if that suits you..

• LeviLevi Member

@AlbaHost said: I don't see any issue here,

It is against RIPE,ARIN etc policies to create "shell companies" in order to horde IP's.

@LTniger said:

@AlbaHost said: I don't see any issue here,

It is against RIPE,ARIN etc policies to create "shell companies" in order to horde IP's.

Well might be, not aware of this but, this is RIR's responsibility to check, and i assume they check every LIR application before they assign the resource. But believe me or not, i know alot of companies doing the same. Personally as a small company, was not eligible more than a /24 so...

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2021

Everyone in Path are indeed helping other providers now regardless of their history, such as what you can see in Frantech discord.

Several of them also still run around in skid community discords with alternative nicknames ddosing each others, all the while typing helpful and happy comments via another nickname.

I guess one could argue that it's some kind of hobby like "tag" for them. The idea is that they create VPN/Game servers from servers of various providers, and have each others ddos them down. Whoever succeeds in attacking or defending the other is supposedly "the bigger guy". It's all fun and games untill someone comes with a large IoT botnet and causes problems for the entire network.

I can instantly name 2 people in path.net with individual evidence against each, but I'm not really interested in posting it public here since I don't wish to get harrashed in my work email or get swatted in revenge as my details are pretty much public under this nickname since I never intended to hide them.

I only commented this because this discussion came up again here.

Don't get me wrong. They probly do a lot of good nowdays, but they are still as much unethichal as they were before. just much more restrained and limited to just sending network attacks against each others within small circles.

Should a trusted third party wish to verify the above claim, I can send proof to him privately, but I'd rather not anger them more than this post itself will do.

Anyway, they all served their time, and are free now. Lets hope they stay free in future too and bring something positive to hosting industry in the coming years. People generally do change over decades.

• It's disheartening the severity of poor decisions young adults are making requiring second chances. Life is already challenging enough, don't make it harder.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@AlbaHost said:
    Well might be, not aware of this but, this is RIR's responsibility to check, and i assume they check every LIR application before they assign the resource. But believe me or not, i know alot of companies doing the same. Personally as a small company, was not eligible more than a /24 so...

I think the point you're overlooking is that with ARIN, there is a certain level of trust they apply in the applications. If you claim the resources will be used for dial-up users they assume you'll use them for such. If you claim they'll be used for VPS's, they assume such. It doesn't take much to fabricate contracts or purchase agreements, to “fool” them.

If you claim VPS hosting, then spin around and lease the /24's out, you're not using the IP's for the justified reasons. As part of the application process, you sign an agreement that the resources will be used for what the application has listed.

Now, if somebody went and made an application to ARIN and their only justification is that they want to “lease” the IP's out, do you honestly think ARIN would approve the application?

That doesn't mean, that after the fact, ARIN can't investigate what the actual usage is and if they decide, begin the process of reclaiming the resources as they were acquired under false pretenses.

When you look at the OP's criminal history, you can see how it could continue into other aspects of his decision making process.

So for an example, if Path bought the IP's under an acquisition and said resources did in fact get reclaimed, it would put the OP is a rather bad spot in terms of liability. But then, they (Path) purchased the IP's from someone that has the history he has. So there ya go!

Thanked by 1AlbaHost
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@AlbaHost said:

@Dvo said:

I don't see any issue here, there are plenty of big and small companies doing the same, as long as he provide all valid documents and payment to any RIR and RIR's approve it, why should anyone see this as an issue?

Can I make 256 companies with $30 each and ask for a /24 for each company?
    Then I merge all the companies and I have a /16 worth millions?

edited August 2021

@yoursunny said:

@AlbaHost said:

@Dvo said:

Can I make 256 companies with $30 each and ask for a /24 for each company?
    Then I merge all the companies and I have a /16 worth millions?

Sure, if you think it's not risky you can do it. I don't know that there is a limit by creating/register companies in any country. As you can see, it works perfectly fine.

• @stefeman said:
    Everyone in Path are indeed helping other providers now regardless of their history, such as what you can see in Frantech discord.

Several of them also still run around in skid community discords with alternative nicknames ddosing each others, all the while typing helpful and happy comments via another nickname.

I guess one could argue that it's some kind of hobby like "tag" for them. The idea is that they create VPN/Game servers from servers of various providers, and have each others ddos them down. Whoever succeeds in attacking or defending the other is supposedly "the bigger guy". It's all fun and games untill someone comes with a large IoT botnet and causes problems for the entire network.

I can instantly name 2 people in path.net with individual evidence against each, but I'm not really interested in posting it public here since I don't wish to get harrashed in my work email or get swatted in revenge as my details are pretty much public under this nickname since I never intended to hide them.

I only commented this because this discussion came up again here.

Don't get me wrong. They probly do a lot of good nowdays, but they are still as much unethichal as they were before. just much more restrained and limited to just sending network attacks against each others within small circles.

Should a trusted third party wish to verify the above claim, I can send proof to him privately, but I'd rather not anger them more than this post itself will do.

Anyway, they all served their time, and are free now. Lets hope they stay free in future too and bring something positive to hosting industry in the coming years. People generally do change over decades.

I'm all up for forgive and forget, I myself was involved with the bad crowd years ago as a teenager.

What I have an issue with, however, is this activity continuing in today's age when Path is now a large-ish brand and yet just the other month someone who I think was a Path employee (or just Discord staff from Tempest, I can't recall) had attacked my network with large attacks (>300Gbps) for the fun of it and boasted about it.

As far as I'm aware, that person no longer has any affiliation with Path but it is still a cause for concern when not only are they hiring people who are known in the DDoS scene, but are actively attacking people who rent services from providers who themselves use Path as a DDoS protection provider.

I'm not going to judge the past for the most part, because it's the past. I will judge what happens in the present, though.