Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review - Sonicfast.io
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review - Sonicfast.io

jon617jon617 Veteran
edited August 2021 in Reviews

Sonicfast.io - would not recommend.

Signed up for a year last November because I liked their cheap promo price for a KVM, always-on 160 Gbps DDoS protection, and location (UK). They were featured on LEB more than once. https://lowendbox.com/tag/sonicfast/

Support and Documentation - Horrible. Ticket responses were dismissive and short. Literally short, 10 words or less. Examples of ticket responses:

• "we only provide support for the paid version" in response to where I can find the free-tier DDoS management control panel advertised on their website.
  • "we didn't change anything in our firewall or network" in response to their network blocking all inbound traffic to a port that my VPS had been using.

In contrast, my BuyVM VPS had the same port blocked at the same time, since they probably used the same DDoS upstream provider. BuyVM quickly acknowledged the upstream provider had made a firewall change, re-opened the port, and gave me instructions on how to open/close the port myself. I'm not saying BuyVM is the gold standard, but my issue may have been easily fixable if it was met with a hint of empathy from Sonicfast.

Network - speed had been very good. The host was always online, and never saw any slow network.

Features - Bare minimum to poor, compared to other low-end providers. No SolusVM or similar management, despite their claim to have SolusVM. Maybe they do have Solus, but their support was no help (see above). Console access never worked for me (Java errors). Only control features available were reboot, reinstall, and a 24 hour mrtg bandwidth usage graph.

Uptime - Great! No unannounced downtime January to August, 2021. Maintenance was announced one week prior to my VPS being rebooted.

Too bad they could not muster decent support. Everything else had been nice. Perhaps adequate support would come on plans above the LowEnd tier, not sure, but other than having reliable DDoS protection at a low cost, I will leave feeling unappreciated and wanting to share my experience here, rooting for them to improve.

Thanked by 3BBTN drunkendog SinV

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

Can agree, my Ticket is still open and in progress since weeks.
    Don't waste your time here.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • Courtesy @SonicFastIO

(Two SonicFast accounts?)

• frogfrog Barred
    edited August 2021

They have sonicfast price hikes. :smiley:
    If you press the order button on a €9.99 KVM VPS offer on their website, the price is €10.83 -> 11.99 + VAT in the shopping cart.

• This provider said "unlimited traffic" but it's a big lie. When I purchased the service, I saw that there was a 1 TB traffic limit. There was no information about this in the ToS. It looks too amateurish. They're probably hacking into their clients' servers and watching their nude videos.

• edited August 2021

@cheap_box said:
    This provider said "unlimited traffic" but it's a big lie. When I purchased the service, I saw that there was a 1 TB traffic limit. There was no information about this in the ToS. It looks too amateurish. They're probably hacking into their clients' servers and watching their nude videos.

To be fair - they do bump it up once you open a ticket, usually for free.

They asked for x2 the regular price to get 10TB of traffic, so thats not bad at all.

The reason why I left them was that huge outage a few months ago. Other than that one time - they have been pretty acceptable, specially considering that they run on the zare network.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2021

Updating my review with yabs benchmark results, on their 512MB KVM with 10GB disk and 1 CPU. Performance and value had been great for the price:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Aug 21 11:06:05 CDT 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2494.224 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 486.9 MiB
    Swap       : 520.3 MiB
    Disk       : 9.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 43.63 MB/s   (10.9k) | 93.99 MB/s    (1.4k)
    Write      | 43.70 MB/s   (10.9k) | 94.48 MB/s    (1.4k)
    Total      | 87.34 MB/s   (21.8k) | 188.48 MB/s   (2.9k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 323.39 MB/s    (631) | 316.87 MB/s    (309)
    Write      | 340.57 MB/s    (665) | 337.97 MB/s    (330)
    Total      | 663.97 MB/s   (1.2k) | 654.84 MB/s    (639)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 939 Mbits/sec   | 935 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 915 Mbits/sec   | 693 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 912 Mbits/sec   | 926 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 743 Mbits/sec   | 217 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 890 Mbits/sec   | 184 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 843 Mbits/sec   | 294 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 849 Mbits/sec   | 150 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 743 Mbits/sec   | 208 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 573                           
    Multi Core      | 552                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/9432789