Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

June 2021 has passed and Google Photos counts new media towards storage - What's your solution?

Since June 2021 new media is counted towards your Google Drive/Storage limit of 15GB (free tier). This was announced quite a while ago but I was wondering how everyone decided to handle this situation? Personally, I will likely bite the apple and upgrade storage because I love Google Photos for what it is and photos from june 2021 till now already amount to 3GB (10GB are occupied by GDrive leaving little space left on free tier). Also thought about moving new photos to Amazon Prime unlimited but that wont last forever either, soo.. Self-hosted might be cheaper but less convenient. A hard drive is not necessarily accessible everywhere, so that's not an option.
Anywy, what did you do?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Wait til BF/CM, nail the legendary deals and go self-hosted.

• @DP said:

With Chevereto or smth else (nextcloud, owncloud)?

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

IF I was in this situation, I would get a BuyVM slice, attach a slab, and run Nextcloud. Or some similar web app, to what would replicate whatever experience I liked in Google's apps.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Ympker said: With Chevereto or smth else (nextcloud, owncloud)?

I used Nextcloud to store some travel photos a couple of years ago.

Then there's also Lychee.

Thanked by 2Ympker nyamenk
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Ympker said:
    bite the apple
    I love Google Photos

If you bite the apple, you should be paying for iCloud.

First, take fewer photos, set lower resolution, and delete badly framed photos on the bus.
    1440x1080 is enough for photos that you do not intend to print.

Then, they are copied to HDD on home router.
    It's accessible via SAMBA in my room, and via HTTPS (Basic authentication, download only) anywhere.
    I have daily automated backup to HostHatch 250GB big plate chicken, and monthly manual backup to another HDD that is normally offline.

None of my photos were on Google Photos or iCloud.
    I post them on Facebook (full resolution) and Windows Live SkyDrive (800x600 to save storage) for sharing.

Thanked by 2Hotmarer Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2021

@yoursunny said:

@Ympker said:
    bite the apple
    I love Google Photos

If you bite the apple, you should be paying for iCloud.

First, take fewer photos, set lower resolution, and delete badly framed photos on the bus.
    1440x1080 is enough for photos that you do not intend to print.

Then, they are copied to HDD on home router.
    It's accessible via SAMBA in my room, and via HTTPS (Basic authentication, download only) anywhere.
    I have daily automated backup to HostHatch 250GB big plate chicken, and monthly manual backup to another HDD that is normally offline.

None of my photos were on Google Photos or iCloud.
    I post them on Facebook (full resolution) and Windows Live SkyDrive (800x600 to save storage) for sharing.

Not sure I would want to use iCloud as I don't use any Apple device tbh. But what I am currently doing is compressing my taken photos using Shortpixel's (new) Android App which seems to work quite good (reducing file size while maintaining quality). I have also only yet the "camera" folder from my phone to get saved to Google Fotos automatically (so nothing from WhatsApp Media/Download folder) ends up adding to the storage limit. However, I often take random photos with my phone's cam that I don't really need to be saved in the Cloud (like a photo from a chair) but that still get saved automatically. I might just disable automatic save at this point and compress&select images prior to uploading going forward.

jxvaz.jpg

• Yandex has unlimited photo backup for free and unlimited video backup if you have any paid plans (theyre very cheap)
    https://yandex.com/promo/disk/mob_1/unlim_b_1

• gianggiang Veteran

Microsoft 365 seems will be a cheaper choice. I can buy a family pack for 6 account, ~ 40 USD a year from Microsoft Vietnam.

6TB + Office for 6 PCs.

Thanked by 2Ympker HWAYS
  • @AXYZE said:
    Yandex has unlimited photo backup for free and unlimited video backup if you have any paid plans (theyre very cheap)
    https://yandex.com/promo/disk/mob_1/unlim_b_1

Interesting. One more "big player" out there.

• I hear iCloud Photos is getting all the attention these days. :D

• @DP said:

Don't forget 11/11. I know Racknerd had its best deals on that day.

• I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

• Idrive has "unlimited" photo/video storage for 10$/yr (first 7days free, first year 0.99$), it's only allowed to be used on mobile devices.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • As a pixel owner this doesn't bother me at all lol

• using google one for now, gonna just get pixel 4 later

• I'm using Nextcloud. I would go with something lighter, but I don't know any good. The most important thing to me is that photos get automatically uploaded to a cloud soon after the photo is taken.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure why that only now gets to you there, it is counted towards my storage since years.

• Did you trust Google photos to upload your pics?

• sonicsonic Veteran

I subscribed to iCloud 2TB, that's more than enough more my whole family (shared to 5 members)

• @Maounique said:
    I am not sure why that only now gets to you there, it is counted towards my storage since years.

Yeah. They announced it to be in place as of june 2021. Everything from Google Photos before apparently won't count towards storage limit. Yesterday I downloaded all my photos from june 2021 until now, deleted them on Google Photos (since it showed Google Photos to use 2,4GB space before), compressed them with Shortpixel and re-uploaded them. Now Google Photos only occupies 800MB. The compression was quite worth it :) Still, 11GB of my drive are occupied so moving some stuff to K00fr. I also uploaded all my cameras photos on K00fr as a backup (the app let's you backup all media on your phone with one click).

• nvmenvme Member

@Baris said:
    I bought 2TB of Google One space over VPN in Turkey for 29 Euro (yearly) and created additional accounts to share the space with my family.

Because of the economical crisis in Turkey you can make pretty good deals there on Google Services (also bought YouTube Premium/YouTube Music for very cheap).

I have to check out if I can buy multiple years of service, the exchange rate right now is very favourable for people from Europe.

Last time I checked for a selfhosted alternative I was rather disappointed. I like Google Photos and will keep using in the future (in combination with my monthly own backup).

I have been doing this for Netflix :smiley:
    So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

• Microsoft family 365 sharing with my 5 other friends. 1TB storage is enough for me.

• @dosai said:
    Microsoft family 365 sharing with my 5 other friends. 1TB storage is enough for me.

Can 1 user use all 6 TB? Or does it limited to 1 TB per user?

• @chocolateshirt said:

@dosai said:
    Microsoft family 365 sharing with my 5 other friends. 1TB storage is enough for me.

Can 1 user use all 6 TB? Or does it limited to 1 TB per user?

Limited to 1TB per account. You can create multiple outlook accounts and use if you want.

• @nvme said:
    I have been doing this for Netflix :smiley:
    So, are you accessing your account over Turkey VPN or just from your home broadband?

Hi,
    I am also using this method for Netflix :) VPNs saved me a lot of money in the past for different kind of services and software.

Some people on other boards had problems with Google over VPN because they used their freshly created account over the normal home broadband connection. They monitor you IP geolocation. They will force switch your account to the country where you connect from most of the time after a couple of months.

To prevent this you can create multiple accounts in Turkey and share your Google benefits to your "family members".

I only use my family member account to connect to the Google services (home broadband).

Somehow Google won't switch your account this way as they don't seem to care where the family members connect from. Only the paying main account (family administrator) is relevant.

• I don't want my data to be used by Google, so I hold it on a VPS with encryption.

@default said: I don't want my data to be used by Google, so I hold it on a VPS with encryption.

As long as you only download it encrypted and the key are never in the memory of the vm you are safe.

• SovaSova Member

I've migrated to Koofr. Works just fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Maounique said:

@default said: I don't want my data to be used by Google, so I hold it on a VPS with encryption.

As long as you only download it encrypted and the key are never in the memory of the vm you are safe.

True, but I have some trust in small providers. I can afford to keep the key in memory.

@default said: I have some trust in small providers

You mean you trust they don't know how to extract it :P