Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"marketing" 101 (a msg to providers)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"marketing" 101 (a msg to providers)

SirFoxySirFoxy Member
edited August 2021 in Tutorials

as some of you know, I'm not really an IT guy.

i'm a copywriter. some would define me as a "salesman" in print, others a marketer, but i'm a copywriter. i've written webinars that have done $50,000 in an hour. i've written evergreen autoresponders that have generated upwards of $300,000.

generally speaking hosts have zero clue on how to sell, so rather than making a tutorial about how to secure your KVM, i'm making a tutorial on how to sell.

let's dive in:

1) you're a human, your customers are humans.

at the end of the day, when you communicate you need to communicate as a human, not a business. you need to show emotion.

people like @seriesn do this well.

2) create a cult.

people believe in you & your cause. people meme @dustinc for good reason, because he's created a cult like following.

it doesn't matter he had an exit scam in the past, people have totally forgot about it because of his cult-like following. he also saves face a lot, and I think he'd do better if he showed more humanistic characteristics rather than being overly professional.

which leads me to my next point...

3) create a spectacle.

thus brings @cociu -- he's overly humanistic, that's why people wish him doing well, they've bonded with him. it's the trump effect, controversy brings eyes and if you've ever heard "all publicity is good publicity" -- it's somewhat true.

you'll attract people who don't like you, but you'll also bring people who do like you and will buy your services.

4) create a USP.

with good copy, good marketing, good sales, you don't need to race to the bottom of the barrel.

let's look at OVH for example, relatively budget service but provides some of the best DDoS protection for the price, that's a USP.

alternatively, you don't even necessarily need a USP @seriesn provides a sense of humanity and people bond with him and will buy his services even though he's ultimately a reseller.

5) social status, testimonials.

here brings @Francisco -- he runs a solid service, not too cheap not too expensive. not a great service, but not bad. down time every now and then, but he has social status and testimonials.

usually he doesn't get emotional and let's his service talk for itself, he's been around long enough to acquire the social status and testimonials to let his service talk for itself.

once you build your name and brand up to a certain point you don't have to do as much, people already have a feel for your character.

of course he has value adds, such as directadmin, blesta, etc, but at the end of the day people buy from buyvm not for the best service, but because he has social status and testimonials, and ultimately you know he'll be around.

6) LET is not the best source for sales, it's the best source for eyes.

you shouldn't rely on any platform for sales, you should solely rely on it for publicity.

only rely on what you can control. SEO is somewhat valuable, but Google could slap you down at anytime and fuck bing.

build an email list. get eyes on your offers, get emails. you'll own that email list forever.

7) loss leaders AKA trip wires.

in the marketing game, loss leaders are referred to as trip wires.

that $0.01 for the first year shared hosting offer with a renewal of $47 will do you wonders.

this contradicts my previous point of racing to the bottom, but the point isn't to price your services low, it's to introduce people skeptical of your service with as little resistance as possible.

set the introduction low, but let them blatantly know it will renew at X amount. for cold audiences this will work wonders, particularly if you have an upsell.

if you can master this you can expand outside of LET and actually run paid advertising.

and that's an end to this for now, I could go on, but this covers a decent amount of bases.

yours truly,

the reject sirfoxy.

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Hey, thank you!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @ericls said:
    Hey, thank you!

I rarely post shit like this I'd rather play dumb & shit post, but no problem ❤️ I hope it was of value.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:
    I rarely post shit like this I'd rather play dumb & shit post, but no problem ❤️ I hope it was of value.

Shit is what we all produce constantly, but the greatest of mankind are usually known for other kind of achievements. Like for producing serious shit - as your post above.

It's hard to comment on your writing because of fear not to spoil impression of this masterpiece and being shocked by the amount of accurate insights at the same time..

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • if you're going to go the being humanistic way try to do it without being too false

i like seriesn's ads because they feature precisely the type of outdated meme that your coworker who is a dad of several kids and a generation or more older would make, and they put their effort into it even though it might be old and cringy it kind of rolls over into you just going 'aww'

then you look at the burger king twitter and it's clearly the latest memes but it's so horrendously crap to look at because it's just them replacing the main character from every meme with a burger and nothing else while the entire reply section consists of being mocked for paying workers below living wage

Thanked by 2SirFoxy seriesn
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Please make more of these
    Btw can I have ur job?

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @vero said:

@SirFoxy said:

Shit is what we all produce constantly, but the greatest of mankind are usually known for other kind of achievements. Like for producing serious shit - as your post above.

It's hard to comment on your writing because of fear not to spoil impression of this masterpiece and being shocked by the amount of accurate insights at the same time..

i'm blushing. thank you.

• @aiden1 said:
    if you're going to go the being humanistic way try to do it without being too false

i like seriesn's ads because they feature precisely the type of outdated meme that your coworker who is a dad of several kids and a generation or more older would make, and they put their effort into it even though it might be old and cringy it kind of rolls over into you just going 'aww'

then you look at the burger king twitter and it's clearly the latest memes but it's so horrendously crap to look at because it's just them replacing the main character from every meme with a burger and nothing else while the entire reply section consists of being mocked for paying workers below living wage

from a nigh sect to a nigh sect:

yessir, on a humanistic stand point he produces advertising that makes you cringe, but you build a relationship on the tip that he's trying to be "one of the fellow kids", it could be better for his target audience but he does the job, as the market here isn't very saturated on that tip.

tho, fuck burger king twitter it's wendys twitter 4L.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @skorupion said:
    Please make more of these
    Btw can I have ur job?

haha, maybe.

you can't have my job, but you can surely become a copywriter with trial and error.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@SirFoxy said:
    ... @seriesn ... he's ultimately a reseller.

Huh?

• @jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

doesn't own his own gear afaik

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • @SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

It's a healthy Mix ;)

I love you though :kissing_heart:

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2021

@seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

It's a healthy Mix ;)

understood, but yessir, no disrespect, i was bigging you up.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

Hmmm, OK, but even if that were (completely) true, that doesn't make him a reseller. It would be almost like a provider who "owns" his leased equipment.

For me a reseller is someone who just sells existing products from someone else. NexusBytes is much more than just an additional shop front for someone else.

• @jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

Hmmm, OK, but even if that were (completely) true, that doesn't make him a reseller. It would be almost like a provider who "owns" his leased equipment.

For me a reseller is someone who just sells existing products from someone else. NexusBytes is much more than just an additional shop front for someone else.

Gotcha. Yeah, for me anyone who doesn't own their gear is a reseller but it's a catch 22.

Regardless this post isn't really about that love u tho @jsg

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @SirFoxy said:

@seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

It's a healthy Mix ;)

I know baby cake <3 :kissing_heart:

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Copywriter that hasn't met a capital letter? I call shenanigans. I see poor punctuation as "Mickey Mouse" level of fail.

I am curious who pays for webinars, though.

Thanked by 2BlaZe AlwaysSkint
  • @TimboJones said:
    Copywriter that hasn't met a capital letter? I call shenanigans. I see poor punctuation as "Mickey Mouse" level of fail.

it's about the message not the grammar, spoken truly like every sideline watcher though.

of course i could speak proper grammar.

• @seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

@seriesn said:

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Huh?

It's a healthy Mix ;)

I know baby cake <3 :kissing_heart:

🍆🍆❤️

• @SirFoxy said:

@TimboJones said:
    Copywriter that hasn't met a capital letter? I call shenanigans. I see poor punctuation as "Mickey Mouse" level of fail.

it's about the message not the grammar, spoken truly like every sideline watcher though.

No, it looks unprofessional. Do you need to be paid to use proper punctuation?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

@TimboJones said:

No, it looks unprofessional. Do you need to be paid to use proper punctuation?

have you ever seen me be professional?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: I am curious who pays for webinars, though.

People who sell things through webinars. People don't buy $9.95 books through webinars but they do sign up for $2,000 classes through webinars. It's the 2021 version of the hotel conference room sales seminar (er, "absolutely free information session").

• @raindog308 said:

People who sell things through webinars. People don't buy $9.95 books through webinars but they do sign up for $2,000 classes through webinars. It's the 2021 version of the hotel conference room sales seminar (er, "absolutely free information session").

precisely. LET culture hates money, but there's plenty of money to be made through the right avenues... the correct way.

• sounds like unicorn

or captain planet

• @SirFoxy said:

@ericls said:
    Hey, thank you!

Great post dude! informative and entertaining :smile:

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said:

@raindog308 said:

precisely. LET culture hates money, but there's plenty of money to be made through the right avenues... the correct way.

Indeed. Thats why I enjoy going to conferences when they were a thing. You get to meet people from all around but also it helps get your name out.
    For those that has gone to the last couple cPanel conferences know who I am if only known as the Alien dude. I made my mark. :)

As @SirFoxy has said. Be humble and treat clients as clients. Not as a customer. People talk way faster about your service rather than some AD or promotion. Put up a good service and be nice!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Indeed. Thats why I enjoy going to conferences when they were a thing. You get to meet people from all around but also it helps get your name out.

No, I didn't mean legit conferences (which are fun) but rather cheesy sales pitches.

For example, you get a flyer that promises a conference on home business opportunities or ways to vacation in the Bahamas for next to nothing or how to make millions in the stock market. Come to the presentation and you'll get lunch and the opportunity to network with your peers, etc.

When you show up at the Holiday Inn, you're met with a high-pressure sales pitch, bologna sandwiches, and your peers are broke unemployed losers.

Or another classic if you've ever been to Vegas is the "listen to our time share vacation presentation and tickets to a free Las Vegas show!" What happens is you show up expecting a 20-minute slide show and instead they drive you out in the desert and subject you to 4-5 hours of hammering sales, and if you refuse to fork ovdr $10-20K you get a voucher to pick up tickets to a show...for the night after you fly back to your home.

Anyway, there are legit webinars - I attend them all the time as sales presentations for work. And have attended some in private life that were legit for everything from home repair to educational opportunities. But there are also sketchy ones where the come-on is a chance to win an Amazon gift certificate and it's a one-hour odyssey of promises, threats, fears, and dream-planting ending in a call to put in your credit card number.

• @SirFoxy said:

touché

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@SirFoxy said:

touché

douché

• coldcold Member

AWESOME POST ! some should TAG all providers, mostly the one who wanna make only profit and are customers unfriendly !

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @cold said:
    AWESOME POST ! some should TAG all providers, mostly the one who wanna make only profit and are customers unfriendly !

You might say these providers are... @cold