Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen 9 3900X vs Core i9 11900K
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ryzen 9 3900X vs Core i9 11900K

ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

As per benchmarks 3900X has better multi core performance and i9 11900K has better single core performance.

Think yourself as a client, not a provider. Which one would benefit you the most and which one you will go with for your VPS?

Speculations are welcome. :)

Comments

• Which benchmark software?

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@chocolateshirt said:
    Which benchmark software?

I looked into userbenchmark, nanoreview, cpubenchmark and cpu monkey.

Haven't had a chance to do it myself yet.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

Not sure if this directly answers your question, but in my opinion:

If the VPS has a dedicated core (or at least a dedicated thread), the single-core performance is more important, especially if the provider can configure the CPU affinity such that my VPS is always running on the same physical core, as that greatly reduces the amount of context switching the CPU needs to do. I've got a VPS with a dedicated thread with BuyVM, and the VPS only sees one vCore, so the faster the better.

If the VPS has a "fair usage"/shared vCore, then having a larger number of cores is more useful, even if the cores are slightly slower, as the server can execute more stuff in parallel, and thus the VPS is less likely to encounter "stolen" CPU time.

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep

Exactly, also look at the maximum RAM available for the specific platform and the core/RAM ratio (in this case both have a max of 128GB RAM, so it makes no difference).

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • Considering how inefficient the 11900k is I'd steer clear from it in server environment. Just my 2cents.

Thanked by 2Shakib adly
  • DrvDrv Member

5950x should be compared with that 11900k
    i'd go with intel in any scenario.

Thanked by 1Shakib

@tomazu, More RAM will cost more, the provider gets to sell more VPS from the server. It would benefit the provider the most i guess, but wouldn't go well with @Daniel15 dedicated core/thread scenario.

@serv_ee, Inefficient, more watts usage shouldn't be something a client should worry about i guess. It's something a provider would consider as more power usage will cost more.

Looking forward to more comments, Think yourself as a client, not a provider.

Thanked by 1drunkendog
  • Intel

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • @Shakib said:
    @tomazu, More RAM will cost more, the provider gets to sell more VPS from the server. It would benefit the provider the most i guess, but wouldn't go well with @Daniel15 dedicated core/thread scenario.

@serv_ee, Inefficient, more watts usage shouldn't be something a client should worry about i guess. It's something a provider would consider as more power usage will cost more.

Looking forward to more comments, Think yourself as a client, not a provider.

Yeah I missed the "client pov" part. My bad.

But provider pov, power isn't the only thing. Heat is as well.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • nvmenvme Member

Ryzen 3900X is slightly outdated (Still very powerful!) and I don't think its fair to compare it with Intel 11900K. That one by Intel is fastest processor currently and was launched ~3 months back.

If you compare Ryzen 5900X with Intel 11900K, then 5900X offers better single and multi core performance. And both of these processors boast the same price tag.

Moreover, both the Ryzen processors support ECC memory, which is missing in Intel, and have higher cache size than Intel. Also, Ryzens are using 7nm arch and Intel ones are still on the 14nm, which is probably why they are able to package higher number of cores.

Since 5900X and 11900K have same pricing, Ryzen does provide best price to performance ratio.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 Shakib

@nvme, i only have option to select between 3900X and i9 11900K.

Many top providers on LET using 3900X as well. I don't think I can compete them with 3900X.

If it's 3900X vs i9 11900K, which one would you choose?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2021

@Shakib said: i only have option to select between 3900X and i9 11900K.

Why?

I think some of the top providers use 3900x because they built their servers before the 5900x was released. The 3900x is still new enough and relevant enough to still be useful, but for a new build I'd go with a 5900x...There's not really any advantage over the older generation and AFAIK they cost around the same as the new generation.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • nvmenvme Member

@Shakib said:
    @nvme, i only have option to select between 3900X and i9 11900K.

Many top providers on LET using 3900X as well. I don't think I can compete them with 3900X.

If it's 3900X vs i9 11900K, which one would you choose?

Oh okay. I'd say 3900X for more number of cores + ECC support.
    There will be more cores available per VPS. And these cores are shared and most providers have strict CPU usage policy. Even if you offer dedicated vCores/ Cores, the performance difference will be negligible.> @Daniel15 said:

Why?

I think some of the top providers use 3900x because they built their servers before the 5900x was released. The 3900x is still new enough and relevant enough to still be useful, but for a new build I'd go with a 5900x.

This.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@Daniel15 said:

Why?

I think some of the top providers use 3900x because they built their servers before the 5900x was released. The 3900x is still new enough and relevant enough to still be useful, but for a new build I'd go with a 5900x...There's not really any advantage over the older generation and AFAIK they cost around the same as the new generation.

To continue, I could've purchased a lot of 5900x's for my new Extreme lineup, but due to the fact CentOS still having Kernel issues on the new chip, I decided to go 3900x til all issues are fixed.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • @Shakib said:
    Think yourself as a client, not a provider.

Ryzen 3900X
    Cause ECC

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@aqua said:

@Daniel15 said:

Why?

To continue, I could've purchased a lot of 5900x's for my new Extreme lineup, but due to the fact CentOS still having Kernel issues on the new chip, I decided to go 3900x til all issues are fixed.

I don't think CentOS will ever fix their kernel issues, it's basically EOL already.

Thanked by 1Shakib