Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicatserver.ro aka Astimp IT Solution SRL silently logging into the customer server - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicatserver.ro aka Astimp IT Solution SRL silently logging into the customer server

Comments

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@dedicatserver_ro said:

@NobodyInteresting said: and stick to the drama at hand

which was ....???

@Andreix said: @others... Let the man follow his dreams... if you do not like him and/or his company, don't buy.There are plenty of reputable companies in Romania where you can host stuff, even older than his company.Not cheap? Maybe, but secure and professional at least.

Andreix does not understand sarcasm

Many apologies. I'll feel bad 11 minutes.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2021

@Andreix said: Many apologies.

• no problem we will try again at the next offer, because offer thread now was set to sink
  • @Maounique said:
    You really don't get it?
    I doubt that. A proof is:
    1. Ticket showing the concern has been raised with the host and the opportunity has been given to investigate;
    2. Host showing him logs from the server showing his ToS/AUP breaching or illegal antics or admitting they did that and for what reason.

Umm, neither of that is proof the OP can provide. Like, seriously. First, there's no "proof" involved, just starting an investigation. Second, showing the terms allowing it is not contradictory to the OP report of access without his permission.

Come on, I expect better from you. This is a tiny company, not one with thousands of employees to track down worldwide. It's literally call out to the people in the office and having a conclusive response in minutes.

As the admin said, they received the "proof" and it has been inconclusive.

It's unfortunate that both real proof and fake proof would look the same. It would be a shame if the next time you called someone out and you showed your proof only for everyone to say you faked it. Not could have faked it, but actually faked it. Think about that.

In case of Prometeus he did not even provide "proof" to the admins, yet he has been allowed to follow me in every thread and make empty accusations. So, it is slander and it is allowed/encouraged because admins were mocking me when flagging the slanderous posts let alone taking any action to even pretend they were upholding the rules.

Where does "Prometeus" enter the conversation? Again, you can't let this go and you keep bringing it up over and over. See a therapist about this, eh?

• Yay! The word slander was used. The juridical term that has been used whenever someone wrote something dissatisfying for the other.

I don’t know if you ever have seen cases in The Netherlands about slander (I did, I am a certified journalist and read the news more carefully), but in our country not many slander cases succeed. The last case that I know about slander and even group offense was that of Geert Wilders. And though I am by no means a Wilders fan, I do believe the political system has interfered (there are even memo’s of them).

Anyway, what I try to say: slander cases are not succeeding very often. Maybe in America, but not that I know of in the EU. I know in Romania the last attempt to enforce the slander law was done by a man called Liviu Dragnea. When he got a lot of trash talk on him, he came up with a defamation law. Many people called him corrupt. And then the judge agreed he is corrupt, after losing his DSPAC case from anti corruption organisation DNA (the whole case was researched by a great woman called Laura Kodruta Covesi, look her up. She is the headache over every corrupt politician). DNA didn’t lose, Dragnea wasn’t defamed or slandered. Yes, he is free. Not because he was judged mistakenly, he just sat out 2/3 of his sentence.

Especially in Romania slander cases are not very succesful. And the Romanian juridical system is VERY overloaded with all these politicians that sue each other for every small comment. I wish @dedicatserver_ro good luck if he wants to sue @alexvolk. Sounds like a waste of money and time to me. Especially in Romania.

So stop the talk about juridical terms, unless you are ready to discuss it and go to a judge. People use terms all the time to frighten the other. I have had customers too who told me I slandered them after I opened a topic, explaining my story. He DID NOT PAY A SINGLE INVOICE! He misused the name of his 16-year old son so he would go away with it. It was a B2B deal and no, we don’t ID everyone. ToS states by Dutch law, parents are responsible for actions of their minors.

Yes, I got the famous slander call. Yes, he threatened to go to court with me. Yes, he falsified his own signature when I signed a contract he would pay the debt. Nothing. Ever. Happened. So if you don’t have the intention to go to court, why talk about jurisdiction?!.

My experience with @dedicatserver_ro was not great either. I needed a custom ISO, because they had only Debian 9, not Debian 10. Guess what? They asked me to give MY PASSWORD for the VPS. And then they sent a confirmation with my password IN PLAIN TEXT. In an email! That’s not safe. For example: an other provider gave me acces to a panel (Fleio) to set an SSH key I generated. They never saw anything. I am happy to tell them what is running on that server. Just Nginx. :-))

I ordered my servers at 2 November 2020. I cancelled them 26 days later. The network was not great, their own portal was unreachable many times and this whole OpenNebula thing was a mess. I was not happy about it and looked for an other provider. Yes, in the cancellation reason I stated why I cancelled.

For example: port 80 (the most common port in the world) was blocked by their upstream provider InterLAN.

One of my friends had DDoShost and it was the same bad quality. His VPS crashed and he got a notification from the system afterwards:
    -bash: .: /home//.bashrc: cannot execute binary file

And so he cancelled it aswell. To be fair, we both were bot satisfied with the quality. This is my honest review. Whether Gabriel or Alex is right, I don’t know. I am not a judge. But as for quality, the VPS’es are not great. I praise them for their support at the middle of the night, but that doesn’t help if your VM is down for 6 or 8 hours.

And no, that’s no slander. That’s actual customer experience.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Dodgy and unprofessional, double whammy.

Thanked by 2pedagang malignify
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Where does "Prometeus" enter the conversation? Again, you can't let this go and you keep bringing it up over and over. See a therapist about this, eh?

He brought it up, if you read you would have seen some quotes from master Alex.

edited July 2021

@DennisdeWit , indeed written by a journalist ( 80% from what you have written is für USR+ , party members not LET members.. ;) :D )
    I remember your case and I think you can confirm that you were treated with respect.

last year we have work on Old Openebula without automatic install...no WHMCS module...etc .

2 x VPS : 02.11.2020 - 01.01.2021 - you have open two tickets :
    First on the first day

• Hi Alex,
      Yes. CentOS 7 on both machines would be perfect!

Ending with

• Dear Alex,
      Thanks for your excellent work. Both servers are fine and fast.

Second after more than a month
    You have reported a network issue , only of one server at 17.24 you were answered on 17.39 which was resolved by 23.19 on the same day 11 dec 2020.

I can confirm without sarcasm that (Fleio - Openstack ) is a good company that I respect.
    Therefore, stay with this company and don't give your opinion on what you don't know ... put politics aside.

1A+ , i appreciate ;)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@dedicatserver_ro said:
    First on the first day

• Hi Alex,

Ending with

• Dear Alex,

Why don't you publish his address and banking data, too?

@all

WARNING - There is NO PRIVACY with dedicatserver_ro. None at all.

@jsg said: WARNING - There is NO PRIVACY with dedicatserver_ro. None at all.

• open a new post ;)
  • @dedicatserver_ro said:

@jsg said: WARNING - There is NO PRIVACY with dedicatserver_ro. None at all.

• open a new post ;)

I think that's unnecessary as it looks like this thread will continue to exist as long as you are here so feel free to use this thread wisely ;)

Thanked by 1dedicatserver_ro
    edited July 2021

@malignify said: feel free to use this thread wisely

• Thanks! I will do so :)
  • @dedicatserver_ro I never said I was treated without respect. Yes, I was happy you installed it for me. No, I still don’t think providing passwords per mail are the safest option to share info. For example, I have a secure area for my customers when they share sensitive data.

I am not a USR+ propaganda machine. But I know, for those who vote corrupt politicians my opinion can be hard. I am in this Romanian material for 8 years now, so I know what I am talking about.

Nevertheless, I wish you the best. Feel free to sue @alexvolk if that is what you wish to do. You can also sue LowEndTalk for not removing the topic. Then you would have to deal with multiple countries and multiple jurisdiction. I think letting it go is much cheaper than blowing 10.000 euro’s on juridical steps. Again, I would choose wisely what do to with your money. :)

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Maounique said:

@SirFoxy said: Jsg, you know I love you but the provider himself admitted he logs in to users servers in this post:

Yes, but:
    1. It was not in OP's server (or maybe it was, we can't know without any evidence);
    2. We do not know it was unjustified.

I have been asked by people to help solve intrusion issues. If that is taking me less than half an hour or if they agree to pay, I do that for unmanaged services.
    Suspension can occur and the server owner contests his server launched the attacks and we agree to look together into it and see how it has been compromised.
    Without a ticket number or a name we cannot know what happened, i.e. there is no evidence, let alone conclusive evidence.

It is never justified to login to a customer's server, only if a court order forces you to do it, it is acceptable.
    There are other methods to detect abuse.

• flawsomeflawsome Member
    edited July 2021

@tr1cky said: It is never justified to login to a customer's server, only if a court order forces you to do it, it is acceptable.
    There are other methods to detect abuse.

Maybe abuse was detected and that's why the provider accessed the server? We don't know that since the customer is reluctant to share more details on this due to personal safety reasons and the provider has no concrete evidence of this happening in his environment since he can't check to verify without the relevant details. I believe every provider would require this to investigate the same.

If only the customer had shared details of the account or his VPS's IP with the provider, this whole incident could have been less dramatic and be addressed appropriately.

edited July 2021

@DennisdeWit

• you're nice :) , still USR+ o:)

@flawsome

• do not enter into this debate, no one will understand what you are talking about and you will be attacked
  • vedranvedran Veteran

@flawsome said:

Maybe abuse was detected and that's why the provider accessed the server? We don't know that since the customer is reluctant to share more details on this due to personal safety reasons and the provider has no concrete evidence of this happening in his environment since he can't check to verify without the relevant details. I believe every provider would require this to investigate the same.

If he has no relevant evidence then there is a chance he's wrong and he won't find any. What happens then?

If he's 100% sure there is abuse without accessing the server then he'd have enough evidence and he wouldn't need to access the server in the first place.

• @vedran said: If he has no relevant evidence then there is a chance he's wrong and he won't find any. What happens then?

If he's 100% sure there is abuse without accessing the server then he'd have enough evidence and he wouldn't need to access the server in the first place.

Generally speaking, whether a provider needs to or not all depends on the provider based on what went down that day. There could have been reports or indications of abuse where in that case the provider's free to do whatever he wants to investigate. It's his environment after all.

It's just not right to put this all on the provider or any other provider, given that he has no chance to look into the matter to clarify the situation because nothing has been provided to him.

If you rent out your apartment to tenants, as the owner you would have your set of keys and the tenants will be given theirs. One day the tenant randomly decides to view the CCTV footage of the apartment. While viewing the footage they realize someone had entered their apartment through the door but all they can see is a silhouette, due to the poor quality of the recording.

Now they don't know exactly who it is but they go to the cops saying that you the owner had broke into their apartment, just because you have your set of keys so you're the primary suspect. Without additional evidence or proof, like other CCTV footages from the lift or corridor, the cops can't do much about it. They can only call you in for interrogation but then you'll be free to go once all that's done.

The point is, you can suspect it's the owner but that doesn't mean you also can go around telling people that the owner of your apartment broke into your apartment when it hasn't been rightfully proven.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • xaocxaoc Member

@flawsome the dewd could have denied it, instead, they went on bragging about their other break'ins. ;)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @xaoc said:
    @flawsome the dewd could have denied it, instead, they went on bragging about their other break'ins. ;)

I agree but those seemed to be justified, because of abuse.

I think he's not denying here because he may have did it, in an attempt to deal with several abusive nodes but he's not able to identify which this particular customer's node is without having details of it.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@jsg said:

@dedicatserver_ro said:
    First on the first day

• Hi Alex,

Ending with

• Dear Alex,

Why don't you publish his address and banking data, too?

@all

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2021

@tr1cky said: It is never justified to login to a customer's server, only if a court order forces you to do it, it is acceptable.

Wrong.
    I have listed of few acceptable cases, but I will put them up again for the TL;DR people.
    1. Customer asks for help after abuse is detected or for any other reason. While we offer unmanaged services, we can help for a fee or even free if not much work is needed;
    2. Customer denies any wrongdoing and demands some proof either immediately or after he thinks the server has been deleted and charges back. At that point we take the saved disk image (standard procedure for some kinds of abuse, we keep for a while in case police or customer demand some proof or if they want some data back) and take the proof/data from there. Granted, technically it is not logging into the server as there is no server per se, at least not running, but it is equivalent.

I do not say the customer is up to no good, we notify them about the suspension and tell them there is a chance it has been compromised. The customer reply dictates the course of action from there.
    1. Denial. We ask for permission to give the proof.
    2. Denial and chargeback. We take the proof to fight the case as chargeback means the contract is void and he is no longer the owner of the data.
    3. Denial and ask for help. We ask for permission and help as much as we can for free or serious work if needed (forensics, data restoration if possible, data salvaging at least) for a fee.
    If the customer accepts the blame but argues he should be allowed to spam, for example, because the laws of his country allow that, or that DMCA is an american law so he should be allowed to do IP infringement, etc, we point to the ToS/AUP and that is it, but if he requests the data, we can help with that as long as permission is given, even as we will not restore the service.

• NOBODY:

@Maounique :
    "This one time at BandCamp Prometeus........"

• defaultdefault Veteran

edited July 2021

@all

Dedicatserver.ro silently logging into the customer server

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@all

thanks for the heads up.

;)

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@notarobo said:

@dedicatserver_ro said:

@all

thanks for the heads up.

In future, people can reference this additional acknowledgement/confession by the provider itself.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2021

@DP said:

@notarobo said:

@dedicatserver_ro said:

@all

thanks for the heads up.

In future, people can reference this additional acknowledgement/confession by the provider itself.

It's official, no proof required. :|
    With this thread, the end is..

@AlwaysSkint said: the end is..

@AlwaysSkint said: the end is..