Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap dedicated servers, does location matter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap dedicated servers, does location matter?

Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Just looking to get thoughts regarding if a server is really cheap within the US if the location matters.

With our company which has built its services in a large city, Dallas, TX I have no experience with other less known locations. I know hosts such as Decentec are in a less known city and do well.

When you find an amazing deal on a server, does the location matter for you if it's in the US?
Such as 5 hours outside of a major hub.

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

depends what you are using it for i suppose

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

I always just check ping with test IP. If Los Angeles, Seattle and New York pings are not higher than 60ms then I don't care.

Dallas is okay, but ping to Seattle can be a little big high so I prefer something more north. I don't setup many US servers (maybe 3 times this year) tho so I don't have experience which location would be the best.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • imokimok Member
    edited July 2021

For my Latin America connection purposes... Dallas is the best. Actually Miami is the best but it's more expensive.

I used to buy in other locations only when an amazing deal appeared.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • xiblxibl Member

Location matters huge ! of course it does

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited July 2021

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: Decentec

Are you scared of competition? Dacentec is the correct company name

--
    Removed.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I'm livin' la vida low-end loca.

If it's cheap for idle standards, I won't care where it is in the US.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Depends on the price ;)

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • Depend how cheap is cheap.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2021

@alexvolk said:

Are you scared of competition? Dacentec is the correct company name.

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: does the location matter for you

Matters if the server will be available like in your Flagship Owned & Operated Facility:

> Resolved: The fiber was repaired at 12:39am PST, for a total of 12 hours and 11 minutes of downtime.
    > 
    > Update: "4:07 PM - Our contractor is out gathering materials to replace a section of 144 fiber from PF-AS50A to a new added splice case on the West side of Meyer Rd. Contractors will be back onsite at 6:30 PM to start our work." - Latest update from one of our fiber providers
    > 
    > Update: The issue has been identified as a boom truck that left its boom up and took down several spans of power and fiber. The crews are currently standing by waiting for power to be repaired before they are going to be allowed to begin repairs. We are currently hoping that this should be restored by 10PM PST. We will update again when repairs begin.
    > 
    > Identified: There is fiber damage between our Coeur d'Alene, ID facility and Liberty Lake, WA where we pick up our internet services. Repair crews are en-route, no ETR currently.
    > 
    > 

Are you really mocking about Dacentec vs. Decentec while being unable to distinguish between Ionswitch and Dot-Tech?

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

I think it really depends on the usage of the server. These days for a lot of applications it doesn't matter so much the latency for some tasks. Others want a low ping or solid connection.

Everyone has a different cheap in their heads. We personally stopped targeting super cheap and offer a solid service put the money into our networking equipment. Just got tired of the race to the bottom.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@alexvolk said:

Are you scared of competition? Dacentec is the correct company name.

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: does the location matter for you

Matters if the server will be available like in your Flagship Owned & Operated Facility:

> Resolved: The fiber was repaired at 12:39am PST, for a total of 12 hours and 11 minutes of downtime.
    > 
    > Update: "4:07 PM - Our contractor is out gathering materials to replace a section of 144 fiber from PF-AS50A to a new added splice case on the West side of Meyer Rd. Contractors will be back onsite at 6:30 PM to start our work." - Latest update from one of our fiber providers
    > 
    > Update: The issue has been identified as a boom truck that left its boom up and took down several spans of power and fiber. The crews are currently standing by waiting for power to be repaired before they are going to be allowed to begin repairs. We are currently hoping that this should be restored by 10PM PST. We will update again when repairs begin.
    > 
    > Identified: There is fiber damage between our Coeur d'Alene, ID facility and Liberty Lake, WA where we pick up our internet services. Repair crews are en-route, no ETR currently.
    > 
    > 

We own no facility, our hosting is based out of Carrier-1's facility in Dallas, TX.
    We are also not ionswitch.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @brueggus said:
    Are you really mocking about Dacentec vs. Decentec while being unable to distinguish between Ionswitch and Dot-Tech?

@Ian_Dot_Tech said: We own no facility, our hosting is based out of Carrier-1's facility in Dallas, TX.
    We are also not ionswitch

Apologies, my mistake.

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech