Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent IP-KVM in 2021
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent IP-KVM in 2021

AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Potentially looking for a new KVM solution which include iKVM/HTML5 and ability to mount virtual media through it.

I know there are Lamptronix Spiders out there as the obvious option but just wondering what people have used recently, what issues they've had with that and whether or not you'd recommend it?

Multiple outputs would be nice as it'd be shared colo rack serving different end users but ultimately switching to on-demand KVM with remote hands moving the KVM to a new server as and when required doesn't matter in the long run if the KVMs are better.

Comments

• TejyTejy Member

PiKVM + HDMI switch, the cheapest option.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

Raritan or Adderlink both have good options. HTML5 console or VNC.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@AllHost_Ben said:
    Potentially looking for a new KVM solution which include iKVM/HTML5 and ability to mount virtual media through it.

I know there are Lamptronix Spiders out there as the obvious option but just wondering what people have used recently, what issues they've had with that and whether or not you'd recommend it?

Multiple outputs would be nice as it'd be shared colo rack serving different end users but ultimately switching to on-demand KVM with remote hands moving the KVM to a new server as and when required doesn't matter in the long run if the KVMs are better.

I like my Spider. Got them off ebay for cheap.
    But most new servers have built in IPMI and you can tie to LDAP (AD) or create local users.
    Then just create either a VPN tunnel to that server for a client.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Thanks, some good suggestions to look at here. Unfortunately it is for shared co-lo so customers could be sending old equipment that doesn't have IPMI/BMC etc.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

We use Vertiv Avocent MPU KVM Switch 32 Port 4 Digital MPU4032DAC-G01
    in Dallas, overall its a good KVM (it occasionally crashes and needs rebooted)

I also use Spider KVM's but I find this one to be a bit more reliable.

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

We also use the spider if needed.