Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Would you find an offer listings site useful?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Would you find an offer listings site useful?

Lets say that I were to make a website which had a listing of all the offers listed by a given set of providers is that something which would be useful?

Medium term make it a progressive web app, and also possibly offer API access for a fee.

I noticed that there are a few of these sites knocking around, is there use for another?

«13

Comments

  • databossdataboss Member

    What is your unique selling proposition for the user? Why should they use your site compared to other? And why should they pay to use an API? What is the concrete benefit?

    The classic line from a provider on LET - "Nothing has been shady about my service, only me." and from a user - "...in my opinion he could have thrown a image of shit on the main website and I would still buy"

  • 1) The reason I came up with the idea in the first place was because I thought the way the offers were displayed on the forum could be improved upon.
    2) I wanted to be able to do a side by side comparison.
    3) I wanted to be able to search by features.
    4) If I am going to put in the work of creating an API for offer listings I have to have at least the possibility to be able to recoup the cost of doing it.

    What do you think?

  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator

    You're about the 5,000th person to have this idea.

    I don't think these sites are popular with providers. If you put all offers in a big spreadsheet/database, people will sort it by price and it'll be a race to the bottom. Providers have no chance to highlight other things that are unique to them, tell their story, etc.

    @trycatchthis said: I thought the way the offers were displayed on the forum could be improved upon.

    Suggestions?

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

    LowEndTalk attracts the finest members. - bear, WebHostingTalk

  • @raindog308 said:
    You're about the 5,000th person to have this idea.

    I don't think these sites are popular with providers. If you put all offers in a big spreadsheet/database, people will sort it by price and it'll be a race to the bottom. Providers have no chance to highlight other things that are unique to them, tell their story, etc.

    @trycatchthis said: I thought the way the offers were displayed on the forum could be improved upon.

    Suggestions?

    A table where we could sort by price maybe? =)

    Thanked by 2raindog308 yoursunny
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @trycatchthis said:

    @raindog308 said:
    You're about the 5,000th person to have this idea.

    I don't think these sites are popular with providers. If you put all offers in a big spreadsheet/database, people will sort it by price and it'll be a race to the bottom. Providers have no chance to highlight other things that are unique to them, tell their story, etc.

    @trycatchthis said: I thought the way the offers were displayed on the forum could be improved upon.

    Suggestions?

    A table where we could sort by price maybe? =)

    Serverhunter?

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1vyas11
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • From what I am aware of there are a few other sites besides LET. Given that information isn't there room for more than one server listing site?

  • alexvolkalexvolk Member

    @trycatchthis said: API access

    Any prior experience developing APIs?

    Sounds none.

    Here lies @alexvolk, the member that was questioning shady hosts. Looks like he is banned now? Enjoy it now, more scam - more entertainment! May we meet again!

  • Any prior experience developing APIs?

    Sounds none.

    Any other assumptions you wanna make?

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Provider

    DailyServerDeals I still think was the best implementation of this idea. I mean, I may be biased since it was my site, but just look at it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150301062215/http://www.dailyserverdeals.com:80/

    A new deal, every day, automatically posted 24 hours after the last one. Had a handy dandy search and all that.

    But LEB still won. :)

    [ IncogNet LLC ] [ CloudLinux Shared | KVM VPS ] [ No Personal Details Required, Crypto Accepted ]

    AMD Ryzen and NVMe powered KVM Servers in the Netherlands and Finland.

  • @MannDude said:
    DailyServerDeals I still think was the best implementation of this idea. I mean, I may be biased since it was my site, but just look at it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150301062215/http://www.dailyserverdeals.com:80/

    A new deal, every day, automatically posted 24 hours after the last one. Had a handy dandy search and all that.

    But LEB still won. :)

    This is not what I was thinking of. But curiously why did you can the project?

  • MannDudeMannDude Member, Provider

    @trycatchthis said:

    @MannDude said:
    DailyServerDeals I still think was the best implementation of this idea. I mean, I may be biased since it was my site, but just look at it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150301062215/http://www.dailyserverdeals.com:80/

    A new deal, every day, automatically posted 24 hours after the last one. Had a handy dandy search and all that.

    But LEB still won. :)

    This is not what I was thinking of. But curiously why did you can the project?

    Lack of interest and use.

    [ IncogNet LLC ] [ CloudLinux Shared | KVM VPS ] [ No Personal Details Required, Crypto Accepted ]

    AMD Ryzen and NVMe powered KVM Servers in the Netherlands and Finland.

  • Lack of interest and use.

    Fair enough.

    In my particular case I plan to use the code base that would go into such an endeavor on other projects.

    Why do you think this forum won out over yours and others?

  • @Francisco said: Serverhunter?

    Francisco

    it rarely keeps up to date with current offers it seems.

  • it rarely keeps up to date with current offers it seems.

    I have managed to scrape offers from a few providers so far. But a long term more viable solution may be to offer an API to providers.

    I have seen this happen with real estate listings.


    Also are you talking special one off $7/y offers that have no commission or regular offers on providers websites? It makes no sense scraping an offer that has no commission but the regular offers might work.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    @jugganuts said:

    @Francisco said: Serverhunter?

    Francisco

    it rarely keeps up to date with current offers it seems.

    I very much doubt that given the amount of molesting Woet does to peoples servers.

    Francisco

    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator

    @trycatchthis said: It makes no sense scraping an offer that has no commission

    This is the other problem...you will be tempted to prioritize those who pay the largest affiliate payment over those with the best deals, so your goals as the site owner are at odds with the goal of site readers.

    For LET support, please visit the support desk.

    LowEndTalk attracts the finest members. - bear, WebHostingTalk

  • This is the other problem...you will be tempted to prioritize those who pay the largest affiliate payment over those with the best deals, so your goals as the site owner are at odds with the goal of site readers.

    If eyeballs and site interest have some kind of monetizeable value then scraping offers that don't have a commission might have value.

  • databossdataboss Member
    edited July 14

    So its a site to maximize your monetization - not to maximize user choice and quality of offers. Hence the trouble is, figuring out a way to align your needs to maximize monetization with the users need for maximum quality (at any price point 0 ie low cost may not have the same quality as high cost, but within group of low cost their are standouts). The highest quality sites may not actually even be in the highest quartile for monetization and have a very low sell through rate.

    So, I guess my point is - if you accept it for what it will become - maximize your cash, I don't know the viability compared to maximizing user benefit with a low ROI to you

    The classic line from a provider on LET - "Nothing has been shady about my service, only me." and from a user - "...in my opinion he could have thrown a image of shit on the main website and I would still buy"

  • So, I guess my point is - if you accept it for what it will become - maximize your cash, I don't know the viability compared to maximizing user benefit with a low ROI to you

    Trying to monetize a project is putting the consumer first.
    If you can't generate any revenue how can you put resources into making the service better?

    As I said though even if it fails code will be used for other projects.

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    In the low end market, you never put your customers first

    because, most of time, they end up becoming your enemies.

    Thanked by 1vyas11

    If you wish to join Nigh sect, adopt my avatar as your own and believe in the end.

  • In the low end market, you never put your customers first
    because, most of time, they end up becoming your enemies.

    This is sad.

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Perhaps, but that is the way of lowend lives.

    Just browse past topics or simply stay here long enough. You will see hosts fighting tooth and nail against his customers to keep afloat.

    If you wish to join Nigh sect, adopt my avatar as your own and believe in the end.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited July 14

    Well, everyone can create a comparison site.
    Issue is data, to keep that shit up to date.

    You surely won't do this by hand.
    So, you say automate it.

    Sounds easy, you say.
    Then you figure, 80% of the hosts here, use the same shitty billing software.

    10% of them use their own
    10% of them have an decent api.

    Which you need to create an account, get an api key, integrate this shit.
    Depending on what, XML can be a pain in the arse.

    What about the rest? 90%?
    But wait 80% of them use the same shit, should be easy yes?

    Fuck no, these are humans, they write the stuff as they desire.
    Means the description is fucked in any possible way.

    Maybe it does not even have any description, kek.
    So, you say, fuck this, we just scrap each website differently.

    Yea hella, you have to create an integration, for every fucking possible website.
    Fuck no.

    I did this for a while, its painful.
    But some providers, are willing to integrate into your API?

    hahahahaahahaha maybe 10%.
    Keep in mind, most of the providers here have no coding skills.

    So you say, lets offer a WHCMS plugin, hahahahahahahaha
    Are you sure you wanna touch that shit? hell no.

    NanoKVM | Free NAT KVM | Apply here

  • Are you sure you wanna touch that shit? hell no.

    I have automated the scraping process for a few hosts. Over time will add more.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited July 14

    @trycatchthis said:

    Are you sure you wanna touch that shit? hell no.

    I have automated the scraping process for a few hosts. Over time will add more.

    Well okay.

    Providers update there websites, obviously without letting you know.
    So you have to fix your shit on regular basis, some times even every week.

    They happen to block your crawlers, could be an accident or just they don't want to get listed.
    So you have to detect and circumvent that automatically.

    Plus, most of the providers are behind cloudflare, which is fun if you let your bots scrap multiple websites, recently cloudflare got pretty good in detecting bots, so stuff is getting more and more complicated.

    TLDR: Pain in the arse for that result.

    NanoKVM | Free NAT KVM | Apply here

  • @Neoon said:

    @trycatchthis said:

    Are you sure you wanna touch that shit? hell no.

    I have automated the scraping process for a few hosts. Over time will add more.

    Well okay.

    Providers update there websites, obviously without letting you know.
    So you have to fix your shit on regular basis, some times even every weak.

    They happen to block your crawlers, could be an accident or just they don't want to get listed.
    So you have to detect and circumvent that automatically.

    Plus, most of the providers are behind cloudflare, which is fun if you let your bots scrap multiple websites, recently cloudflare got pretty good in detecting bots, so stuff is getting more and more complicated.

    TLDR: Pain in the arse for that result.

    Exactly this. I have done this and it's a nightmare and a lot of work.

    See in my aff garden for VPS and hosting from different providers all in one place.

  • Thanks for the tip.

    If I find a host changing their website every week I would probably ignore than as not being worth the effort.

    Who changes prices every week on a commodity item? As far as I have seen hosts change their prices every few years not every week.

  • Sounds like this should be open source so updates can come from 2-3 people...

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • databossdataboss Member
    edited July 15

    @TimboJones or he could just get a few partners and set up a proper firm to do it. I dont see where the motivation would be for others to spend time getting deals together when the benefits are to the providers financially and noone else in the open source model. And how to vet another 21 company failure built under the noses of colocrossing? Seems many shaky companies could drift into an open source model. At least monetary reward would at least make the site owner vulnerable to ridicule if he let those games go on

    The classic line from a provider on LET - "Nothing has been shady about my service, only me." and from a user - "...in my opinion he could have thrown a image of shit on the main website and I would still buy"

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Just let him do it.

    If you wish to join Nigh sect, adopt my avatar as your own and believe in the end.

Sign In or Register to comment.