Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Cloudflare alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a Cloudflare alternative

I am quite satisfied with Cloudflare but we are unable to get the Visitor's IP address as we haven't purchased the Enterprise plan.

Are there any providers that support
Therefore we are looking for a Cloudflare alternative which has the following features:

• Dynamic content delivery
  • WAF (Web Application Firewall)
  • DDoS protection
  • HTTP/2 support
  • Compression
  • Cache Control
  • Visitor IP must be visible/recoverable

Are there any providers that include these features in lower tier plans?

Comments

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2021

@curator you don't need Enterprise plan to get visitors real IP.
    Just install this ▶ mod_remoteip

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170786-Restoring-original-visitor-IPs

Secondly, there's a header CF-Connecting-IP
    Provides the client (visitor) IP address (connecting to Cloudflare) to the origin web server.
    This header will only be sent on the traffic from Cloudflare's edge to your origin webserver.
    So if you are using cPanel stats then you can view original visitor IP.

According to cloudflare:

There's absolutely no difference between True-Client-IP and Cf-Connecting-IP besides the name of the header. Some Enterprise customers with legacy devices need True-Client-IP to avoid updating firewalls or load-balancers to read a custom header name.

Alternative is ddos-guard, stormwall.network, or bunny.net

• marianmarian Member

@curator said: I am quite satisfied with Cloudflare but we are unable to get the Visitor's IP address as we haven't purchased the Enterprise plan.

Have you searched for this issue on Google? I'm pretty sure you can restore original visitor IP for every CF plan: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170786-Restoring-original-visitor-IPs

Thanked by 2curator webcraft
  • curatorcurator Member
    edited July 2021

@JasonM @marian @momkin

Thank you for your suggestions. I followed the linked documentation before considering a provider change but unfortunately it only returned a private IP. Perhaps I've done a mistake in the process?

• JasonMJasonM Member

@curator said: Thank you for your suggestions. I followed the linked documentation but unfortunately it only returned a private IP. Perhaps I've done a mistake in the process?

I've updated my answer above with additional sentence. pls. check.

Thanked by 1curator
  • marianmarian Member

Private IP or Cloudflare IP? If is a private IP, maybe you have a load balancer in front of your server?

Thanked by 1curator
  • MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

https://qbine.net not all your requirments but nice to take a look.

• @JasonM said:

@curator said: Thank you for your suggestions. I followed the linked documentation but unfortunately it only returned a private IP. Perhaps I've done a mistake in the process?

I've updated my answer above with additional sentence. pls. check.

Thank you, I'll try that and see if it works.

@marian said:
    Private IP or Cloudflare IP? If is a private IP, maybe you have a load balancer in front of your server?

I'll DM you regarding this. Thank you!

@Marcooo said:
    https://qbine.net not all your requirments but nice to take a look.

Thanks, but it looks like they're mainly focussing on EU sites.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@marian said:

CF-Connecting-IP cannot be a private IP.
    If you see Class E IPv4 addresses (first octet between 240 and 255), toggle off Pseudo IPv4 option and you'll get their real IPv6 address.

X-Forwarded-For may contain private IP because there could be another proxy adding this header before the request reaches Cloudflare.

Thanked by 2curator marian
  • @yoursunny said:

@marian said:

CF-Connecting-IP cannot be a private IP.
    If you see Class E IPv4 addresses (first octet between 240 and 255), toggle off Pseudo IPv4 option and you'll get their real IPv6 address.

X-Forwarded-For may contain private IP because there could be another proxy adding this header before the request reaches Cloudflare.

This sounds promising! Thanks a lot. I'll keep you guys updated!

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

Your already got help above :)
    If you will still need something else or someone is coming from google (this thread topic will surely get a lot of clicks from Google Search) I can recommend:

• BunnyCDN (only paid plan, the best/one of the best performance/money ratios out of all paid CDNs if you have a lot of traffic. Works very good worldwide.)
    • Namecheap Supersonic CDN (free tier available with 50GB/mo limit and basic DDoS protection)
    • Fastly (fastest from my experience, but veeery expensive if you get a lot of traffic)

Cloudflare is still the best free CDN offer and if you tweak a little it will be enough for 90% of usecases. Cloudflare Page Rules (in free plan you can use 3 rules) can give you boost in security and speed. Main benefit of Cloudflare is that you don't need to pay for traffic - you can get 2TB/mo in free plan and it will work fine. No other free CDN can do it.

Thanked by 1curator
  • curatorcurator Member
    edited July 2021

I recently tried the tips mentioned above and they worked. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately I am only able to see the IPv6. Is it possible to check the IPv4 without turning off IPv6 support?

• sandozsandoz Veteran

DDoS Guard is your alternative, with a free plan. Don't search more, unless you can spend money.

• @curator said:

Unfortunately I am only able to see the IPv6. Is it possible to check the IPv4 without turning off IPv6 support?

You get ipv6 addresses from users connecting via ipv6

• @Brend4n said:

@curator said:

I understand but don't they mostly still use an IPv4 tunnel to access the web?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@curator said:

@Brend4n said:

@curator said:

I understand but don't they mostly still use an IPv4 tunnel to access the web?

Actually your system prefers IPv6 for sending data

Thanked by 2yoursunny curator
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

QUIC.cloud is worth looking at too, just out of beta mind.

Thanked by 1curator
  • Bunny CDN was mentioned a couple of times here. Do they have a WAF now?

• QUIC.cloud is my go-to for non-cloudflare sites

Thanked by 1curator
  • JioJio Member

@curator said: Unfortunately I am only able to see the IPv6. Is it possible to check the IPv4 without turning off IPv6 support?

No, if they connect by IPv6 you get IPv6

@curator said: I understand but don't they mostly still use an IPv4 tunnel to access the web?

No, almost no one does

• @sgheghele said:
    Bunny CDN was mentioned a couple of times here. Do they have a WAF now?

They don't unfortunately.> @Jio said:

@curator said: Unfortunately I am only able to see the IPv6. Is it possible to check the IPv4 without turning off IPv6 support?

No, if they connect by IPv6 you get IPv6

@curator said: I understand but don't they mostly still use an IPv4 tunnel to access the web?

No, almost no one does

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanked by 1sgheghele
  • JioJio Member

@curator said: Thanks for clarifying!

You may have been confused by the cloudflare fake IPv4-IPv6 thing? For backward compatibility (but somewhat useless) they kind of hash the IPv6 and provide you 4 generated numbers that look like a IPv4 but have absolutely no bearing in reality. To support those that truly can't handle a : anywhere

• @Jio said:

@curator said: Thanks for clarifying!

You may have been confused by the cloudflare fake IPv4-IPv6 thing? For backward compatibility (but somewhat useless) they kind of hash the IPv6 and provide you 4 generated numbers that look like a IPv4 but have absolutely no bearing in reality. To support those that truly can't handle a : anywhere

Possibly! I'll stick to using the IPv6 now. This should make things easier. :)

• https://www.psychz.net/cdn.html

Have 50% recurring discount, so 1tb is $5, waf is included.

Thanked by 1Moopah