Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode About to Offer DDoS Protected IP's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode About to Offer DDoS Protected IP's

Following RamNode's continued success, BuyVM has finally been inspired by RamNode and is getting into the SSD VPS market wanting a piece of the cake too.

While RamNode is inspired by BuyVM and starting to offer DDoS protected IP's in Seattle soon.

Interesting.

Comments

• I never had a box with buyvm because they never had any promos on leb/let and can't comment on them.

But, ramnode do rock with their service and I have 3 boxes with Nick. Good luck ramnode :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@jake said:
    Following RamNode's continued success, BuyVM has finally been inspired by RamNode and is getting into the SSD VPS market wanting a piece of the cake too.

While RamNode is inspired by BuyVM and starting to offer DDoS protected IP's in Seattle soon.

Interesting.

Hardly the same.

We're not offering SSD plans as an added value thing. We're dropping serious bank and upgrading all plans to SSD's for free.

KVM will take longer since i'm taking the change out time as a chance to improve how backups will be taken.

Francisco

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I don't see any correlation either. There are several hosts offering DDoS filtering now, and it's one of our most requested features. Of course we're all aware BuyVM started the trend (and they probably still do it best), but I decided to add this feature because of client requests and not because of competition.

• Nick, Its so true, The market nowadays i think most before end of 2013 will be moving towards ddos protected networks because its becoming a major issue more an more, An is costly to mitigate after downtime is already occuring. an its getting less expensive to offer ddos protection :)

• DDoS-protected IPs would be a much more interesting feature if providers added a policy requiring the Minecraft crowd to buy them

• Lol good stir!

• Yeah I think the way this topic has been written is pretty.. misleading.

• Fran/Nick = same person? Discuss.

• So will this be like BuyVM's filtering where it's done through CNServers in Oregon or will you guys be doing some sort of in-house solution?

• @texteditor said:
    DDoS-protected IPs would be a much more interesting feature if providers added a policy requiring the Minecraft crowd to buy them

Ban Minecraft and have the kids get their mom to phone verify identity. Problem solved.

• @jake said:

Don't speculate what you do not know officially about or look foolish

@fcfc said:
    So will this be like BuyVM's filtering where it's done through CNServers in Oregon or will you guys be doing some sort of in-house solution?

Yes, we have a cross connect to them in The Westin.

• @Nekki said:
    Fran/Nick = same person? Discuss.

No.
    @Nick_A
    Nice addition! Good luck man!
    @Francisco
    SSD Upgrades for free?! Same Disk Space or do people take a sacrifice for performance? Is this optional if so?

Good luck with the upgrade :)

• @eastonch said:
    @Francisco SSD Upgrades for free?! Same Disk Space or do people take a sacrifice for performance? Is this optional if so?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/13444/buyvm-announces-free-ssd-upgrades-to-all-openvz-256mb-plans

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

There are more and more hosts offering DDoS protection, in theory this will reduce the downtime for all hosts that can't afford lots of traffic and non-commit stand-by pipes.
    With OVH going into the market with their huge traffic capabilities it will certainly get even better.
    It was long overdue.

• @Nick_A said:

So which date you start to offer it?

• There are more and more hosts offering DDoS protection, in theory this will reduce the downtime for all hosts that can't afford lots of traffic and non-commit stand-by pipes.

In theory it might reduce it, but the host with the worst network downtime of any I use is a Spanish provider who offers 10Gbs DDoS protection...and most of the network outages have been due to DDoS attacks that were too large for the system to handle.

DDoS protected plans currently tend to attract a large number of people who are DDoS magnets and these "attack magnets" frequently attract attacks that are larger than their DDoS protected host can handle and everyone suffers. The "suffering" (i.e. DDoS magnets congregating at the limited number of hosts currently offering DDoS protection) will probably come to an end when the majority of hosts offer DDoS protection.

edited September 2013

I have high hopes for OVH. They should have the capacity and will probably get the EU magnets onboard.
    There is, of course, the issue on how they treat people, but with the DDoS excuse being ruled out, there will be fewer cases to kick.

This issue is very serious for us. As most revenue is from big customers and the VPS business is only small change, we need to keep those up and without packet loss, so we have extra 10g stand-by pipes and an 100 mil pps capable core router branching out differently for the VPS business and the main business. Still at attacks over 20 gbps the capacity is starting to be stressed, over 30, there will probably be packet loss on the other branch too, though we never had an attack over 30 gbps yet to test this theory. We also have manual supervision at all times and alerts starting at 25k pps, even though many legit users go over 40k at times and the smallest server (non-atom) can do easily 200+ k with bigger ones peaking at 1400k+.

As you can see, this is a big worry for us and we are mercilessly suspending magnets at second attack if new customers and third if old or if attacks are small enough not to affect the node. If the magnets will move out by their own choice, it will be great !

• I wish you would have done ddos protected IPs in Atlanta instead.

Mun

Yeah me too, Mun, but it's not that easy unfortunately.

We're planning to offer them within 48 hours for those who asked. Likely within 24.

• Darn you, tempting me with something so good! I don't need it, but I want it so badly!

• @Nick_A is it free upgrade or there is fee involved?

Within 24 hours = now. They can be ordered in the Client Area at this time.

• @jake Honestly, who are you? The only threads you make here are announcements.

I don't understand what this has to do with BuyVM other than the technology used. There are already hosts in Seattle who offer DDoS filtering. I have a good relationship with Fran and I would appreciate it if everyone maintained some perspective here rather than trying to drum up some drama.

Besides, nobody pissed BuyVM more than me, Aldryic managed to ban me even tho he was the one insulting me and i always replied with arguments.
    Things might have changed tho, he seemed almost decent when we exchanged some messages in vpsboard.

• @Maounique said:
    Besides, nobody pissed BuyVM more than me

I think you pissed off OVH even more, Oles tweeted a picture of a John Deere tractor with a big red X through it last night.

Haha :) Ppl like to shoot the messenger these days :(

• Can you provide a filtered test IP? Would like to see the added latency on it (plan on using it for VoIP).