Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server vs Bare Metal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server vs Bare Metal

What's the difference between the two, apart from manual vs automatic provisioning and flexible billing?

Comments

• They mean the same thing..

Thanked by 2Hxxx ariq01
  • valkvalk Member

Bare metal is the machine itself
    Dedicated server, well..., same

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2021

Also none of these terms have anything to do with automation, flexible billing, etc.

Dedicated server vs Bare Metal is the same as saying
    VM vs VPS.

Basically synonym Dedicated and Bare M means the same.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Query Resolved.
    Thread Closed.

• Dedicated for beginners
    Bare for pros
    ... in marketing terms... I guess

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Bareback is always better.

• IvanIvan Member

They are both the exact same thing. You get a physical server all to yourself.

However, I've seen some providers use the term bare metal for when you would get the server with no OS installed. Whereas with a dedicated server you choose from a preloaded selection of OS's. For "bare metal" you would perform the OS installation yourself via IPMI or the-like. Hence the term "bare metal".

But in every other instance the terms dedicated server and bare metal are synonymous.

• They are basically the same things but Bare Metal is more referring to the hardware itself without anything else.. hence "bare".. but Dedis would be more of a "finished product"

But at least this is a common question unlike some thread Ive seen where someone is asking which people would prefer.. between BareVM and BareVPS.. *facepalm*

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @GOBBLES said:
    They are basically the same things but Bare Metal is more referring to the hardware itself without anything else.. hence "bare".. but Dedis would be more of a "finished product"

But at least this is a common question unlike some thread Ive seen where someone is asking which people would prefer.. between BareVM and BareVPS.. *facepalm*

You failed to learn from that thread, too. You should refrain from providing advice contrary to better answers above you.

Bare metal doesn't mean "referring to the hardware itself without anything else", it means there's no hypervisor running and you're running the OS right on the hardware. Having Win server 2019 installed to the machine without any hypervisor would be bare metal.

• GOBBLESGOBBLES Member
    edited June 2021

@TimboJones said: Bare metal doesn't mean "referring to the hardware itself without anything else", it means there's no hypervisor running and you're running the OS right on the hardware.

Bare Metal simply means no OS or applications.. just the physical machine itself.. hence the word "bare"..

@TimboJones said: Having Win server 2019 installed to the machine without any hypervisor would be bare metal

With 2019 installed or pre-installed to the machine without any hypervisor is not Bare Metal..it would just be called a Dedicated Server

But if u bringing in context about not having hypervisor that would be a Bare Metal Cloud or a Bare Metal Hypervisor.. different marketing terms used by cloud providers..

So Bare Metal Server simply means the hardware on its own WITHOUT any OS or applications installed

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • In simple terms:

Dedicated server = bare metal (running on actual hardware, hence the term metal)
    Anything else = virtualized (your VPS is not much different to a "program" that's running on a dedicated server)

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

• I thinks to some extends they are the same…. But bare metal is purer?

• Bare metal means you take control of the entire hardware / machine.
    • Dedicated servers only highlight the ownership of computing power (cpu / memory / storage / network card, etc.)

Just my own opinion….

• @peterrack said:
    I thinks to some extends they are the same…. But bare metal is purer?

• Dedicated servers only highlight the ownership of computing power (cpu / memory / storage / network card, etc.)

Just my own opinion….

If you take it literally you would be right. Terminology can be a PITA.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I think @Ivan came closest.
    Dedicated just means "a system not shared and under your control - and responsibility". Hence there are both dedicated servers (hardware) and VDS, virtual dedicated servers (virtualized/hypervised), which may or may not have some basics pre-installed, e.g. an OS.
    Bare metal otoh means that you get to use a physical device and the means to work with it, e.g. IPMI, and that's it.
    "Bare metal" focuses on the physical device while "dedicated" focuses on "not shared but yours only" (whatever it may be that is dedicated). Note that "bare metal" necessarily implies "dedicated" but "dedicated" does not necessarily imply "bare metal", e.g. the say 50 GB NVMe volume of a VDS are dedicated to you but the NVMe device is not.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @laoban said:
    What's the difference between the two, apart from manual vs automatic provisioning and flexible billing?

No strings attached.... get bare metal to run your OS

• KassemKassem Member

@peterrack said:
    I thinks to some extends they are the same…. But bare metal is purer?

Just my own opinion….

Both terms should be referring to you taking full control of the hardware. Anything else should be called a virtual dedicated server (VDS). Like HostGator calling a VDS a dedicated server is wrong.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its the same, but if someone advertises them as "bare metal" I would keep an eye on the prices. Likely cost more.