Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS hosting

bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

What do you use for your DNS? I just use my domain registrar's built in DNS, but I'm wondering if you all use anything else for performance reasons or whatever

Comments

• 1.1.1.1 from CloudFlare
    or AWS if i need something complicated

Thanked by 2bruh21 lentro
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

I self-host to have more control.

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • themewthemew Member

Cloudflare and Hurricane both use anycast for fast resolving.

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • ClouDNS.net

Thanked by 2bruh21 CloudxtnyHost
  • JasonMJasonM Member

I use dns from cloudflare, and cloudns. Also have premium dns from godaddy. Was using free dns from namecheap too. - all are good. Paid ones come with more features though.

• PeterPPeterP Member, Host Rep

Personally, I'm using Cloudflare's free DNS. Company-wise, it's Cloudflare's free DNS for forward-facing zones (domain names) and ClouDNS' DDoS-protected DNS for reverse-facing zones (reverse DNS for company-allocated public IP address space). Have had a good experience with the both of them and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• EvoxtEvoxt Member

DNS hosting? I always go to cloudflare. In special cases where I need custom port where cloudflare doesn't support. Then I self host, pretty sure 99% of the people does that

• amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited June 2021

1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 for my home network
    1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 for my servers
    cloudflare.com name servers if I need free cdn
    google domains name servers if I don't need cdn

• tjntjn Member

ClouDNS.net +1

• Cloudflare :)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Evoxt said: Then I self host, pretty sure 99% of the people does that

99% of people use their registrars DNS

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

A mix of Hurricane Electric and our own anycast DNS cluster.

• You can setup your own too especially if you need it to work properly with RBL.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Evoxt said: Then I self host, pretty sure 99% of the people does that

Skeptical that's true...

But if you want to roll your own, I highly recommend NSD, which is very easy to setup and use. Just published a tutorial on YouTube on how to set it up.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • JarryJarry Member

I recommend self-hosting. Most of us have 2, 3, 4...99 idling vps, so why not use them? Anyway, as soon as you need something more complicated than simple A/AAAA-record (DNSSEC, DKIM/DMARC, etc) you have to ask support and wait.

With self-hosting dn-servers you have full controll, i.e. you can fine-tune TTL if you change records frequently, use multiple A/AAAA records for round-robin load ballancing, use dns for letsencrypt verification, etc. And finally, with setting up and administering your dn-server you learn something new!

• @Jarry said: with setting up and administering your dn-server you learn something new!

Already too much things I need to learn...

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

ClouDNS.net +2

• pierrepierre Member

1.1.1.1/CF for mainly everything (at home, server, and vps's)

Used to use 8.8.8.8/Google, but the latency kept going higher than the others. 9.9.9.9/Quad9 has been getting better recently, need to give them a try.

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

• Cloudflare is good, HE.net is a good alternative as well. Google Cloud DNS is good if you use Google Domains as your registrar.

I would switch to not using your registrar's nameservers for better performance and uptime as well as a general better interface for editing DNS records.

Thanked by 1yoursunny