Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seedbox - DIY cheap ARM server or commercial?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seedbox - DIY cheap ARM server or commercial?

Any cheap offerings about? I see Scaleway and SyS ARM options aren't available anymore?

Comments

• ps20090ps20090 Member
    edited June 2021

Try seedboxws, minimim is 2 Euro per month for 100 GB Seedbox and plex play is like 0.5 Euro/month extra (no transcoding, just direct play on Plex). Can use private/public trackers but public trackers stop seeding after downloading to seedbox.

I wrote review about it at https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/eutvjf/small_seedboxws_review/

I am currently also using a Time4VPS storage VPS as seedbox/plex, 1 TB storage box, with 1 gb bandwith upgrade and use promo code 2021 at checkout

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/171802/time4vps-reliable-affordable-pricing-quality-instant-setup-50-off-on-new-orders

I paid 36 Euro for the whole year upfront, I am from USA so no VAT for me. Comes to around 3 Euro/month for me.

But no public trackers, only private trackers else they will suspend your account. And, if 100% CPU utilization they will reduce CPU power for you.

Thanked by 1jeromeza
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited June 2021

2 euros per 100gb? Plus paid Plex?

Hell no

• @ps20090 - great feedback, just the kind of stuff i'm looking for! Thanks!

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

If you just want to play around with ARM then oracle cloud. If ya need a seedbox, I've heard good things about @PulsedMedia

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

We got ARM... with some RPIs!
    https://www.RPiServers.com

• @ps20090 said:
    But no public trackers, only private trackers else they will suspend your account. And, if 100% CPU utilization they will reduce CPU power for you.

If one were to use a proxy, even public trackers shouldn't be an issue, right?

• @ps20090 said:
    I am currently also using a Time4VPS storage VPS as seedbox/plex, 1 TB storage box, with 1 gb bandwith upgrade and use promo code 2021 at checkout

Okay I have this one too but Plex seems to be an issue on 1gbps port Storage box, it keeps buffering, I have had set up for Direct play and no transcoding. Do I need to care about something?

• @Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

Okay I have this one too but Plex seems to be an issue on 1gbps port Storage box, it keeps buffering, I have had set up for Direct play and no transcoding. Do I need to care about something?

I do CDN peering via cloudflare so it maxes out my connection. I will post link for the guide I followed later cause it is deleted now, but it is similar to https://quickbox.io/knowledge-base/setting-up-cloudflare-and-plex-cdn/

I use free plan on cloudflare, only cost is domain, any domain works, but I think there was like problem in like free domains like .tk , .ml, etc. Freenom free domains. I forgot the exact problem but I think it was something with SSL certification generation step.

• @HuangLee said:

@ps20090 said:

I don't know how to setup proxy on VPS server so I never tried it. But like if you can avoid any content infringement notice coming to Time4VPS, they don't care what torrenting you do. If you need private trackers let me know I can send you invites for IPT torrents, the owner is scumbag and like did shady things like did members or cancel random membership so like people have to pay/donate to resume membership. And some other trackers I can send you invites like TorrentLeech (they have often open registration periods)

• @ps20090 said:

@HuangLee said:

@ps20090 said:

I don't know how to setup proxy on VPS server so I never tried it. But like if you can avoid any content infringement notice coming to Time4VPS, they don't care what torrenting you do. If you need private trackers let me know I can send you invites for IPT torrents, the owner is scumbag and like did shady things like did members or cancel random membership so like people have to pay/donate to resume membership. And some other trackers I can send you invites like TorrentLeech (they have often open registration periods)

Thanks, DM'd you!

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2021

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

What kind of content are you watching and where are you streaming from? How many users are using your Plex?

4K content will only take up 50-100 mbps. 1080p content will take around 10-20 mbps. It shouldn't be maxing out the port. It should be fine if you're using the direct play feature and live near the VPS.

• @Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

What kind of content are you watching and where are you streaming from? How many users are using your Plex?

4K content will only take up 50-100 mbps. 1080p content will take around 10-20 mbps. It shouldn't be maxing out the port. It should be fine if you're using the direct play feature and live near the VPS.

My location is far from vps center, I stream 720p mostly as 1080p even on proper Plex server (From reputed seedbox provider) with transcoding gives me buffering, I don't know What I need to fix to get bufferless streaming

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

My location is far from vps center, I stream 720p mostly as 1080p even on proper Plex server (From reputed seedbox provider) with transcoding gives me buffering, I don't know What I need to fix to get bufferless streaming

What CPU are they using? How many cores? I assume the CPU is bottle necking the transcoding.

• @Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

What CPU are they using? How many cores? I assume the CPU is bottle necking the transcoding.

I choose Direct play, I am using Container vps 80gb hdd with 1gbps port bandwidth. I am not doing transcoding. Still have to suffer buffering.

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

I choose Direct play, I am using Container vps 80gb hdd with 1gbps port bandwidth. I am not doing transcoding. Still have to suffer buffering.

The HDD might be too slow, especially if it's shared.

• @Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@Advin said:

@Merlincool said:

@ps20090 said:

The HDD might be too slow, especially if it's shared.

Yes all resources are shared on time4vps even like yours storage box should be.