Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody had issue with Contabo refund request ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody had issue with Contabo refund request ?

JustPfffJustPfff Member
edited June 2021 in General

Hi all couple weeks ago I take VPS server from Contabo after somebody here recommend it to me ,
I was need it for our company windows cloud application,
and my boss ask me to find reliable company to have long term relation with,
In fact I have no idea how that application works,
after he ask the developed company to install it on the server via RDP they couldn't make the authorization application to works,
it take from them days of trials and error, before they realize that server is using KVM virtualization, which the authorization application wont work on it .
for days ago my boss sent Contebe ask for server cancellation and refund for the rest of the payment (we use the server less than a month), while the order were for one year.
it's strange situation, I know but we end-up with useless server that we couldn't use .

Comments

• BopieBopie Member

I would personally say why did you buy for 1 year if you did not know if it would work, always order for a month and then change the billing cycle once you know it is working for what you need.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

If there are more than 14 days between the order and the request for cancellation, there is no basis on which Contabo would be obliged to partially refund the paid amount.
    However, this also only applies to private individuals. Under German law, companies do not have a right of revocation.

But, renting something for a year without knowing that it will work is also a bit rash.

Thanked by 2Ympker bulbasaur
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

If you are within 14 days you may try a Widerruf, but if it's been longer there is not much you can do. I also just checked and the site with the VPS offers clearly states they are using KVM. I doubt that you have many options at this point. In the future, maybe have the tech team give you the full requirements and/or only order a vps for a month to see how it goes. As far as I can see that one is not on Contabo and if it's been longer than 14 days, then they have little reason to refund you.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@JustPfff said: it take from them days of trials and error, before they realize that server is using KVM virtualization, which the authorization application wont work on it

Wow, days of trial and error to discover that it's a KVM VPS? Sounds like a competent team.

• JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited June 2021

@Ympker said: If you are within 14 days you may try a Widerruf

The activation process talk more than 24 hours(after we send the payment), they ask for proof of resident and phone/electricity bill , which I found it really rude ,
    I don't have access to our company email used for signup(my boss have it) ,+ we wast more time trying to figure out why the cloud application didn't work.
    it was more than one application, they had issue with first one and they resolve it, .
    (I'll check copy of the emails to see if the refund request were done during the 14 days period).

Any way this could end-up very bad to my side, you my boss(which he is not that technical guy) will end-up blaming me on choosing this company(or the host server),
    I'm OK with taking the responsibility but only if contabo drop the Windows server license from the server cost and find away to transfer the township to me .
    and for the Virtualization, I know from the beginning it's uses KVM(this is not my first experience with servers), but I didn't know that Windows application require real hardware to get the activation process done, since I never experience with it at all.

@angstrom said: Wow, days of trial and error to discover that it's a KVM VPS? Sounds like a competent team

I have zero idea about that cloud application and it team, I have not contacting with them at all, I think their tech support is the one who tried to install it,
    My boss is the only one who contact with them, sadly he's is type of person to try to looks like to know everything, I always try to avoid any deep technical discuss with him,
    BTW I told him even before making the order, that serve is virtual and mostly uses KVM, looks like he forgot to mention that to the company developed the application, he only talk to them via phone so I don't have any idea what's going on between them .

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@JustPfff said:

@Ympker said: If you are within 14 days you may try a Widerruf

The activation process talk more than 24 hours(after we send the payment), they ask for proof of resident and phone/electricity bill , which I found it really rude ,
    I don't have access to our company email used for signup(my boss have it) ,+ we wast more time trying to figure out why the cloud application didn't work.
    it was more than one application, they had issue with first one and they resolve it, .
    (I'll check copy of the emails to see if the refund request were done during the 14 days period).

Any way this could end-up very bad to my side, you my boss(which he is not that technical guy) will end-up blaming me on choosing this company(or the host server),
    I'm OK with taking the responsibility but only if contabo drop the Windows server license from the server cost and find away to transfer the township to me .
    and for the Virtualization, I know from the beginning it's uses KVM(this is not my first experience with servers), but I didn't know that Windows application require real hardware to get the activation process done, since I never experience with it at all.

@angstrom said: Wow, days of trial and error to discover that it's a KVM VPS? Sounds like a competent team

I have zero idea about that cloud application and it team, I have not contacting with them at all, I think their tech support is the one who tried to install it,
    My boss is the only one who contact with them, sadly he's is type of person to try to looks like to know everything, I always try to avoid any deep technical discuss with him,
    BTW I told him even before making the order, that serve is virtual and mostly uses KVM, looks like he forgot to mention that to the company developed the application, he only talk to them via phone so I don't have any idea what's going on between them .

I mean, I get that this puts you in an uncomfortable position but when I look at it, there is really nothing that is Contabo's fault. It seems like there has been a severe lack of communication between the tech team, you and your boss and if your tech team needed days of trial and error to figure out it is a KVM VPS (which also can be found on the product page, for starters), like @angstrom already pointed out, you might check if you may be able to find a more suitable tech team. Furthermore, make sure to have all requirements sent to you in written form (email..) to you in the future. If there are essential requirements these should be given to you by the tech team and then it takes as little as you forwarding an email to Pre-Sales Contabo Support to ask whether their VPS/products meet said requirements or not. This is what Pre-Sales Questions are for. As bitter as it sounds, but if you did not hand in your Widerruf within the 14 day time frame take this as a lesson to do better in the future. Wish your boss is gonna be lenient regarding this. All the best!

Thanked by 2dahartigan lentro
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2021

Hey, @contabo_m please do an exception for this guy and close this ticket at Lowend support department successfully (and let the meme live ;)).

// Everything was told earlier - you bought a yearly contract, used for almost a month - any refund at this point is good will of Contabo.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The people that coded the application should have told you, for whatever reason it dosen't run on KVM. Contabo is not to blame here.

• @JustPfff said: my boss(which he is not that technical guy) will end-up blaming me

Rightfully so, in my opinion. But do make sure you learn the reasons why he would blame you, considering your job is to translate his non-technical requests into a technical solution for him.

+1 not contabo's fault.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • BopieBopie Member

@Neoon said:
    The people that coded the application should have told you, for whatever reason it dosen't run on KVM. Contabo is not to blame here.

I was just thinking this, does the application needs to use virtualization? that is the only reason why I would see it not working on a KVM machine that does not have nested virt ( I was lucky and got one before with nested virt)

OP I do feel for you, I have often taken the blame for something I have suggested and got it wrong however Contabo did deliver what they advertise (FYI they also tell you it is not instant set up and it us common practice for legitimate business to confirm ID if the order looks fishy)

• JioJio Member

i'd bet $100 you are in southeast asia or middle east if they are asking for electricity bill

they delivered everything they said they would deliver, this is all on you.

• afnafn Member

In order to get a refund or a partial refund you have to do 14 mails back and forth with Contabo. tested and it works. Less than 14 mails -> no refund.

Whether the problem is on your side or not, they end up getting bored and issue a refund. I never got a refund from Contabo without having to fight for at least 10-14 emails. Sometimes they offer a solution that pleases both sides (example, server transfer, partial refund) and sometimes they do full refund, depends on their mood I guess?

However, please note that you are to blame too, even if Contabo is annoying with refunds, you should know that if you exceeded 14 days, you're basically asking for a nice gesture from them, an exception, they have no obligation to honor your request.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

OP's fault.

Contabo is mostly blameless in this shit.

• momkinmomkin Member

@deank said:
    OP's fault.

Contabo is mostly blameless in this shit.

Contabo must sue the customer :smile:

• Op no offense but you sound like a retard with zero common sense

• IamMadIamMad Member

You must give employee of of the year award to your IT team

Thanked by 2miroc bulbasaur
  • webdevwebdev Member

Isn't Contabo has Dedicated Servers? if the application require real hardware, then you have no choice but Dedicated...

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@JustPfff said: I know from the beginning it's uses KVM(this is not my first experience with servers), but I didn't know that Windows application require real hardware to get the activation process done, since I never experience with it at all.

Your team should have warned you about this. This ain't your fault.

• FalzoFalzo Member

just pfff.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2021

@Bopie said:

@Neoon said:

I was just thinking this, does the application needs to use virtualization? that is the only reason why I would see it not working on a KVM machine that does not have nested virt ( I was lucky and got one before with nested virt)

OP I do feel for you, I have often taken the blame for something I have suggested and got it wrong however Contabo did deliver what they advertise (FYI they also tell you it is not instant set up and it us common practice for legitimate business to confirm ID if the order looks fishy)

could be using a GPU or iGPU or something else, we never will know.

edited June 2021

@Falzo said: just pfff.

I google my nick name and I got this meme

Amway sorry for the DRAMA, I was under pressure when I write it, we all learn something new every day,and I guess this experience should tech me hard lesson, to show my opinion clear to others.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Give it 500 years. Nothing will matter by then.

Earth will be an oceanic planet, and humans will be floating in space.

edited June 2021

@deank said: Earth will be an oceanic planet, and humans will be floating in space.

Thanks for the new quote sir, you server this forum very well,I relay wished the end were not neat,bu you know the life is already short.