Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how did you get into "IT"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how did you get into "IT"?

title.

I'll start, I was 13 years old playing CSS (about 10 years ago now, I'm 23 now) and wanted to host a server for cheaper than gameservers.com so I stumbled upon a (I think) 512mb OpenVZ free trial and used a prepaid card to start the trial. It eventually led to a massively successful Gmod community that made me a couple thousand a year until I closed it down late 2016, been self hosting since in the marketing consulting industry (sendy, wordpress, etc), even though I could pay a SaaS for less, I still enjoy it.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

IRC, for real, back in the mid 90s.

Thanked by 2randvegeta SirFoxy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2021

My parents bought a 486 Packard Bell with Windows 3.11, and AOL wouldn't stop mailing me floppies and CDs. It was destiny from there on.

• LeviLevi Member

There was a time when wap websites was popular. Created chat room and from that point it was clear where i go...

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

hmm..
    AIM
    Aol instant messenger.

Thanked by 2randvegeta SirFoxy
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

@SirFoxy said:
    title.

I'll start, I was 13 years old playing CSS (about 10 years ago now, I'm 23 now) and wanted to host a server for cheaper than gameservers.com so I stumbled upon a (I think) 512mb OpenVZ free trial and used a prepaid card to start the trial. It eventually led to a massively successful Gmod community that made me a couple thousand a year until I closed it down late 2016, been self hosting since in the marketing consulting industry (sendy, wordpress, etc), even though I could pay a SaaS for less, I still enjoy it.

Remarkably similar to me. CSS in ~2006, Garry's Mod in 2008 where I spent a lot of time over a few years before university. Garry's Mod got me into software development which lead to my CS degree & then later job.

• visualwebtechnologiesvisualwebtechnologies Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2021

Css is still strong playing role B)

• One of my uncles showed me how to create macros in Excel '97, maybe around 1999 or so? I found it so cool that you could record something and then the computer could do it again automatically. I started coding in VBA in Excel, then moved on to VB3 and then VB6

In 2001 I made a Monopoly-like game, with graphics were hand-crafted in MS Paint:

Here's some of the code: https://gist.github.com/Daniel15/4739018. I was 11 years old at the time, entirely self-taught, hence the kinda messy code :smiley:

I got my first home internet connection two years later in 2003, This was dial-up, $1 per hour. Found the "view source" feature in Internet Explorer 6 and figured out that making websites was actually pretty easy (back when site source code was actually readable), so I started learning about that. I made a few sites - The oldest one I could find in the Internet Archive was for a site where I uploaded all the apps I was building: https://web.archive.org/web/20030903044325/http://member.telpacific.com.au/daniel15/ (I've got a more complete copy here: http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/oldest/ although it's also missing some images)

17 years later I'm still a web/software developer, and still really enjoy it.

Thanked by 3kwaralala FAT32 SirFoxy
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited June 2021

Wanted to make games as a kid, picked up VB6 as my first language tried writing simple tech demos (graphics + physics, DirectX8 was the thing back then) and some really dumb shit (e.g. DirectX9 wrapper for VB6) to teach myself.

Am now a corporate slave cooking writing spaghetti. image

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Started with IRC and providing free shells for friends under Kverka.net/no when I was younger. Transitioned into hosting servers in my basement in 2005 over a 50Mbps business fiber from a local company, called it Gigahost. Moved that to a proper facility a year later and called it Terrahost. The rest is history :)

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Minecraft server hosting for friends. Started with a managed service slowly moved to VPS.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • FalzoFalzo Member

back when we were kids a friend got his hands on that rare piece: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC80

it's been a long interesting rodeo from back then and still is LOL.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Started building my first webpage using Microsoft FrontPage, and later moved into Flash and Dreamweaver. As I need to find place to host websites, I learnt to host it on some free hosting such as 50webs.com, 000webhost.com etc.

Other than web development I also learnt VB6, it is just fantastic to get things built. I still remember the platform I used to build games and learn their code in VB6 - Eclipse Origins.

• defaultdefault Veteran

A book in library: 100 commands of MS-DOS.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • fazarfazar Member

1998-1999. I did voluntary job to clean up computer lab at my school. our lab has access to internet, leased line 64 kbps. 😄

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • I played play station game when I was a 10-year-old boy and thought that if I know computers well enough, I can beat all my other friends and win their money.

So studied programming and went to CSE university :smile:

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited June 2021

2012, with Vinaget and other debrid leechers/cboxes. I was fascinated by PHP like a damn cryptic inscription with my then zero English skills. And ever since, I still fail to understand why people keep bashing PHP around. I enjoy it today like I did years ago.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • I started by doing link building(link spamming to be honest), after few years I realized its not something I really want to do for a living so i started to learn python. Now building my first saas.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • grepgrep Member

I got into IT by trying to clone someone who was actually funny and can take a joke, but actually, I'm just kind of a weirdo who gets too sensitive when anyone mentions "butt-fuck jail" for some reason. Lmao.

• i got a PC

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2021

When I was about 12 years old, I played lots of private gameservers from various MMOs. For several years I was very active in one of those private server forum communities and wanted to host my own and thus got into server hosting (first Windows, because GUI and then after I realized I burned through my pocket money looking towards Linux servers and learning Bash/Terminal). I also needed a database so learned to navigate/manage with PHPMyAdmin, XAMPP, Uniserver and lots of TecMint tutorials haha. The server also needed a website and while at first I built websites with a Software calles WebsiteX5?!, I eventually looked into HTML/CSS and a bit of php and played with various templates from the gaming community forum. I then also wanted to add more cool monsters and scripts/events to my server so I learned a bit of LUA. With about 13/14 I built a website for someone from the family based on (I think) WordPress. With 16 I took Colt's Web Developer Bootcamp on Udemy, re-learned HTML/CSS, dived into JS, NodeJS and MongoDB. With 18 I then first registered my small business for Web Design and here I am, still loving all of it today. Currently taking CS50 Introduction to Computer Science to get a bit more into programming languages that interest me. At some point I wanna see how I can build a Web-GUI for Ympkit and push Ympkit even further :)

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2021

Runescape botting.. I hated leveling my combat skills and just wanted to enjoy the game in castlewars back in 2006.. So I started looking into VPS servers for that stuff. I even used the school's server to run rsbuddy/powerbot back then.

It kinda went from there.

Thanked by 2Ympker SirFoxy
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2021

@stefeman said:
    Runescape botting.. I hated leveling my combat skills and just wanted to enjoy the game in castlewars back in 2006.. So I started looking into VPS servers for that stuff. I even used the school's server to run rsbuddy/powerbot back then.

It kinda went from there.

Haha I also got a bot from the MMO I was playing, just to learn how to code botting scripts with it using LUA. So I used it as a motivation to practice LUA.

Fun fact: Back then they told me LUA is:

Learn it

Use it

Adore it.

I ended up dropping LUA very fast, though. But it might still be useful when learning other programming languages.

• ailiceailice Member

I pretty much play around with VB6 back in the days. Planet Source Code still kicking back in the days.

• a tech magazine called digit

• Back then (lets say 1999 and around, i was 7) we got our first non-work PC (never touch the blue phone or the gov pc ahhh, i remember), with Windows 98. No internet.

I had in fact no internet at home until 200x, the knowledge that i could use a modem went just beyond me at the time (we had a T1 for work/gov, but that did not connect to the public internet).

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • I went to some IT courses in my hometown back in early 1993. I just wanted to play some games there. Ended up picking up a Dos and a windows professional certificate instead, and played zero games. Got my first 386 PC shortly after, and started messing around with local networks, as my entire neighbourhood chipped in and ran cat cables. So it was a big ole network of 1500+ computers. Lots of "linux isos" were shared back then, and my appetite to learn more suddenly appeared.

Been a long and fun journey ever since.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • BopieBopie Member

Back in 90's I loved tech that is it really and from there realised how much money could be made :)

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • amadex1337amadex1337 Member
    edited June 2021

As a 13 years old I needed to build a website for my Counter Strike 1.6 clan. That's when I have registered domain name and bought a hosting at a local telecom. I've used php-nuke I guess for that.

Later with 15 years I've rented (my mom rented) a dedicated server from Server4You.de. The chellenge was to install ssh2, lamp, ioncube to run Swift panel (game panel) and I've hosted Counter Strike 1.6 servers. Later I've sold my clients and transfered the server to Leftor d.o.o. a large hosting provider in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

With 16 I've opened BosnianHosting, it was based on whm reseller, but after a while I've sold all my clients again to Leftor d.o.o. I've used a nulled whmcs license for billing, roast me.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2021

Programming calculators in an electrical lab,, 8080 assembly at school/college and BASIC on Dragon 32. Then bugged the living shit out of a company IT Manager to get a job in PC Support.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Was in prison for 4 years started reading a tech magazine and decided when I get out I would start resell web hosting in 2002 still going

Thanked by 1SirFoxy