Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How real is "Unmetered" bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How real is "Unmetered" bandwidth?

I've talked to some VPS providers offering unmetered bandwidth and of course none of those was true unmetered. Basically its "If we feel like you are pushing too much we will suspend you".

So are there any real umetered VPS providers? I am genuine looking for 5 locations under $20 with unmetered bandwidth.

But if you say you offer 100mbit unmetered VPS I expect I will be able to push 32TB per month, every month. Crazy enough to offer 1Gbit unmetered? 324TB are coming your way, all day, every day, none stop, feel the Gs.

Basically I want to use the full available bandwidth without worrying about being suspended.

Are there any solid providers that can leave up to their marketing?

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited September 2013

I think Crissic does this, you get allocated a certain amount of bandwidth @ 1 Gbps then capped to 10 mbit if you exceed it for the rest of the month.

Also it is unrealistic to expect to push 32 TB on a 100 mbit line because VPSes share a physical port. If 10 people are doing the exact same thing you're doing, then you should expect 3.2 TB / month.

The main thing I realized from hosts that offer "unmetered bandwidth" is that you won't get any bandwidth overage costs at the end of the month. Whether or not they decide to kick you out because you're effecting everyone else is entirely a different story.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@black said:
    Also it is unrealistic to expect to push 32 TB on a 100 mbit line because VPSes share a physical port. If 10 people are doing the exact same thing you're doing, then you should expect 3.2 TB / month.

This. Realistically you can't expect to push 100Mbit 24/7 with a LEB. It just won't happen. You certainly won't push 1Gbit constantly.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2013

VPS is considered a shared platform which shares the connection. Those who are offering unmetered are basicly saying you can have your own fair share and we won't terminate you if you do use 2.5TB, but if you are constantly using all the resources they will limit you or suspend your account. If you want dedicated resources then buy a dedicated server, then you can use all the resources you are paying for because you are the only one on the server.

My other suggestion would be raise your budget and go with a provider like 5gbps.com, they actually advertise being able to use the whole gigabit you pay for, but its around $29.00/month for their base package. Their page even says, "The 1Gbps port is 100% unmetered and unrestricted! Use as much bandwidth as you need! No caps,no hidden fees!"

Most LE* Providers will not want to offer you such a thing when you already stated you plan to abuse the bandwidth and use it all the time 24/7, this likely not be with-in their budget to offer you unless they have a highly un-utilized node they don't mind you thrashing, and even then, I would expect them to charge you more than 20$/month for the bandwidth.

Cheers!

• @jimaek said:

But if you say you offer 100mbit unmetered VPS I expect I will be able to push 32TB per month, every month. Crazy enough to offer 1Gbit unmetered? 324TB are coming your way, all day, every day, none stop, feel the Gs.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a provider for $20/m with 100Mbit unmetered. Depending on what they pay for bandwidth that doesn't even cover the cost of the bandwidth itself.

We offer a "No overage" policy that operates under the same ideals that ram/disk overselling operates under. There will be a few users that use all of their bandwidth, and others that barely touch their bandwidth. We also pay for our Bandwidth as a 95% commit with GoRack so we have more flexibility with our bandwidth than if you rent a server with 20TB of bandwidth a month.

In a case of a user attempting to eat away at a full 100Mbit connection for a consistent period of time typically is doing something that is against our TOS/AUP.

Good luck finding a provider that can offer you a true unmetered experience at a loss.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

Our storage plans offer this, well we have it capped @ 30TB, though if you really need the extra 2 it can be added.

We have one person pushing 22TB on average

• To understand what unlimited means for that provider you need to read there SLA. In many cases they define in there what they dictate as unlimited*. It is usually along the lines of you can use how ever much you like, as long as you don't abuse or saturate it.

Mun

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2013

Cant generalized host, its case to case basis. i prefer trying each for my particular interest to see how it really is.

• It is also possible no cap and it's really unlimited, but their network is bad. so it's useless

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited September 2013

@jimaek out of curiosity what is it for, 5 vm x 32 TB = 160 TB. I can't imagin anything with a LEBish budget using that much.

Anyways I use @fliphost 's storage servers even if I only use about 250 GB a month. I think I saw somewhere its on a dual gigabit port. Vms limited to 100mbps

• How about Digital Ocean?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2013

If you need a dedicated line, you have to pay for it. Unmetered with dedicated access to the maximum transfer at low cost vps prices would, at best, be something like 10mbit or FDC (take the 10mbit over that).

• @Fliphost said:
    Our storage plans offer this, well we have it capped @ 30TB, though if you really need the extra 2 it can be added.

We have one person pushing 22TB on average

Is he running a filelocker or something?

@texteditor generally the highest are tor related, though I am not sure.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    How about Digital Ocean?

i think they also not allow real unmetered. there are some old post on this.

• @Fliphost said:
    texteditor generally the highest are tor related, though I am not sure.

Yeah, but I doubt someone would run tor on a storage vps

@texteditor We call them storage VPS but anything that isn't SSD is put on them.

• thanks jcaleb. seems like I missed many post here. i will try read it again :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think it is possible to use 32 TB a month but not at 20 $.
    But also, as someone said, you need a dedicated server for that because saturating the port will mean everyone else on the node will not be able to use theirs. If the port, however, if the port is 1 gbps and you have 100 mbps cap, it can work.
    We offer dedicated atoms on 100 mbps port unlimited. It is, however, more than 20 $.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

So are there any real umetered VPS providers? I am genuine looking for 5 locations under $20 with unmetered bandwidth.

That's a tricky one. Maybe you'll have more luck with a dedicated server?
    I hope you didn't mean all five for $20 total. If not, then just kind of merge 2 locations, and you got yourself nice $40 to spend on
    https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/
    http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ks1.xml
    i3d http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1303099
    http://www.seflow.it/dedicati/ etc
    Some of those will provide 20-25TB bandwidth instead of unmetered (close enough to 32, considering you practically won't be able to burn full 32TB anyway on a 100 Mbit port), but then the incoming b/w might be free (not counted).

• @Maounique said:
    We offer dedicated atoms on 100 mbps port unlimited. It is, however, more than 20 $.

When did that start?

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    thanks jcaleb. seems like I missed many post here. i will try read it again :)

it seems they advertise as such, but will do something once you consume a lot of bandwidth.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@texteditor said:

I dont know what you mean, that is on for something like at least 1 year. For specific request from specific customers we can offer atoms with ipmi, supermicro made and those have 100 mbps ports we do not restrict. Price is more than double, though.