Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner SX Line (Storage Servers) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner SX Line (Storage Servers)

2»

Comments

• sithrebel15sithrebel15 Member
    edited May 2021

@Hxxx said:
    Hetzner changed their root servers AUP and now crypto usage is banned. Just saying those Chia servers will not last...

encrypt the drives, route your traffic to another provider, and disable ME with me_cleaner and they shouldn't have any easy way to catch you. Chia doesn't degrade any other users experience as long as you're on a dedicated box.

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    Hetzner changed their root servers AUP and now crypto usage is banned. Just saying those Chia servers will not last...

Only on cloud though right? More understandable there.

• @jar said:

@Hxxx said:

No, "root server" means dedicated boxes.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:

@Hxxx said:

Nope: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3229174#Comment_3229174

Thanked by 1jar
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited May 2021

@jar said:

@Hxxx said:

No ... they expanded it to root servers. In the root servers AUP (dedicated servers AUP) it now says is forbidden. Must have happened recently. No doubt .... CHIA had impact on them and they went against it.

Thanked by 1jar
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited May 2021

@sithrebel15 said:

@Hxxx said:

encrypt the drives, route your traffic to another provider, and disable ME with me_cleaner and they shouldn't have any easy way to catch you. Chia doesn't degrade any other users experience as long as you're on a dedicated box.

Good idea but just to further clarify. CHIA does kill SSD's when it's plotting. Is even on their official documentation. As we all know SSD's have limited read/writes...

That's why is suggested to use your SSD to plot (consciously kill it, but it plots faster) but store the plots in HDD storage to actually then farm which seems to be a low resources operation. The key part is the plotting, it just wear out SSD's like it's cookies.

Wouldn't surprise me they noticed this and made changes to their AUP. Certainly two months ago that AUP did allowed crypto mining on root servers, GPU or CPU. But now they certainly have issues with it since the BAN is referred as crypto mining as a whole.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@Hxxx said:

They'd better fix the server crash problem. AMD Ryzen and i9-9900k have persistent reboot issues.

As for me, prohibiting mining is absolutely stupid. It is necessary, on the contrary, until the wave to sell all the servers.

When the dump is done, 70% of the mining will be immediately blown away and there will be a lot of cheap servers again.

• kalipuskalipus Member

@Hxxx said:

reference? did not get any mail about those changes

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited May 2021

I believe they are not obligated to notify. AUP is on their website, go to the "root servers" part. @kalipus

• @Vova1234 said:
    They'd better fix the server crash problem. AMD Ryzen and i9-9900k have persistent reboot issues.

Can you elaborate on this? We have been experiencing this on some new Zen 3 hardware.