Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing a 4 node Dell C6220, cheap
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sharing a 4 node Dell C6220, cheap

Anyone interested?

I'll buy this config - 4 nodes, each with own IPMI:

2x E5-2670v1 (15500 bench, 1500 single, 8c16t, 2.6-3.3Ghz)
128GB (16x8GB) DDR3-ECC
2x2TB HDD (WD RE, used)
256GB SSD (Cheap-ish SATA ones i buy new)

Config will cost me 600EUR shipped (as i have thousands of 8GB DIMMs, HDDs and CPUs laying around i just have to buy the chassis), or 150EUR per node.

Colo will be 100EUR, including 100TB on Gbit, DDoS Protection and BGP. I'll route my own /24.

I want to keep 1-2 nodes and give the others cheaply to cover my costs partially.

I'm thinking of charging 200EUR setup and then 30EUR (or 150EUR setup and 40EUR) per node monthly, including 30TB on Gbit and a /29 v4 (more IPs available, infinite).

Most likely in Moldtelecom/Alexhost/Trabia (Chisinau/MD), but i am open to other options if anyone is interested - I like exotic locations so we could put it to my infra in Kosovo/Bosnia/Serbia or find something else interesting (eg. Albania, Montenegro... anything that does not charge import taxes or where i can bribe my way through, like Ukraine/Belarus).

THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL OFFER, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN RUNNING MORE THAN 1 OR 2 OF THESE TO RENT OUT

Comments

• CybrCybr Member
    edited May 2021

I'd be interested, if the location is suitable.

I have many nodes and I'm looking for affordable ones with good peering, BGP and DDoS protection in the region as well as other exotic locations.

This arrangement would tick most boxes for me, but the CPU single core performance is unfortunately a little on the low side for my needs. I'm guessing those are the highest clock ones you have laying around.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

well, what location is interesting to you?

I can get colo pretty much anywhere, mostly looking to establish more non-EU locations tho.

Obviously i also have v6 and can provide BGP.

I assume someone can make good money out of a 128GB RAM/2 CPU node for less than 50EUR/month if you resell VPS on it. As said, Ipv4 no problem at all.

• CybrCybr Member

@William said:
    well, what location is interesting to you?

I can get colo pretty much anywhere, mostly looking to establish more non-EU locations tho.

I edited my message to add more context. I'm also looking for expanding my nodes outside the EU and US. But peering at the location probably matters more than the physical location in this case, since latency is all that really matters.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@Cybr said: but the CPU single core performance is unfortunately a little on the low side for my needs.

I can get anything up to a E5-2690v2 for your nodes, if you are willing to pay the difference. No issue at all. I just did pick the 2670v1 as i have them already.

Same for HDD/SSD config, i am open to anything you ship me or are willing to pay for.

The only fixed thing from my side is the 128Gb RAM full config and that it will be a 2U 4 node system in Eastern Europe or similar due to power costs.

• CybrCybr Member

@William said:
    I can get anything up to a E5-2690v2 for your nodes, if you are willing to pay the difference. No issue at all. I just did pick the 2670v1 as i have them already.

Same for HDD/SSD config, i am open to anything you ship me or are willing to pay for.

The only fixed thing from my side is the 128Gb RAM full config and that it will be a 2U 4 node system in Eastern Europe or similar due to power costs.

Sounds like a good fit. Let me know what the difference would be for the CPU.

• WilliamWilliam Member

I'll PM you some configs.

Anyone else interested let me know - 2-3 still left if this works out.

Thanked by 1Cybr
  • CybrCybr Member

I may end up taking 2 of them, even though I probably shouldn't, since I won't need it for at least a few months and have too many idle nodes already.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited May 2021

Interested too for 1 node. PMed you

• fragpicfragpic Member
    edited May 2021

I might be interested in 1 node too if you're looking to colo in a location with low latency to India.
    I have a use case for an RDS host and this would be perfect if latency was sub 100ms.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@fragpic said: I might be interested if you're looking to colo in locations with low latency to India.

No, as shipping from UK will be insane much. And power in asia is expensive.

I think about Kazakhstan or Armenia though also.

@Cybr said: I may end up taking 2 of them, even though I probably shouldn't, since I won't need it for at least a few months and have too many idle nodes already.

I don't really need to charge you for idle nodes if turned off - I just need to get the purchase price together so i can build and ship. The colo costs are negligible anyway.

Thanked by 1Cybr
  • WilliamWilliam Member

Ok - I have one node sold in Moldova. I'll PM everyone involved.

PM me if still interested there, and i get a second one, not much interested in a 3rd one at this time.

I am willing to do another one in possibly Norway also (Terrahost) or Switzerland (not sure yet, maybe Nine or Metanet), if anyone is interested in that.

• SpectrSpectr Member

Interested, PMd :smile:

• WilliamWilliam Member

NOTE: nobody asked me yet, but the setup does NOT LET YOU OWN THE HARDWARE - You can transfer it to someone else to use at the same price, and keep it indefinitely at this price, also add upgrades with your own hardware but i will not disassemble and ship the blades to anyone. This is simply not cost effective. This will stay in the DC until it is too old to use, and then i have them trash it.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I am interested please DM :)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2021

Im also quite interested in this. But I need to wait till june.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@stefeman said: Im also quite interested in this. But I need to wait till june.

If you are interested - i do one Moldova now with 2 people (online end of this month/early June), and another around mid June with my next salary (online end of June/early July). Same pricing again. 2 blades left of that one.

I see this also not as commercial - Everyone pays pretty much the same, i get rid off the hardware i have laying around and we get excellent service by more purchase power and connections.

I got the idea from a Swiss "Verein" (association) that does similar with colo:

https://communityrack.org/

If anyone makes money off it, good for them, i get newer hardware than i had in Budapest for years (mostly X5675s) and everyone is happy.

Thanked by 2mrclown stefeman
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

go signal!

• VitaVita Member

@William If you are still considering locations, I'm interested in Serbia, I can probably help a bit if needed.

• WilliamWilliam Member

I already have colo in Nis i could put it in, its on the list for later. I prefer my DC in Kosovo though.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@William said:
    I already have colo in Nis i could put it in, its on the list for later. I prefer my DC in Kosovo though.

You can try IPKO in Kosovo, which is the biggest ISP there, but their prices are horrible high...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@William said: more IPs available, infinite

ipv4 exhaustion problem: solved!

• jahrincjahrinc Member

Sent you a PM

• Interested. Sent you a PM

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@AlbaHost said: You can try IPKO in Kosovo, which is the biggest ISP there, but their prices are horrible high...

I already have a rack in Pristina. I pay less for BW than in Bosnia there. Power nearly the same. Pricing is very near Serbia.

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@William I am interested. I'll slide into your PM's.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • WilliamWilliam Member

Replied to PMs from tonight.

As i sold one like this already: I happily accept cash by postal mail (or crypto, with a fee to cover conversion to EUR), anonymous, i have no need for customer data anyway.

I can also add custom hardware if you ship it to me/the DC (per node 3 HDDs @ SATA 6G, 1 PCIe 2.0 x8, 16 DIMMs, 2 socket 2011-1 CPUs), but i will not return it unless you pay the full remote hands+shipping costs when you want it back. Custom HDDs will not lower setup costs. I do not return custom CPUs, C6220 are insane to disassemble.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • bobebobe Member

Interested, subject to SSD, please DM me with resources and costs

• WilliamWilliam Member

PMd.

I also realised this is essentially a SPAC, everybody throws in money, we find an ISP to occupy or it just goes back to the investors - Maybe i did too much stonk trading in the last months...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • kh81kh81 Member

@William said: I can also add custom hardware if you ship it to me/the DC (per node 3 HDDs @ SATA 6G, 1 PCIe 2.0 x8, 16 DIMMs, 2 socket 2011-1 CPUs), but i will not return it unless you pay the full remote hands+shipping costs when you want it back. Custom HDDs will not lower setup costs. I do not return custom CPUs, C6220 are insane to disassemble.

If pickup is possible we might be interested in the near future. Depending on DC location, which AS# would these be in?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

You do not purchase rights to the hardware. I noted this multiple times already.

The offer is so i get rid off unused RAM mostly and get some personal server space, i have no interest in giving it away for free. 16 8GB DIMMs are alone worth 250EUR.