Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone started mining Chia with server??? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone started mining Chia with server???

2»

Comments

• @skorupion said:

@Francisco said:

@xiaopigu said:
    :o

@gemuruhco said:
    Chia dropped today by 12-14%.

My guess is it settles around where filecoin is, which is ~$120.

You gotta think. If it stayed at $600/each, we'd never be able to get a harddrive again because it'd be the most profitable coin out there, end of.

Francisco

Its at 1 k

OH MY GOD!
    Please down...please... :'(

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Eh, this shit.
    Hetzner SB is fucking empty, nothing higher than 8TB.

• Do providers here allow customers mining Chia on their servers?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@flawsome said:
    Do providers here allow customers mining Chia on their servers?

Mining is not allowed. Plotting Chia is not allowed.

Farming Chia is allowed, because it does not abuse server resources.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • Seems like Hetzner have recently changed their SLA and policy to ban cryptomining(plotting/farming) on root servers too.

Linked here

Hopefully they act on it, and we get sane prices on auction again.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@kwaralala said:
    Seems like Hetzner have recently changed their SLA and policy to ban cryptomining(plotting/farming) on root servers too.

Linked here

They could do DPI and kick all miners easily.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @kwaralala said:
    Seems like Hetzner have recently changed their SLA and policy to ban cryptomining(plotting/farming) on root servers too.

Linked here

@terrahost seems to have done so too.
    Updated 4th May to include HDD

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Neoon said:

@kwaralala said:

They could do DPI and kick all miners easily.

Or maybe just monitor port 8444?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@skorupion said: Its at 1 k

God. Dammit.

Francisco

@gemuruhco said:

@skorupion said:

@Francisco said:

@xiaopigu said:
    :o

@gemuruhco said:
    Chia dropped today by 12-14%.

My guess is it settles around where filecoin is, which is ~$120.

You gotta think. If it stayed at $600/each, we'd never be able to get a harddrive again because it'd be the most profitable coin out there, end of.

Francisco

Its at 1 k

OH MY GOD!
    Please down...please... :'(

1.3 K

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Anyone wanna send me some? :joy:

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited May 2021

i started three days ago, had some issues to find good setup between disk I/O and amount of plots and also to get anything right online, but have now at least 7 ready plots and about 4 almost done, so this is, from the chiacalc view, about 90 USD with 7 plots online per months, would say it is not bad for 3 days plotting with some hdd dedis, which only have a 2x2tb btrfs with i5-4770 and a 2tb i3-2130, so long i snapped another 10$ i5-530 with 2tb from oneprovider, we'll see how it performs.

have at home only a quad laptop, so i am plotting mostly online and will start a vds rig next days with 20-40 machines, each about 4 vcores :)

think for long term online sharing i will just take a bunch of disks at JBOD and my banana pi with sata multiplicator and seed it online with 50Mbit upload, will be the cheapest solution and having about 8x 2tb wd old drives laying around and about 45TB on external disks, should be fine.

got also three domains, someone want plots.cloud?

• @kwaralala said:

Linked here

unbelievable ~ hahah

• kalipuskalipus Member
    edited May 2021

i got two dedis before the here talked changes in SLA occur and still mining, without any notice about changes or any abuse message, but they both hdd's, so maybe they only focus on ssd shreddings

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

I launched several rafts yesterday to cleanly see how it works. All that loads the disk is just creating a file, nothing else. It creates a file in the same way as Bittorrent when it downloads, and then when it is stored it does not even load the disk and the processor.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Vova1234 said: All that loads the disk is just creating a file

yes. but for a ~100GB file it will write about 1.3-1.4TB to your disk before it is finished.
    so if you want to create 100 plots (to fill ~10TB of storage) your poor ssd/nvme is going to be hit with something in the range of 140TB written to it.

now scale that up to any number you think you need in plots and go figure, why this could be harmful to certain (expensive) hardware in a short time span.