Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(VeriSign announced) Increase .COM Prices in September 2021
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(VeriSign announced) Increase .COM Prices in September 2021

someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep
edited May 2021 in General

VeriSign announced financial results for the fourth quarter and the fiscal year ended December 31. The company also announced that the price of .com domain name registration and renewals will be increased from $7.85 to $8.39 on September 1st, 2021. Under the agreement between VeriSign, the U.S. government, and ICANN, the company can increase prices by 7% in 2021 and each of the next three years.

Thanked by 1rtsh

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Isn't this was somehow petitioned and cancelled as price increase were motivated only by pure greed and not necessity?

• swat4swat4 Member

:'( inevitable... yet understandable...

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

@LTniger said:
    Isn't this was somehow petitioned and cancelled as price increase were motivated only by pure greed and not necessity?

I didn't find any press release about this decision cancellation. If you have, please share.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Online petitions were there.

And as always they were pointless.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@deank said:
    Online petitions were there.

And as always they were pointless.

Well, I would not say they are useless in general, can be helpful but they won't do it alone.

• caracalcaracal Member

boycott!! don't renew all your good domains

Thanked by 4o_be_one mrTom imok bdl
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

You lot really are strange sometimes. Idling a VPS, no problem. 50 cent increase in .com and all hell breaks loose.

Thanked by 1o_be_one

@serv_ee said:
    You lot really are strange sometimes. Idling a VPS, no problem. 50 cent increase in .com and all hell breaks loose.

:D

Idling a VPS is passion. It is a way of the life.

Price increase is the evil against all mortals, and it must be battled against. The less the increase is, the more PMS we shall express.

Thanked by 2o_be_one skorupion
  • @LTniger said:

Since they only announced an increase in price but not service (quality), this sounds like greed. Their statement doesn't even contain a commitment to improve the service in general.

• HakimHakim Member

@serv_ee said: You lot really are strange sometimes. Idling a VPS, no problem. 50 cent increase in .com and all hell breaks loose.

Probably because VPS feels like a physical goods but domain is like virtual goods?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

Whatever. There are so many other great gTLDs, I don't care about .com. Let them increase the price as they like... to the moon!

EDIT: Thank you ICANN for holding the price on .com. Internet could not have existed without such TLD as a starting point.

I am still waiting for the .nigh.

endis.nigh, I would pay 6.66 dollars for.

• VJTVJT Member

7% increase in revenue per year without doing anything.

Thanked by 2webcraft sanvit
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@deank said:
    I am still waiting for the .nigh.

endis.nigh, I would pay 6.66 dollars for.

You could get a .is domain and create the subdomain, like end.nigh.is or nigh.end.is

@default said:
    end.nigh.is or nigh.end.is

Neither of which makes any real sense.

It has to be endis.nigh. or end.is.nigh.

• webdevwebdev Member

endis.nigh.club

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:

@default said:

end.is/nigh and theend.is/nigh would work, but both are taken.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@deank said:

@default said:

end.is/nigh and theend.is/nigh would work, but both are taken.

Sure they are taken. The prophecy is known by the whole world. They believe in LET, they have trust in LET.

• @LTniger said:

Maybe you mean .org. I recall something about a price increase and a shit ton of non-profits had a global fit. Last I heard, but makes sense that put a kibosh on things. .com is for commercial, they can take the 7% increase after years without one.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • All price is increasing. And will increase. This is the true nature of this capitalism.

Thanked by 1webcraft

@Ferdous_HOSTYAP said:
    All price is increasing. And will increase. This is the true nature of this capitalism.

Welcome to LET Drama!

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@deank said:

@default said:

endisni.gh

• WilliamWilliam Member

@serv_ee said: You lot really are strange sometimes. Idling a VPS, no problem. 50 cent increase in .com and all hell breaks loose.

Because at 150 million .com domains they will make 75mil$ more - Every year. For zero additional services or costs.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2021

@William said:

Because at 150 million .com domains they will make 75mil$ more - Every year. For zero additional services or costs.

So...? It's a business after all, that's what they are about, money.

It's not like .com has an monopoly over anything. You have tons and tons of options to use.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@serv_ee said: So...? It's a business after all, that's what they are about, money.

It was not a business at first. It was a public service priced to cover costs - then it was sold to an investor.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

@William said:

@serv_ee said: So...? It's a business after all, that's what they are about, money.

It was not a business at first. It was a public service priced to cover costs - then it was sold to an investor.

Was isn't is. If that makes sense.

• VJTVJT Member

@serv_ee said:

By idling VPS, we are supporting small businesses and not helping these big corporates B)

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • vovlervovler Member

unpopular opinion, but I wouldnt mind if they doubled the price just to stop people from hoarding domains