Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much Uptime Percentage is acceptable to be called as a good host? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much Uptime Percentage is acceptable to be called as a good host?

2»

Comments

• chipchip Member

@AXYZE said:

@chip said:

@vladimirlenin said:
    Many providers advertise their servers with a 100% Uptime tag. And it is very hard to believe, as there can be many unforeseen issues like power outage, network down, router failure, disk failure and list goes on...

But anyway, as per your personal optional what percentage of uptime can be considered as acceptable. Every customer would expect 100% Uptime, but for now let us speak about the reality.

As close to 100% as humanly possible... stuff happens and things break but how quickly can you/do you fix them?

100% is a sales gimmick, but 99.99% should be achievable most of the time (that gives something like 30-60 mins downtime a month) and if things are breaking every month something needs replacing

You mean 99.9% right?

Because with 99.99% it would be 4m 22s per month
    With 99.9% its 43m 49s

Yes 99.9%

• 100% when needed. 0% if it's idled.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2021

Some seem to have forgotten where they are. Hint: at low end talk. Plus, quite a few seem to not know how consistently high availability is achieved; that needs quite a bit of both knowledge and experience as well as money.

My expectation for anything up to $5/mo is 99.95% and I'm glad to see that quite a few providers here achieve that or even do even better.
    Between $5 and $10 per month I expect 99.99% and I'm amazed that quite a few providers here do deliver that at about $7/mo.

For professional use I expect a 99.995% SLA (and no "maintenance window" BS) and if broken even a single time I'll leave - but there $20 or even $50 per month is no problem.

Plus I expect an announcement no less than a week in advance for maintenance downtime or else, in the case of an emergency, an immediate public statement and info.

That said, if uptime/availability is really critical we ourselves must do our part too, e.g. by creating/using shadowing, mirroring, etc. our critical applications/services.

• donkodonko Member

High as possible without any network maintenance, node reboot, migrations and more random issues every week.

• pierrepierre Member

@donko said:
    High as possible without any network maintenance, node reboot, migrations and more random issues every week.

@cociu take some notes^

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

... and fried quails flying into our mouths of course ...

Ask for something reasonably achievable and (at least some) providers will try to achieve it, but ask for wet dreams and all you'll get is a bad awakening.

• asasdasasd Member

4 reasons why the "100% uptime guarantee" phrase falls in the false/misleading advertisement category:

1. Vis mayor events are NEVER included in the guaranteed uptime percentage.
    2. If the provider doesn't meet the SLA, the compensation will likely not be automatic, and the amount will be negligible. That's why trading companies do build their own networks.
    3. The advertised uptime does not include planned maintenance (shoutout to the very few exceptions whom I can count on one hand). Even the real high-availailability providers with own cables, multi-datacenters and disaster recovery plans define service windows.
    4. Uptime history of recent years is not included — usually you won't find any links to independent 3rd-party monitoring services either.

What percentage is acceptable?

It depends on the reason of outages. If there were no major kernel/software/hardware updates during the month, I think 99.95% (21 minutes and 55 seconds monthly downtime including planned maintenance) should be the minimum. That percentage is easily reachable even with daily reboots.