Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM announces free SSD upgrades to all OpenVZ 256MB+ plans!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM announces free SSD upgrades to all OpenVZ 256MB+ plans!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited September 2013 in General

Hello everyone,

Figured I'd pass the good news around for all.

Hello everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that all OpenVZ plans with 256MB+ RAM will be upgraded to pure SSD
backed space over the coming months.

When will it be available?

We expect to start offering this later this month. We expect it to take a few months to convert all nodes in Vegas, but we expect to have it all done by Christmas of this year.

Is there a change in price?

None at all.

Do I lose any of my space?

Originally we were planning to drop people by 50% if they moved to an SSD plan but after some fiddling around we found it was better to just use bigger SSD's.

What locations will this be available in?

At this time it will only be done in Vegas. We will handle our east coast location next year.

I bought a space addon, does it get converted to SSD as well?

Sure does. There is no change in price with this. Enjoy the killer deal :D

What RAID setup will you be using?

We'll be using Adaptec 7805 RAID cards. For drives we'll be using either Crucial 8x960GB drives or Samsung 8x1TB drives.

Will you still have the mechanical drive setups?

Only our storage nodes will ultimately being on mechanical drives. At this time it isn't quite affordable to offer 250GB of pure SSD space for $7.00/month :P

How about KVM's?

We expect to offer the same deal to all KVM's later this year.

Why not use more SSD caching?

It's too easy to flood an SSD with useless data to cache slowing down the mechanical array as well as causing the SSD to constantly have to shuffle data around. Our current adaptec cards don't handle SSD caching very well and doing it in software has its own headaches.

In the end we saw it was better for our customers to just upgrade everyone, at our own expense.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and feedback in our mass email survey!

Francisco

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Cool, are you going to announce the dates for the transition closer to the day via email? That would be great.

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited September 2013

Well that's a good news. :D

• Will the 128MB nodes get upgraded to SSD drives at some point as well?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@kiwidave said:
    Will the 128MB nodes get upgraded to SSD drives at some point as well?

Maybe at some point but it isn't at the top of our todo list.

If a user wishes to have the SSD based storage they're welcome to upgrade to a 256MB. It's only $3.50/month and you're getting 30GB space.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    If a user wishes to have the SSD based storage they're welcome to upgrade to a 256MB. It's only $3.50/month and you're getting 30GB space.

Is this just for now or you're now allowing upgrades from the 128 plans?

I still see this on the order page:

Product cannot be upgraded!

We'll be allow 128's to upgrade in the next week or so :)

Aldryic has to write a hook for WHMCS to recalculate credits and such for it.

Once it's in place you'll be able to upgrade to whatever plan without a reinstall. You'll still require a (live) migration, though, to an SSD node when they're available.

Francisco

• Any offers for new customers?

@niceboy said:
    Any offers for new customers?

Like? :)

We don't have any coupons at this time. The SSD upgrade is a pretty big deal we felt.

Francisco

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited September 2013

edited

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited September 2013

@dedicados said:
    250GB of pure SSD space for $7.00/month

where?

Do you know how to read?

@Francisco said

it isn't quite affordable

• JTRJTR Member
    edited September 2013

Well, I'm not complaining about BuyVM's pricing anymore...

What are you guys going to do with all the extra disks?

• @joodle said:

it isn't quite affordable

daaaaaa

ohh dumbass, no i dont know how to read.

I should really fix how I talk :) I write conflicting sentences way too often.

@JTR said:
    Well, I'm not complaining about BuyVM's pricing anymore...

What are you guys going to do with all the extra disks?

I doubt we'll be swimming in tons of extra space. We got many users that use their space + their entire addons.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    I should really fix how I talk :) I write conflicting sentences way too often.

>

I doubt we'll be swimming in tons of extra space. We got many users that use their space + their entire addons.

>

Francisco

Do you have a rough schedule of when you'll upgrade each node? If not, will you be notifying each node's users when the upgrade to their node will take place?

We don't have a set deadline yet but the upgrades will start next month. They were supposed to start this month but with the change in allocation sizes and such we're having to test different RAID cards.

We'll do mass emails each time a node gets upgraded.

As mentioned, we expect to upgrade 8 or so nodes a month.

Francisco

• Great Frans, I Love Pony :)

Pooonnyyy :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Francisco

• @Francisco Am I able to order a pony with the new disk configuration?

@hdpixel said:
    Francisco Am I able to order a pony with the new disk configuration?

Not yet. It'll be ready for next month :) We got delayed since I decided to switch raid cards at the last minute. Originally we were going to use LSI 926x's but decided i'd rather use the new adaptec's instead.

You can order now and you stand a good chance of migrating next month, though.

Francisco

I should also add that 128MB upgrades will also be available for then (Aldryic willing).

Users will be able to switch to a 256MB+ and get automatically migrated to an SSD node. I'm working on the automatic migration code right now.

Francisco